HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

African Sex Worker, unprotected oral / possible vaginal ?

(1/24) > >>

fivecantonas:
Firstly may I say after plucking up the courage to post on this forum I find it inspiring to read some of the stories on here and how brave people are. Not only that but the time a lot of you guys give to users on this forum is to be highly praised !!

I am sure this story is typical but I was wondering if anyone could give me realistic chances of HIV infection after a scare seven weeks ago. I went to the World Cup in the summer with friends in Stuttgart. After a very drunken night I ended up in a brothel in the red light district of the city,
unfortunately my so called friends had left me.

I remember being in a room with a sex worker putting a condom on me and I remember oral sex, I also remember a very brief session of penetrative vaginal sex then she left the room, (lets say five to ten minutes - tops - ALL PROTECTED)

This is where things become a little bit hazy....

I removed the condom and discarded it and she came back with a bottle of champagne we drank it together and there was a lot of fumbling masturbation, further brief oral sex, (ALL UNPROTECTCED). For the life of me I cannot remember further vaginal sex, if there was again we are talking a matter of minutes, (UNPROTECTED) but so much of this part of the night is a blur !! I did not ejaculate and must have came to my senses soon after as I remember hurriedly getting dressed and literally running out of the brothel.

The lady was South African but spoke fluent GERMAN so presume she had resided there for some time. I selfishly went back the next day but apparently she only worked weekends, I spoke to one of her co-workers who said I had nothing to worry about and she was married with three children, (not sure of the relevance of this) and clean, but the fact she told me they always use condoms and I know I received unprotected oral sex leads me to believe they often say this to clients regardless.

Since the incident my testing has been as follows:

1) Full STD screening 10 days after contact, (NEGATIVE)
2) 30 day HIV DUO P24 and HIV 1+2 COMBO TEST Fourth Generation UK Private Clinic, (NEGATIVE)
3) 47 day HIV DUO P24 and HIV 1+2 COMBO TEST Fourth Generation UK Private Clinic, (NEGATIVE)

My doctor tells me that my chances of HIV infection where less than 1% to start even if there was brief vaginal sex and the lady was HIV+ and that with the testing I had received I should move on with my life - he also added 1) at six weeks modern tests are more than 99% accurate and 2) He had never seen a patient testing postive after six weeks of the same exposure since they introduced this test several years ago, coupled with the four week test and the STD screening this should be considered conclusive, and finally 3) I could completely stop worrying about the oral sex regardless of any other events.

In terms of symptoms I have had very few, except what I think must be anxiety driven, i.e. diarrhea / grumbling stomach / sweats / chest pain / sore throat and many sleepless nights, however they all seem to come and go depending on my state of mind.

I have not discussed with my wife as I fear it could destroy our relationship, but today she started with back pain and slight fever - I think I may have passed something on.

Do you think I am being ridiculous? Is my Doctor a complete optimist?, I find it hard to believe that there would only ever be a 1% chance of transmission when you hear of the epidemic in Africa and so many new cases in industrialised countries. I live in the UK and they stipulate three month window period, so why does my doc tell me at six weeks everything is fine?

I am close to tears most days worrying about going for a further test, i.e. 10 / 12 weeks and the fact I could have infected my wife.

Thanks in advance for any responses...(sorry for the novel like post)

Matty the Damned:
Five,

First up let me say that HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. Particularly from female to male. There is absolutely no risk to you from the unprotected oral sex you had. HIV is not transmitted that way.

Since you can't recall if you had unprotected vaginal sex (though it seems unlikely given that the sex worker put a condom on you at the start -- why would she change half way through?) you're right to have a test. Your 47 day result is an excellent indicator of a negative results at the 12-13 week mark.

Sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year. A full screen includes an HIV antibody test. You should know that there are other STD's, such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea which are far more prevalent and contagious than HIV.

I would encourage you to read our glorious Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Regards,

MtD

fivecantonas:
Hi there...

Thanks for the lightning quick response, I did read all the welcome notes and the main reason I continued to post a thread was I could not understand how my doctor has come to the assumptions he has?

If a test at four weeks and six weeks is considered conclusive, why the 12 week window period? I do not understand where he has come to the 99% figure, also I have read so many stories of people contracting HIV through one single sexual act I also find it hard to acknowledge 1% per vaginal sexual act being a realistic figure - I have no problem in being told the truth about my situation, but felt that due to it being a private clinic they just wanted my money and that was that....

I have a test schduled with a GUM clinic in Manchester, (England) at the 10 week point to try and ease some of my anxiety, but I think this could be a tough three weeks....

Still very worried about the true transmission risks?

Matty the Damned:
If a test at four weeks and six weeks is considered conclusive, why the 12 week window period? I do not understand where he has come to the 99% figure, also I have read so many stories of people contracting HIV through one single sexual act I also find it hard to acknowledge 1% per vaginal sexual act being a realistic figure - I have no problem in being told the truth about my situation, but felt that due to it being a private clinic they just wanted my money and that was that....

Five,

Test results at 4-6 weeks are not considered conclusive. Some rare cases take up to 12-13 weeks to test positive. We work with this window to period so that everyone is included. HIV/AIDS is so serious 99% is just not good enough.

In fact don't worry about numbers like 99% or the like. With reference to individual cases, such as yours they're meaningless. I fully expect (as does your doctor) that you will test negative at the 12 week mark.

Indeed rather than fretting about percentages and window periods, you might want to think about the sorts of behaviours that lead you to situations like this one. Drinking and casual sex are not a good mix, as you have learned.

Regards,

MtD

fivecantonas:
Thanks for your encouraging words I am of the same opinion that looking at the 1% is meaningless, hope you do not mind answering a few other questions niggling in my mind?

1) Would you advise protected sex with my partner until this point?

2) Do you think I should skip the 10 week test and just re-scheulde at 12 week, i.e. does 10 weeks decrease my chances even further?

3) I read today that in America some experts belive 6 months to be the only real conclusive negative result, I really do not think I could go on with the stress and anxiety I am feeling for 6 months.

Anyway I am off to try and catch some zzzzz's its 12.20am in England and tomorrow I go on holiday for two weeks to France, although I fear it may not be the most enjoyable time of my life.

best regards, Five.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version