POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 08:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 621377
  • Total Topics: 46816
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: steady stream of new discoveries  (Read 1263 times)

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
steady stream of new discoveries
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
 hi, everyone
                  First of all let me say I'm newly diagnosed and on medication, just over a year. So please forgive me for any ignorance or lack of knowledge I may show about this virus and my condition. As you can imagine I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the subject.
      There seems to have been a steady stream of new discoveries been made, usually by a small research group in a university, which is claimed to lead to a cure or a treatment breakthrough; these claims have accompanied with an appeal for more funding.
     I believe if we are to find a cure it will come from a small research group and not from a big pharmaceutical company.
     My question is this; is there an independent body, or a government body, which looks at these research to asses their feasibility for further study or research.
           It would be a shame if some discovery by a little known "geek" professor  is left on the desk and forgotten about, which could have lead to a fantastic treatment or a cure.

PS. my congratulations to the people who run this wonderfull website; it has helped me a great deal.

Sam,   London UK.
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline xman

Re: steady stream of new discoveries
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
I believe if we are to find a cure it will come from a small research group and not from a big pharmaceutical company.
     My question is this; is there an independent body, or a government body, which looks at these research to asses their feasibility for further study or research.
           It would be a shame if some discovery by a little known "geek" professor  is left on the desk and forgotten about, which could have lead to a fantastic treatment or a cure.

The problem is that the small research groups once discovered an efficient way to combat the virus they need a big partner to put the product on the market. I sincerely don't know if one of the big pharma companies are so excited about a possible cure that leads to a less or that even cancels the need for current HAART. It's not conspiracy theorizing but a simple commercial logic.

If you look at their research and developing programs they never invested in products for the eradication or the cure. They did everything to make this disease a chronic condition. Take a look also at the timeline for treatment approvals. In the '80/'90 in a few years they reached a breakthrough in treatment with the discovery of HAART. Now from that discovery 13 years passed an all we have available are clones of the old medicines which work better and with fewer side effects.

There was a huge decrease in new therapies since HAART has proven to work and investments in more sophisticated approaches are lacking for the low financial outcome. The companies needs to put a lot of money in research and clinical trials. Since they act like any other industry a profitable bottom line is requested.

The last discoveries are certainly interesting and relatively useful but from the test tube to the commercial endpoint the way is very very long. We probably never benefit from such discoveries or maybe in 20-30 years. I'm not pessimistic but I'm trying to keep realism. Every month many exciting articles are published. The issue is that 90% of those theories will not lead to anything useful for us, or at least not in the short term.
sign the petition launched by the aids policy project addressed to the nih aimed to increase the money needed to find the cure:

http://www.aidspolicyproject.org/petition_for_the_nih

we can make a difference and we need to fight. please support them! it doesn't cost you anything. they need it now more than ever!

Offline sam66

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:52:10 AM »

Agreed, there is very little incentive for any one who is making money ( lots and lots ) to kill the "golden goose"; and lose billions in revenue.

The problem is that the small research groups once discovered an efficient way to combat the virus they need a big partner to put the product on the market. I sincerely don't know if one of the big pharma companies are so excited about a possible cure that leads to a less or that even cancels the need for current HAART. It's not conspiracy theorizing but a simple commercial logic.

Having said that I'm not sure we should be pointing the finger in one direction only. May be those who have to pay for the drugs, in the UK it's the government (NHS) and in USA ( as far as I know ) it's the health insurance companies. May be they should be making more of an active part in search for a cure.
     Then there are the countless number of NGO's and charities that operate all over the world, with budgets of billions to combat HIV. Now I'm not doubting their motives or their goals, they have done great work.They have fought many battles and won many. But is it possible they have lost sight of " The Prime Directive" and as with any large organisation , self survival have become the goal, and given up on the WAR.
          Should we find a cure by some merical there would be a great number of people out of work.

Offline BalkanPower

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:06:05 AM »

But if there would be a cure, then more people would be willing to have unsafe sex, leading to more infections...more infections lead to more use of that particular cure. wouldnt they keep making money?

Offline sam66

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:16:31 AM »
mmmh, I can see your logic, sort of

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.