POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 05:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 621218
  • Total Topics: 46799
  • Online Today: 229
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 181
Total: 185

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Information Overload. What happens to me Next?  (Read 504 times)

Offline Mondo

Information Overload. What happens to me Next?
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »

Hi all , this is my first vist to the forum.

I was thinking the other day about the problem of information overload. By that I mean that there is so much information out there and lots of people that are willing to share their experiences with the infection and treatment. I sometimes find myself having mood swings based on the vast and varied content of the information. I get scared and start looking in the mirror for the first signs of body shape changes, hair loss and swelling around the glands my neck etc.

I think one of the key strategies for me to gaining benefit from forums and info from the internet etc, is to be mindful of a few key factors that must considered when searching for answers.

Everyone has a different medical profile. No two people were the same age, weight, etc when they contracted the infection. We all carry a history of illnesses from our life before HIV. Our medical intervention and treatments commenced at different stages of the infections progress and the medications we take are often different from others. So the list goes on.

I have (and still do at times) read articles and have trawled the net for info and came away convinced that I was eventually going to have all these horrific things happen to me.

No wonder we get depressed, isolate ourselves and feel like lepers.

I知 sure there are others that get scared and think that the problems that some people have will eventually happen to them.

I think it is beneficial to share our experiences, seek and give support. We also have responsibility to maintain our mental health. If we can be mindful that although we have the infection in common, we are unique in the way our body and mind will respond to this infection.

:)

Mondo
Just because I知 paranoid doesn稚 mean I知 not being followed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:18:18 PM by Mondo »
Just because I知 paranoid doesn稚 mean I知 not being followed.

Offline hotpuppy

Re: Information Overload. What happens to me Next?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
Mondo,
  Someone once told me that HIV is not a race, it's a marathon.  I think that's important to keep in mind.  In a 50 yard dash you look at all 50 yards as you race through them.  You look for pot holes, rainstorms, loose dogs, and more. 

In a Marathon you can't see all 27 miles at once.  You have to take each block, each mile as you get to it.  Life with HIV is alot like that.  You are right, we are each unique.  No telling if you will suffer from any number of horrific things.  However, if you do, you know what to look for.

Education is your friend.  Knowledge is power and I am grateful for the knowledge passed on by others who have gone before me.

One thing that will help tremendously is to get out there and start making friends.  I often jokingly refer to HIV as if it is the pet you can't get rid of.  Like any good pet owner, I like to socialize with others who have the same pet.  I wouldn't take my cat to a dog park, and I don't particularly enjoy taking my HIV to certain places.  I do enjoy having friends who have HIV because we have common challenges, headaches, and successes that we can talk about.

In most areas there are HIV support groups.  In Houston we have several to choose from.  If you are gay, you may also be interested in SIN.  SIN is the Strength In Numbers network.  SIN is a social networking group for gay men.  There are similar things for str8 folks and lesbians.  In Houston the straight version is called Living Large.  What they all have in common is that they get together, do things, and meet one another.

You can run, but you can't hide, HIV will be right by your side.  You can give it away (although we wish you would't) but you can't get rid of it.  You can try to ignore it, but it will make a mess of you and your life.  The only way to win with HIV is to not let it rule or ruin your life.  HIV is not a death sentence, ignorance and failure to adhere to treatment are a death sentence.

Lastly, you eat a whale one forkful at a time.  Quit trying to swallow the Whale by the tale and you will find that you don't choke as much.  You have lots of time, lots of life to learn about HIV and there is no need to run out and learn it all at once. 

Welcome to the forums.
-Brian
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.