POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24249
  • Latest: Scot
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649827
  • Total Topics: 49596
  • Online Today: 284
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about high VL and high CD4 during early infection  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Alefou

Question about high VL and high CD4 during early infection
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:48:11 AM »
Hi all,

I have some questions about the necessity of the treatment. I have been contaminated in early december with a seroconversion (flu thing) at the end of decembre (happy new year in my bed with fever). My poz diagnostic was at the end of January. My first blood test the 01/30 shows CD4 at 832 (32%) and a VL at 117k . I did another blood test on the 03/05 which shows CD4 at 836 (38%) and a VL at 105 k. I'm concerned about the guidelines which says that treatment shloud be considered when VL is over 100k whatever the CD4 count is.
I know i'm in the early infection and so the VL would need time to have a "set point". But Since the VL did not decrease significantly between my two test, I'm worried that this VL will be my set point.
Also I'm concerned about some articles I read on the internet that a treatment in the first 6 month of infection could increase the life expectancy by reducing the "reservoirs" of the virus.
My doctor told me that no treatment is necessary since my CD4 are pretty good but I want to put all the chance on my side.
Thanks a lot for your advices,
12/16/2008 : Probable infection
12/26/2008 : ARS (Flu for one week)
01/15/2009 : HIV rapid test neg
01/28/2009 : Rapid test poz
01/31/2009 : Two EIA Poz
02/03/2009 : WB pos, CD4 : 832 (32%), VL : 116k copies/ml
03/08/2009 : CD4 : 836 (38%), VL : 104k

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Question about high VL and high CD4 during early infection
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »
Well, in truth the 100k viral load thing is marginal in treatment decisions, plus you have a new infection so this doesn't apply. CD4 count is the key indicator. Plus the rest sometimes. importantly how you feel.

Contaminated is a strong word. I do not know the circumstance...but it is strong. It's just a virus. And I do have to ask what did you do or not do to allow contamination? Blame is not useful, of others, yourself. When the virus is prevalent at +1% of any population, shit's gonna happen however safe or unsafe people are.

If you are interested in the idea, the hypothesis, that treatment in the first 6 months of infection is worthwhile investigate joining one of the trials on this. It is a good theory, but unproven. It may well be right, but we don't know yet. Increasing life expectancy is a strong claim, and since this has just normalised (= what everyone else expects) for people treated with a CD4 count above 200 in the UK, I think this is a bit of a red herring. The key questions, as yet unanswered, is whether early treatment = better health outcomes, not better longevity.

Good luck

- matt (acquired HIV 2000 or so but I wouldn't change a thing) the newt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Alefou

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:24:11 PM »
Hi newt,

I'm sorry if I shocked someone with the word contaminated. That fact is that english is not my native language so sometimes I used word which are not appropriate ....

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
Try getting in touch with Dr. Martin Markowitz at the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center.  Start by clicking here: http://www.adarc.org/ and look on the left side of the screen for "Clinical Trials."  If you are in NYC, he'll give you some great second-opinion advice; if you're not, he may be able to point you to someone in your city who can.

Try the word "infected" rather than "contaminated."  Food gets contaminated with bacteria; people get contaminated with radiation.  But for germs, people are "infected."   ;)

Good luck!

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:28:01 PM »
I should clarify.

Dr. Markowitz is running trials of people who have been infected in the last six months.  He'll give you an honest opinion that acknowledges what is known and what isn't known about starting HAART now.

Good luck!

Offline Alefou

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
Thanks a lot carpediem,

I'm actually in france. I was contaminated while I was in the US but I decided to get back to france for treatment (everything is free here). I will try to contact Dr Diamond but I don't think he has contacgt in France. By the way, I willl now use the word "infected" instead of "contamintated". I'm sorry about the confusion but in France you use the word "contaminated" when you are infected by the HIV.

Thanks a lot

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:05:05 PM »
Ahh... yes, unfortunately the only French doctor I know of as it pertains to HIV is one by the name of Montagnier.  ;)

Good luck just the same!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.