POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650134
  • Total Topics: 49629
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 122
Total: 126

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tenofovir, muscle mass and kidney function  (Read 2661 times)

Offline skecherkid

Tenofovir, muscle mass and kidney function
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
Has anyone had experience with kidney problems after going on Truvada / tenofovir?  I have only been on it for three months but my doctor is worried about my creatinine level.  It is elevated but I looked back at labs I had several years ago and they were also elevated.  My level seems to bounce between 1.3 and 1.7.  Both of which are above the level a male "should" be at.

But I did some googling and read that because creatinine level depends in some part on amount of muscle mass and I am quite muscular.  I also include whey powders in my diet at least once a day.   

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is elevated creatinine bad in itself or may my elevated level just mean I have more muscle mass than typical?  I don't want to have to switch from truvada if not really necessary.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Tenofovir, muscle mass and kidney function
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
source

Viread can be problematic for HIV-positive people who have a history of kidney problems (renal impairment). If you have a history of kidney problems, your doctor will need to order a simple laboratory test to measure your "creatinine clearance"óthe rate your kidneys remove this protein produced by muscles from the bloodstream. Depending on the results of this test, your Viread dose may need to be decreased. It is always important to be careful if using Viread in combination with Vistide (cidofovir), Cytovene (ganciclovir), and Valcyte (valganciclovir), three treatments for CMV that can also cause kidney problems.

What's odd is that if your levels were high before going on truvada then why didn't your doctor address this at that time?  Did you point out this from your older labs, or did you just notice it?  I'm also assuming that you work out a lot, so you know if you take creatine supplements (though you didn't mention it) you should tell your doctor.  Don't be shy about doing so. I used to take all of that stuff myself when I first went on Truvada (whey, creatine, etc.) but never had an issue on my labs so can't tell you much more.

Keep me posted with what you find out because I'd enjoy knowing the info.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline skecherkid

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:12:55 PM »
I'll keep you posted.  My doctor was not very worried at all about the old labs at the time.  One test showed 1.6 and the next 1.3 and the urine test showed no protein. 

But at that time although I was HIV poz I was not one meds.  So now, she is somewhat worried about the Truvada.   Anyway, she has me set for a one-week no supplements diet and then a new lab test for blood creatinine and urine proteins.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »
I do remember reading somewhere that a high protein diet (or supplements) can raise one's creatinine levels.  It could be the protein shakes.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »
A couple of questions to consider?
When you say your creatinine levels are elevated since starting Truvada -- are the higher than they were before you started or still coming in at your previous 1.3 - 1.7 range?
If she is concerned, about the creatinine (now, anyway -- as she didn't seem concerned before) -- is she ordering anything else -- like the creatinine clearance test mentioned in Miss Philicia's post?

I think it would be good to get a little more evidence of kidney "issues" before deciding to change meds -- unless of course your current creatinine levels are markedly higher since starting the Truvada.
At the end of the day, if your kidneys are being stressed (either before or after starting this med), why push them even further when there are other options (I am assuming that there are other options available to you).

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline skecherkid

Re: Tenofovir, muscle mass and kidney function - switching to Epzicom now
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »
I'm going to be switching from the Truvada to Epzicom in a week.  My doctor still did not like the creatinine level even after I eliminated the protein supplements from my diet.  And the test for the abacavir showed I should not be hypersensitive. 

Anyone have any experience with such a switch?  I figure I will just take it with dinner along with the reyataz and norvir like I always do with the Truvada. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »
Apart from the hypersensitivity its easy (generally) but it does double your risk of cardiovascular disease over 10 years. Get a baseline assessment for CV health  -- and don't fret if this is less than 10% - this is one of those bum combo choices: heart or kidneys...

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline skecherkid

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:52:38 PM »
Thanks all!  I did get a set of cardiovascular blood tests as well as the others, and that looks good.  Low cholesterol, and the lipids / triglycerides are good.  I didn't know the epzicom raised the chances of heart disease - good to know.

I start the epzicom tonight!

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:57:09 PM »
My Doctor and I just went through this a couple months ago.  He was ready to stop my Truvada untl we looked deeper and I changed what I did 24 hours before having my blood drawn.

Three things are causing your results:

Higher muscle mass means higher creatinine.  Large body builders can average a creatinine level of 2.0

Eating more than 8 ozs of red meat in the 24 hours before the test also will cause the test to be higher.  Also, supliments containing Creatine will also cause the number to go higher.

And MOST importantly:  Lifting weights within 48 hours before the tests will make your creatinine number go through the roof.  I lifted weights, ran, and ate a high meat meal one day before getting my blood drawn and my creatinine number was 2.3.

Once we figured out was was going on, my creatinine level is at 1.2 -1.4 when tested.  Normal for a bodybuilder.

So, 24 hours before the test eat little/no meat, take no creatine, lift no weights, lay off any cardio and get plenty of water.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.