HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

How fast do HIV symptoms show up after sexual contact.

(1/1)

Needle:
On Saturday night (8-5-2006) I had  protected sex with a girl I had just met that night.  Even though we properly used a condom I'm  beginning to get scared because all day yesterday (Tuesday 8-9-2006) I had an upset stomach and felt a bit light headed at times.  And now on Wednesday at 2:00 in the morning I woke up sweating  (feels like a fever) and have a bit of a sore throat.  Also, I'm shaking a bit, but don't know if it's because I'm scared of having HIV symptoms or because of the fever I'm getting. 

My question is this: Is it too quick for the HIV symptoms to be showing?  Since it has only been 4 days.   I really do hope its all in my head. Also, how high are the risks of me getting HIV from her (that is if she did have it) with proper use of a male condom?    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

macros951:
Needle, as no one has replied yet I'll just leave a quick message. Some of the regulars & more knowledgable posters will undoubtably be along shortly.

First off you've got absolutley nothing to worry about. You used a condom that didnt break or come off, therefore you were completly protected during intercourse & have no reason to be concerned.

Any symptoms you are experiencing are more than likely stress related & in no way, shape or form an indication that you've been infected. Stop stressing & relax, your risk of exposure to HIV is non-existent.

RapidRod:
Do you really need us to answer those questions? Read the "Welcome" thread at the top of this forum.

Ann:
Needle,

Condoms have been proven to be very effective when it comes to hiv transmission prevention. There have been studies of couples where the negative partner stayed that way when condoms were used correctly and consistently. You can read about it by following the links in the Welcome Thread.

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Only the appropriate test at the appropriate time will inform you of your hiv status. You do not need to test over your protected encounter as you did not have a risk.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version