POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 07:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23759
  • Latest: JV
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643204
  • Total Topics: 48938
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 152
Total: 155

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is the AMG?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline BUZZCUTT

What is the AMG?
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »
Can anyone answer this question for me and also give me the dates.

Thanks
Buzz
Buzz ♥

Offline Robert

Re: What is the AMG?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 05:05:01 PM »

hi buzz

5 years ago some of the members here at Aidsmeds thought it would be fun if we all got together for a long weekend.  About 20 of us ended up meeting in Tororto.  We did it again and met in Montreal.  Then San Francisco.  Last summer we met in Mexico City.  This year we're meeting in Boston. 

The dates are Aug 5-12 in Boston, MA.

It's a simple gathering of some of us from here.  We come from the east coast, the west coast, the midwest, the south, the southwest, New Zealand.  In San Francisco we had quite a few people from England.    We just all get together and have a good time doing and talking about whatever we want.  It's sort of like the Off Topic thread.  Only we meet in person.  We share dinners togethers.  drinks.  tours.  memories. and we have a morning service to honor our friends and family. 

You can read more about it HERE.

Hope you can make it.  IT's a lot of fun.

robert

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
nice posting, Robert.

i would add:
it's casual in nature & attire
it brings a reality of special sort and deeper insight into forum characters
it's people just having some fun, making memories

Mike

p.s. the one in san francisco was outstanding. indeed, those memories will always be sweet.

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
I have attended three of the gatherings.

I don't know. To me it seems every year gets better. I was completely blown away in Montreal, had a fabulous time in San Francisco and Mexico City will forever have a warm place in my heart thanks to the great people who gathered there and who were from there.

It is more than just meeting people from the forums. I have some wonderful friends whom I cherish.

Oh, and then there's the dirt! Well, you should have seen Robert in Montreal, and RAB, well, what can I say, but in a Speedo?!?!

I am kidding about the dirt, but we do have some incredible memories we have created with one another.

I hope you can make to Boston.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:54:25 AM »
Mim and  I traveled to Mexico last year for our very first AMG.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  She was the youngest to ever attend (7 at the time).  What I found was a group of amazing people. We were from all walks and stages of life, yet we had a commonality that went beyond a virus.  Whether I was having an early morning chocolate milk with Santi (he had coffee, I had milk), sharing a chocolate donut with Mike (are we seeing a theme here?), listening to Rab explain for the 400th time how I should hold my purse so it doesn't get stolen, making Basquo blush, watching Jody fix her boo-boo better than I did, or seeing my 7yr old down her meds with the rest of the group - I felt at home. 

What I also found was HOPE.  There were long-term surviors who were living life - laughing and loving.  I could look at Mim and know that if they could make it, coming from the darkest times of HIV / AIDS, then she could make it, too. 

This year Hubby will be joining us as we travel to Boston.  I can't wait to see old friends and meet new ones.  See you in August!

Mum (and Mini and Hubby)
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
Thanks, Mark, Mike, Robert, Mum, Mini and Hubby!

It is nice that this takes place once a year, I am trying to make, but funds are low, I will see what happens.

Are there any conferences?

Buzz
Buzz ♥

Offline RapidRod

Re: !
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
I have attended three of the gatherings.

I don't know. To me it seems every year gets better. I was completely blown away in Montreal, had a fabulous time in San Francisco and Mexico City will forever have a warm place in my heart thanks to the great people who gathered there and who were from there.

It is more than just meeting people from the forums. I have some wonderful friends whom I cherish.

Oh, and then there's the dirt! Well, you should have seen Robert in Montreal, and RAB, well, what can I say, but in a Speedo?!?!

I am kidding about the dirt, but we do have some incredible memories we have created with one another.

I hope you can make to Boston.

HUGS,

Mark

Dirt, LOL, hey Robert could we ever spread some on Mark.  :D Alll joke aside AMG is worth every minute of it. You guys won't have to wait around to hear Jan's accent, she never shuts up.  ;) As Robert said, we did have a good group from the UK and they were a blast. Just don't try to drink them under the table they had booze in their bottles when they were babies. Go if you possibly can and enjoy yourself.

Rodney

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »

Are there any conferences?

Tim Horn gave a presentation on advances in medicine while we were in Montreal. It was very informative (and gave my mom enough info to tell my grandmother I was going to a healthcare convention.)

Nothing planned for this year, that I'm aware of, but I'd be happy to give a presentation on HIPAA Privacy and Security, if anyone's interested.

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:50:14 AM »
Thanks for the info Bas and all the others, a HIPPA presentation would be a good idea, even as a refreshment course.
Buzz ♥

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »
Now just so RAB does not get confused.... it's a HIPPA presentation, not a HIPPO presentation (world of difference!)
 ;D
Gary

Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »
Now just so RAB does not get confused.... it's a HIPPA presentation, not a HIPPO presentation (world of difference!)
 ;D
Gary

I'm sure the first thing I'll cover is how to spell   HIPAA!  ;)

Offline minismom

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:10:07 PM »
Basquo's HIPAA presentation: keep your mouth shut.  Thank you for coming.  Where's the bar?

;) ;D :-*
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Basquo

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Basquo's HIPAA presentation: keep your mouth shut.  Thank you for coming.  Where's the bar?

;) ;D :-*

Just keep typing, lady, just keeeeeeep typing!  >:(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 06:04:30 AM »
Just keep typing, lady, just keeeeeeep typing!  >:(

Absolutely, Mum. What on earth made you think anyone would have to ask where the bar is? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline minismom

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:05:27 AM »
Did I ever tell you all the story about the MC Meet n' Greet when Basquo thought he was having a private sign language conversation with Santi - in front of me - who was a sign language interpretor?  It went something like this..... ;D

Mum (who pleads HIPAA..lol)

ps love you, Basquo :-*

www.watoto.com

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
So the AMG is just a social gathering for the members?  I don't mind about the seminars however the bar sounds like fun.  I have been afraid to drink while on my meds until the other night at Margarita Ville in Orlando.  8)
Buzz ♥

Offline mjmel

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:39 AM »
So the AMG is just a social gathering for the members?  I don't mind about the seminars however the bar sounds like fun.  I have been afraid to drink while on my meds until the other night at Margarita Ville in Orlando.  8)

1. Exactly. a social gathering. it makes sense that many are participants of the forum but attendees have been an accompanying friend or spouse who are not hiv+ and do not participate in the forum. they have been comfy with the group. not a member requirement thing so much.
2. what seminars? haven't been to one yet.
3. A day of remembrance: on one day we designate a spot in our trip to honor those gone. we gather in a circle. it is emotional. it is humanity in motion.
4. drinking: we have fun. I haven't seen anyone fall-down-drunk yet. although, i recall one evening in Mexico (AMG 08). My friend, Miss Philicia, whom I went to the bar with--abandoned me and I had to walk back to the hotel. alone. it wasn't such an easy a task but I did enjoy observing sunrise.  ::)

:)

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »
[quote author=mjmel link=topic=27163.circle. it4. drinking: we have fun. I haven't seen anyone fall-down-drunk yet. although, i recall one evening in Mexico (AMG 08). My friend, Miss Philicia, whom I went to the bar with--abandoned me and I had to walk back to the hotel. alone. it wasn't such an easy a task but I did enjoy observing sunrise.  ::)

:)
[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean, i had many of those nights back in the 80's, waking up on the neighbors lawn.   8)Thanks for the reply
Buzz ♥

Offline aztecan

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 11:36:33 AM »
It isn't just drinking, etc. We also get to see many of the sites and enjoy fabulous food.

In Mexico City, we went to Teotiuacan and visited the ruins. Some of us climbed the pyramids there. My avatar photo was taken on top of the Pyramid of the Sun.

We also saw many museums, historic buildings, cathedrals, etc. We went shopping (OK, there is nothing wrong with retail therapy! ;))

It is a grand time.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »
My friend, Miss Philicia, whom I went to the bar with--abandoned me and I had to walk back to the hotel. alone. it wasn't such an easy a task but I did enjoy observing sunrise.  ::)

She's very crafty like that, or so I've heard.  Then again, 8 shots of tequila and a Mexican man dangling foreskin in one's face tends to obscure rational thought.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline mjmel

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
LOL. Yep, shots of tequilla were awesome. And the dude was sweet. I was just ribbing you a bit. All in fun.
 :-*
Mike

Offline aztecan

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »
Mike, did you get the stripper to perform for you too!  ;D

(Y'all can take that any way you want! ;))

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »

I just want to know...does boston have the same type of clubs they have in Montreal?  they're really not that far apart so I imagine the boys play the circuit up and down the coast.

Or are they banned in boston?

robt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.