Main Forums > Living With HIV

Still Detectable..... Aaarrgghhh

<< < (3/3)

HIVworker:
I am surprised you didn't take a PI until later. It was my understanding that you should be on a nuke, a NNRTI and a protease. Given your NRTI resistance (which is a little problematic) I don't understand why you weren't on a protease sooner - particularly as you have only mild protease inhibitor resistance...

R

Matty the Damned:
why is undetectability so important?

Pat,

I suspect it's a headspace thing more than anything else. It's something to aim for and, given the brutality of the disease all of us are living with, that ain't always a bad thing.

Unless of course we see a VL of say 200 or whatever as a failure. All that effort, taking pills on time, managing side effects and whatnot can seem to some as such a waste. This is why I rarely look at my absolute VL as meaningful. My VL counts have varied by up to 50,000 between tests but I've been told that such a change is not significant.

As with CD4 counts it's all about trends over time.

MIke,

Your VL is heading in the right direction. You're so close to undectable, that to my mind it doesn't really matter. The trend is the right one. Don't be frustrated, be happy!

Fondly,

MtD

Christine:
Hi Mike,
I have been + since '93, and have never been undetectable. I am very compliant, eat well, rest...all that stuff. Close a few times, but never reached it. I think your numbers are very good. Your trend is one of improvement, no side effects and no oi's.

Your health is more than numbers. It is how you feel mentally, physically, spiritually, how you feel each day.

When I was first diagnosed, and ASO social worker told me not to focus on the numbers, but to live life. I did not believe her at that time, but she was absolutely right. Keep an eye on your counts, but don't worry on them.

Christine

bocker3:

--- Quote from: HIVworker on August 10, 2006, 07:49:53 AM ---I am surprised you didn't take a PI until later. It was my understanding that you should be on a nuke, a NNRTI and a protease. Given your NRTI resistance (which is a little problematic) I don't understand why you weren't on a protease sooner - particularly as you have only mild protease inhibitor resistance...

R

--- End quote ---

Well, the problem here stems from the fact that the lab reports (both in Nov 2005 and May 2006) said that I was susceptible to all Nukes.  It was only when I did some research and found the Mutation/Resistance tool on the Hopkins site and followed up with Dr. Gallant about my concerns with what I found that the true picture came to be.  I then brought that info to my ID doc, who was a bit surprised (and wrote down the link to the Tool for future reference) and we decided to add the PI.
If nothing else, this has absolutely reinforced my desire to be "in charge" of my own care.  The fact that I have a Medical Technology degree (worked in clinical labs for over a dozen years, but not any more) and a Masters in Public Health (yes, I see the irony) makes it a bit easier for me.

Again -- thanks all for your invaluable input and support.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version