Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

I Maybe Relocating, need advice please

<< < (2/4) > >>

brooklynpoz:
Hi & thank you for reading my email,

I am currently in NYS, on ssdi, and medicare a&b, with aetna medicare as my supplement insurance, and in ADAP. I may be moving to Florida. I called ADAP down there, and was told, I do not need AETNA anymore. I just need medicare a,b & d, and ALL my med's would be covered. I was also told, that because I am on medicare, I don't get ADAP. I am so confused, and will not make a move until I can get answer. Can you please look into this, and let me know my options. Thank you in advance.

Frankie

denb45:

--- Quote from: brooklynpoz on March 30, 2009, 11:25:22 AM ---Hi & thank you for reading my email,

I am currently in NYS, on ssdi, and medicare a&b, with aetna medicare as my supplement insurance, and in ADAP. I may be moving to Florida. I called ADAP down there, and was told, I do not need AETNA anymore. I just need medicare a,b & d, and ALL my med's would be covered. I was also told, that because I am on medicare, I don't get ADAP. I am so confused, and will not make a move until I can get answer. Can you please look into this, and let me know my options. Thank you in advance.

Frankie

--- End quote ---

It depends on the amount of your monthly income, if your on medicare, you might qualify for "extra help" if you make less than 1,300 a month, you may also qualify for section 8 housing assistance, this pays 1/3 of your rent, but, remember, all States are different, with the help you can get, NYS and FL are a lot different and you may find that you won't get a lot of help in FL. like you did living in NYS, so, be prepared for that!

Miss Philicia:
It's different in every state, depending on what "%" of the federal poverty level that particular state uses.  According to the Kaiser Family web site Florida, as of the end of 2007, used 350% (NY is 448%).

Most likely they didn't know what they were talking about, unless Florida works in an odd manner.  If it's like where Pennsylvania which uses the exact same % as FL, then the pharmacy would bill Med. D first and then what's left to ADAP including the co-payments for meds that are on the state formulary.  As for when denb45 just stated, THAT situation is if you are under the 350% federal poverty level AND below the amount for the Med D "extra help" -- the reason that it's this complicated is that Ryan White is set up by Congress to ONLY be used as a "payer of last resort" so all other options must be exhausted first.  And, of course, without really knowing what your SSDI monthly income is it's hard to really say if potentially you were given the incorrect information.

Ideally, however, to put your mind at ease, we need someone from the board that lives in Florida and similarly uses Med. D to speak up.  Even with everything I just explained if FL's Ryan White program is too strapped for cash then perhaps they had no other alternative than to limit who uses it down to the folks who do not have Med. D.  I used to chat on the phone with someone from the board who hasn't logged in for a while and he always said to never move down there because ADAP and other programs were way fucked up, certainly compared to what you are used to in NYC.

bmancanfly:
What part of FL are you talking about?

As a resident of FL and former NYer I can tell you that the social service saftey net down here is much, much less generous than it is in NY. 

Unfortunately, I can't add any current specifics to help you out.   I've had private insurance through my partners employer insurance for quite some time.  But I remember back quite awhile ago, I was shocked at how much less there was available when I moved from NY to FL.

That said, there are still always ways.  If you're in my area (Central FL) I can give you some local contacts that may be able to help you.

denb45:
Miss Philicia, I don't want to get off topic here, but, I'm sure by now you've heard what happen to me, I no longer will get my States-medicaid-help that pays for my $96.40 a month medicare premium payment, instead I now have to EAT THIS, and its all because, I was $1.00 over the my States Limit for that help, as a result of this, I'll loose about 1,200 a month, less $100.00 a month, I understand that States are cashed-strapped and if your even 1cent over the limit, you won't get the help you need......how FUCKED UP is that......... ??? $100 a month my not seem like a lot, but to someone like me, who's already low-income that is a REAL kick-in-the-ass for me, and to top it off, SSDI hasn't taken out that $96.40 yet so, that means in MAY 2009, they will take $189.00 dollars out of my SSDI, right now I could just SPIT, just taliking about all of this  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version