POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23787
  • Latest: rvarona
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643584
  • Total Topics: 48969
  • Online Today: 203
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Saved by the bell. Again.  (Read 657 times)

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Saved by the bell. Again.
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:44:43 AM »
Once a day dosing was a breeze.  A few pills with breakfast and Iím done for  the day.  However in March  I added Isentress to my regimen, which meant a second dose in the evening.  After  the first couple of days, I had a hard time remembering, and was over four hours late a couple of times.  My solution was to get an alarm clock for downstairs, set for 8:00 pm.  It works, and after that first week and a half, Iíve been right on time with the evening dose.  Still, it takes me by surprise more often than not.  My adherence would be terrible without it.

The Isentress was added because my viral load has been stalled at the verge of undetectable since last summer.  I was reluctant to change my original regimen because it has been so tolerable, but after three straight test results between 51 and 66, I was persuaded to make the change, which was adding Isentress to Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir.  I got my lab results back today after seven weeks on the new regimen, and the current viral load is 61.  Curses!  Iíll see the ID doc in a couple of weeks for his opinion.  I had a hard time getting alarmed over this before, but now Iím starting to feel a little uneasy.

But there was good news too!  The CD4, which has crept from 157 to 299 over the course of my first year on meds, jumped to 449.  The percentage is good too, 39%.  The two previous results were 34% and 40%, after the first five results were all around 20%.  So at last I feel I have some margin of safety against opportunistic infections.

Speaking of which, I saw a dermatologist last Friday.  Iíve had several recent warty-looking things, and also wanted a general exam.  She pronounced the warts to be molluscum contagiosum.  I hadnít considered that possibility even though Iíve read about it here.  After checking me out, she cut off the molluscum thingy next to my eye, and froze the two on my butt.  Then she removed a small black mole from my thigh for biopsy.  Itís been there as long as I can remember without changing, so I donít expect any problem from that.

This was my first visit to this doctor, and it went well.  She didnít seem bothered by my HIV, and asked a few questions about my progress, and who was treating me for it.  Later while dressing my wounds, her young assistant told me that her brother is seeing the same doctor.  Heís a GP but specializes in HIV patients, so I assume the brother is poz.

To round out the week, I received my annual health insurance premium increase notice.  They want to bump it $234 a quarter, but if they like my answers to a short questionnaire, it will go up only $121.  The only possible stickler there is number five, asking if I received a diagnosis for HIV or AIDS, among other ďprogressive disabling conditionsĒ, in the past twelve months.  Since I received my diagnoses prior to then I should be good.

I guess the moral of this boring tale is that if you take your pills, monitor your health, and keep reasonably healthy habits, HIV can be, well, boring.  Now itís past my bedtime, and Iíve about bored myself to sleep.  Good night all.
...................VL.....CD4.....%
-----------------------------------------
08/10-- ......<40.....290.....42
05/10-- ......<48.....290.....46
02/10-- ......<48.....481.....44
10/09-- ......<48.....277.....46
07/09-- ......<48.....300.....38
05/09-- ........51.....449.....39
03/09-- Added Isentress
02/09-- ........65.....299.....34
11/08-- ........62.....242.....40
08/08-- ........66.....212.....29
05/08-- ......202.....217.....27
03/08-- ....5210.....187.....21
02/08-- Began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
12/07-- 273,000.....157.....22
11/07-- 229,000.....209.....22
10/07-- Diagnosis

It's a complex world.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: Saved by the bell. Again.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »
Hey Blue -- just wanted to thank you for the update.  Your numbers are sounding great, especially the CD4%.  And a VL of 61 is almost undetectable, so I wouldn't fret this much.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.