POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 01:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639662
  • Total Topics: 48553
  • Online Today: 210
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 151
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The beginning to the three-month cycle.  (Read 1083 times)

Offline newhorizon80

The beginning to the three-month cycle.
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was going to update my old original post, but I figured why dig it up-- today marked the first visit to my Dr. for my first regular blood draw on three month cycle.  To refresh, He's been my primary care physician for nearly five years now and so we at least have pre-HIV history together (always keeps appointments, follow his advice, openly talk about gay issues, etc.).

I'm all caught up to date with my immunizations.

It was a quick appointment as I really didn't have much to say; he asked how I've been doing, which, surprisingly, very well, except for the sex department.. it's been too long!! ;) [Just being honest!!] He's very satisfied with my first set of numbers, so he explained how our future tests will go and what he'll be looking for (trends).

After reading a lot of posts on here; I was a little surprised that he only requested a CD4/CD8 count.  He told me so and that he will not be testing for a viral load.  He did say in my last meeting with him that he watches CD4 count and that the VL isn't as important, again, he does a lot of HIV work (even the county offices refer newly positive people to him).

I personally trust that my Doctor, because of our good history together, would be making good decisions for me.  I would of liked to had my VL tested for numbers sake only-- I'm a numbers kind of guy; so, I plan on telling him to request that test in April.

I can call in to an automated line with my code to check my results.. he said it will be a simple message (from him) like 'Your CD4 was very good, see you in three months" or 'Please make an appointment to see me"

Like I said, I'm an OCD numbers person-- but calling in will save me a 35 mile drive to the office.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that he'll leave me a CD4 count in the message, if not, I can get it from him on a future office visit.

Hoping for the best. :)
10/30/08: CD4: 486 VL: 13,000
04/23/09: CD4: 456 VL: 8,890
10/27/09: CD4: 358 VL: 6,260
04/27/10: CD4: 413 VL: 7,800
10/19/10: CD4: 416 VL: 26,400*
11/15/10: CD4: 499 VL: 0*
04/05/11: CD4: 521
09/20/11: CD4: 585
03/06/12: CD4: 634
05/29/12: CD4: 643
08/21/12: CD4: 968

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
Re: The beginning to the three-month cycle.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:24:51 PM »
Hey Newhorizon,

I always get copies of my labs from my doctor. I have all the records since I started doing routine labs in 1992.

I graph them using the cool tools here. It makes it easy to spot trends and its just interesting.

But I promise, I'm not OCD like everyone says I am.  ::)

Regarding only doing CD4s, that was all we had until the mid 90s.

The viral load is important after starting meds, but in some areas, I have heard they don't do them before meds. I think in Britain the labs are done this way, or I could be wrong.

Edited to add, one of the good things about doing viral loads earlier is knowing whether you are maintaining things at a plateau level or if the viral load is beginning to rise.

But that is between you and your doc.

Let us know what the results are.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:26:59 PM by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
I'm in the UK and they usually  do my viral load, but not always. It drives me nuts when they don't do it - so I normally make sure they do.

I used to find out my numbers six weeks after the blood draw, but these days I have to wait three months. I can ring to find out about two weeks after, but it's such a hassle and I'm made to feel that I'm wasting their time... "We'll ring YOU if there's any problem (big sigh)" and that drives me nuts too, but I've learned to live with it.

If I were you, I'd make sure they did my VL at least twice a year. You've got every right to have this information, meds or no meds.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »
I guess I should feel happy to get my CD4/8/VL 48h after the blood drawn directly from the lab neh ?  :)

Offline newhorizon80

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »

Hello again,

I was finally able to call-in and get my results for my recent CD4 count.  I called a few hours ago and didn't jot down the number, I believe it was 562 (or 582?).. either way, it's higher than my initial count on 10/30..  He did not leave a CD4% in the message, and also, we did not test for viral load.

The results were delayed due to the processing facility requesting another draw (original draw on 1/29).  Redraw for blood was 2/11.  I guess they spilled/containmated my blood the first time around.. sigh!

Thanks for reading.  :)

Offline newhorizon80

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »
My latest update:

CD4: 456 / VL: 8,890 / I don't have CD4% information.

This was a call-in and my Dr. left me a message noting the drop but no reason to be alarmed (which I'm not.. I'm aware of the changes in CD4 count).  I just wanted to mention when I went in for my draw (two weeks ago) my Dr. wanted me to think about the latest research suggesting starting HAART earlier.  I don't know why, but I was kind of taken back by it (thinking that I wouldn't need to start it anytime soon).  He said he'll talk more about it in July.

Now, when I went in for my draw, I was coming off a really intense cold that was going around at work-- took about two weeks to clear up (being able to breath without congestion!)-- what affect if any, would that have my CD4?  I was thinking if I had an infection (cold, etc.), my count would be higher (fighting an infection?)

..Next update in July.  Thanks for reading everyone! :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.