POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 08:59:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23101
  • Latest: whale.
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632592
  • Total Topics: 47914
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: milk thisltle with atripla  (Read 1060 times)

Offline hades01

milk thisltle with atripla
« on: April 17, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone is taking milk thistle to help your liver and have experience any issues while taking atripal. my last lab work show high liver enzymes (could be related to the bactrim which i am no longer taking) but i was wondering if anyone has take any type of liver support pills.
Thanks in advance for all your help and support  :) ;) :D ;D
Eduardo Cabrera
"Life will never give me what i want, only what is best for me"
08-08-2008 HIV+ (What a day)
08-14-2008 VL 105K   CD4 199 (Pretified and hopeless)
11-14-2008 Started Atripla  and no side effects at all yet
Lab Results 12-31-2008 VL 220 CD4 189
Lab Results 03-31-2009 VL undetectable CD4 308
Lab Results 06-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 274
Lab Results 09-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 410
Lab Results 10-06-2010 VL Undetectable & CD4 514 %34

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
Re: milk thisltle with atripla
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
Hey Hades01

OK, I have to do this after reading your name. " How the hell are ya!  ;) "

Now that I have that out of my system, let's discuss milk thistle.

I have taken 350 mgs of Milk Thistle every day for at least a decade now. There are a lot of arguments about its use and whether it is beneficial.

The main caution with its use has been with those taking protease inhibitors. It is specifically mentioned in the interactions section under the information for Lexiva, which I take.

I have never had a problem with it interfering with my meds and have never heard of it posing any potential problems with Atripla or any of its components.

Here is some info I found on the subject that came from the International Conference on HIV/AIDS in Mexico City last year.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hepatitis_silymarin_milk_thistle_2211_15125.shtml

One thing I always mention to people who are considering complementary therapies of any kind is to always let your doctor know what it is you plan to take. That way he/she can be aware of what you are doing and discuss any cautions or problems that might be waiting in the wings.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:40:49 PM by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline hades01

Re: milk thisltle with atripla
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
Hey how are you?  That hell comment was funny   :) ;) :D ;D

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my question. I actually posted the question due to high liver enzymes on my last lab work but that could have been related to the fact that i was taking bactrim everyday for almost 7 months!. I will definitely talk to my doctor but it does help to know that i am not the only one considering helping my liver.
Hugs

Hades.......
Eduardo Cabrera
"Life will never give me what i want, only what is best for me"
08-08-2008 HIV+ (What a day)
08-14-2008 VL 105K   CD4 199 (Pretified and hopeless)
11-14-2008 Started Atripla  and no side effects at all yet
Lab Results 12-31-2008 VL 220 CD4 189
Lab Results 03-31-2009 VL undetectable CD4 308
Lab Results 06-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 274
Lab Results 09-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 410
Lab Results 10-06-2010 VL Undetectable & CD4 514 %34

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.