Main Forums > Living With HIV

Curse vs Blessing

(1/5) > >>

Life:
I have been reading threads for about a year now..  I hear stories of this being a curse and others who have turned it around...  For those who have found some peace of mind with "living with" I would like to understand how you figure the B word into your lives...   Maybe I can incorporate this word into my /  our lives..  Even my husband continually says to me "Eric we are blessed".  Go figure........ ::)

ademas:
I don't tend to look at things in terms of "curses" or "blessings".
Most days I'm at peace with it, but I think much of that has to do with the amount of time I've been living with it.
Other days it's just a bitch--no way around it.
I guess I'm not particularly enlightened.
xox

Sdgirl:
Hmmmmmmmm, yeah Blessing...........I'm thinking that is not exactly the word I would use to describe it.

I can however say that it HAS made me a better, more tolerant, don't sweat the small stuff woman.  Things that used to get under my skin, no longer bother me. 

For me, my HIV diagnosis has defined WHO I really want to be.  I have a voice, and I sure as hell am going to make sure that it is heard.  Shame on me for not being involved before............but I am now.  I look at myself as the "new face of HIV/AIDS" and I am going to make sure that my face is seen, that my voice is heard and change is evoked.  I know it's why I am here, why I am infected and why I will make a difference.

So "blessed" isn't the word I would necessarily use................but i do think that I am "set apart" (which is in the definition of blessed)

Lisa

hmb4him:
Well, I would not say its a blessing!  But I do say I have hope.  I've had HIV for 14 years and personally, I have not had too many problems.  I've not been hospitalized because of it, no OIs, not many problems at all!  

It takes lots of time to move past the shock of it all.  It took me 4 or 5 years before I quit crying before every dr appt.  (I'm a pessimist)  Once I had healthy kids, that made a huge difference.  

There is a lady at my church that has MS.  She's had it about 5 years.  She sometimes has to be in a wheel chair and is frequently in pain.   I used to spend lots of time feeling sorry for myself, but I would see her and she would be so full of joy.  I would think, wow, if she can be happy in so much pain, what am I crying about?  Then she told me I was an inspiration to her!  I couldn't believe it!  She was thinking the same thing about me that I was about her!

I don't know many people that have lived with cancer or other diseases for 14 years with no major problems.  That's how I feel blessed.  I'm not in pain.  I'm not undergoing excruciating treatments.  My life isn't perfect, but I know it could be so much worse.  

Hannah

Eldon:
Hello Eric, it is Eldon. I'd say that after (16) sixteen years living with HIV, I have learned a lot about myself and others. When I look at the other person who can't walk, who can't even lift a finger. It makes me thankful.

I have never been hospitalized, no OI's and I have been in the greatest of health ever since. (knock on wood) It has redefined who I really am and who I'm going to be; Let my voice be heard and help others as much as I can.

No, it's not a curse, it is a blessing! We are alive, well and kicking with joy to share with others.

The forums are healthy, very supportive and encouraging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version