POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 11:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640731
  • Total Topics: 48670
  • Online Today: 241
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: herpes and hiv  (Read 2295 times)

Offline positivmat

herpes and hiv
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »
Infected 11/5 or 11/19/08. Acute syndrome starting 12/3 ending 12/31 with pneumonia afterward. Diagnosed pos 1/26. Negative hsv-2 test 1/26. 2/8 blood work said v/l 800,000 and cd4 325. Haven't had sex since 11/19. Started atripla 2/25. On 3/14 I got painful anal blisters. Could this be herpes. I have hsv-1. Should I be put on acyclovir?  I am calling dr tomorrow morning. Guy on 11/5 told me he had herpes. What should I know about being pos and having herpes. It makes my health seem so fragile. What about my neg partner. What should I know about future sex with him. It makes it seem like its too risky to have sex with him. Is anyone else coinfected?  And can you talk to me about what that means?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: herpes and hiv
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »
Mat, you need to be discussing your various symptoms with your doctor. We can't responsibily diagnose anything here.

And yes, you and your partner can be having an active and enjoyable sex life. You need to do it the safer way which means that as far as anal intercourse is concerned, the insertive partner always has to use a a condom. No exceptions. And IF you have herpes, you have to be careful about physical contact if and when you're having an outbreak, if in fact you actually have herpes, which remains to be determined.   

It would also be a good precaution for your partner to get tested. If you had been having unprotected intercourse, then he should do it at 13 weeks past the most recent such incident for a conclusively negative result.

It takes some adjusting but many sero-discordant partners, including members here you will likely hear from, have good intimate sexual lives with their sero-negative partners without endangering their status.

Welcome!
Andy Velez

Offline positivmat

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
Thank you Andy,
I called the doc first thing this morning.  He and I had a good laugh.  I bent over after discussing my incredibly shameful herpes with him and he said "Are you talking about these hemorrhoids?"  It was the first time i have laughed when thinking about my medical condition in a few months.  I was so freaked out about this possibility that i was out of my head.  My health is foremost on my mind and I wasn't sure how herpes would complicate it.  I was also worried about further complicating my partner's ability to get intimate with me.  i think that the main issue is uncontrolled worry.  my doc said i could call him on the weekend, if I was ever really concerned again.
Matt

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
LOL LOL, Matt. Well that's a happy turn(over) of events.

Sounds like you have a good doctor who also has a sense of humor. A great combination and should stand you well in staying healthy.

As far as your concerns about your partner's status and your intimacy concerns, keep talking with each othen. I know that is not necessarily an easy thing to do but communicating is the way to go to maintain intimacy.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »
Thank you Andy,
I called the doc first thing this morning.  He and I had a good laugh.  I bent over after discussing my incredibly shameful herpes with him and he said "Are you talking about these hemorrhoids?"  It was the first time i have laughed when thinking about my medical condition in a few months.  I was so freaked out about this possibility that i was out of my head.  My health is foremost on my mind and I wasn't sure how herpes would complicate it.  I was also worried about further complicating my partner's ability to get intimate with me.  i think that the main issue is uncontrolled worry.  my doc said i could call him on the weekend, if I was ever really concerned again.
Matt
I bent over for my doctor yesterday too for the same thing.... Just hope he can tell me "Are you talking about these hemorrhoids?" 
3/21/09 - Tested Poz   Tcells/374   VL/109,000
9/02/09 - Tcells/290  VL/189,000
9/11/09 - Approved for ADAP
9/15/09 - Started Truvada, Isentress and Kaletra
6/15/11 - Undetectable - (On same meds as above)
7/20/11 - Started Atripla
12/10/13 - Tcells/620 - VL/0

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.