Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:49:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV test  (Read 16843 times)

Offline nocasualsex

HIV test
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:03:58 am »
First of all, I want to thank Andy and Ann for their replies in other threads which serves as great encouragment and a strong source of support for me.

About 6months ago, i had unprotected BJs, frenching and protected vaginal intercourse. After having those for a few times, i was guilt stricken and started worrying about HIV.

Surfed on the net and found alot of negative information which were not very helpful to me. Talks about unprotected BJs and frenching will transmit HIV if there are sores etc etc (but from your site i know they doesnt) and that there are cases of people getting HIV because of unprotected oral sex and HIV cases are on a RISE. I started to get really worried before I come across aidmed.

1month ago, i had protected BJ and protected vaginal intercourse, but the fear is still there.

After reading the old threads in this forum, they gave me the courage to go for a HIV test earlier this afternoon. Results came and i was Negative. Thank the Lord.

One question that I really want to ask, without the agenda of getting a time-out.

The question is :Is my HIV test result conclusive? Because my previous protected BJ and protected vaginal intercourse was only ONE month ago, and I heard for the test to be conclusive, it needs THREE months. I just need some assurance.

Once again, i sincerely thank Andy and Ann for their selfless effort in replying the people here, i really appreciate it. (:

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV test
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:21:13 am »
No guy has ever been confirmed to have become infected from getting a blowjob. With 25 years of epidemic experience and trillions of blowjobs later, it's safe to say you are not going to make history by becoming the first to become infected in that manner.

You used a condom for intercourse which is exactly what you should always do. They provide very effective protection.

So nothing you are reporting put you at risk for HIV transmission. There was no need for testing so it's irrelevant when you test or tested since a negative result was inevitable.

Keep using those condoms. We do also recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to at least once a year have a full STD panel done. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

This time I don't see any basis for further concern on your part about HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:29:41 am »
THANKS for the reply Andy! :D

With this reply from you, I can rest my case and go for my STDs tests soon.

I dont know why other websites are saying all those things about getting HIV from unprotected BJs, but I believe you and I hope I can educate my peers as well because they are also worried about unprotected BJs and when I told them aidmed says there is nothing to worry about, they just laughed it off and say that im naive.

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:26:19 am »
Oh ya, i forgot to ask this question.

Although its all protected vaginal intercourse, does the quality of condoms changes the whole story?

I can say all the condoms that i used are new but will the quality of the condoms affect the "risk level" of protected vaginal intercourse?

Thanks for reading. :D

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:29:21 am »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "quality." As long as it's latex and doesn't break, (which you would know if that happens), then you're good to go.
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:35:50 am »
Sorry for the unclearness.

My definition of "quality" is there are cheaper condoms and condoms which are more expensive.

So if im using the cheaper ones, does it actually increase the risk?

Thanks for answering.  :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:41:35 am »
No, the lower cost doesn't mean the quality is lesser. The important thing is to be sure they are latex.

Actually the more expensive ones are sometimes made of sheepskin and those should NOT be as they are not as reliable for absolute protection as latex ones.

It's easy enough to read on the package that it's latex and the date by which it should be used. 
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:47:42 am »
I see, thanks for the valuable insight!

All the condoms that i used were provided by the sex workers.

I read from another thread from this forum that says sex workers actually use condoms to protect themselves thus i hope they are using latex condoms.

Once again, thanks.

Will come back if I still have any doubts. (:

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05:13 am »
Of course sex workers want to protect themselves. You can be sure they are using latex because they inexpensive relatively and provide very effective protection.

Casual, we're not here to answer each and every doubt that your anxious mind comes up with. The bottom line in your incident was that you were not at risk. Keep using condoms everytime for intercourse and you will be well protected in terms of sexual activity.

It's time for you to move on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 08:27:02 am »
Hi Andy and Ann.

Im sorry to ask this, but i just need some reassurance. Because after reading alot of other sites on HIV and STIs, im getting uneasy.

Will deep frenching transmit HIV diseases? With all the spins you can think of, like bleeding gums, sores, anything you can think of.

And protected oral sex, its really of no concern for HIV right?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:06 am »
no,

Kissing, deep, shallow, with or without whatever spin you can think of, is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever been infected through a kiss and you certainly won't be the first. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Getting a blowjob, with or without a condom, is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

You didn't have a risk. Get over it and get on with your life.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02:44 am »
Thanks for the reply.

What about blood which is caused by bleeding gums? Wont swallowing the HIV+ blood or the blood entering your bloodstream affect you?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:06:35 am »
No matter what spin you attempt to put on these activities there is/was no risk. Got it?

You need to stop with this right now. If there was any sort of risk possible we would have told you.
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 10:26:48 am »
Okay this post is not meant to challenge any of the professionals here.

But I would like to ask, why are all of you so sure of deep kissing( The risk of bleeding gums and whatsnot sounds kind of convincing and realistic to me) and blowjobs will not have any risks for HIV when all the other sites say that these activities has risk?( Actually, the only site that I came across that says deep kissing and blowjob have no risk is this particular site.)

Is it just because "no one has ever get it before", thus all of you says that its of no risk?

Im not trying to challenge anyone, just that im curious as of why are all of you so confident of your knowledge?

What if one fine day a person says, " I GOT HIV JUST THROUGH DEEP KISSING!"
Will that change your opinion then?

The reason im posting this is because im worried that some people will go ahead and kiss and blow all they want but they have unexpected consequences thereafter.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:42:38 am by nocasualsex »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:03:57 am »
No. Because HIV is not transmitted through kissing.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:03 am »
No,

This has already been explained to you. Saliva is not infectious! Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

What if one fine day a person says, " I GOT HIV JUST THROUGH DEEP KISSING!"
Will that change your opinion then?

NO! It might change my opinion of the person - that they were a liar or somehow "forgot" that they'd had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse - but it wouldn't change my mind on transmission vectors. It's the science behind it all, you see.

And by the way, I'm hiv positive. The last thing I'd ever want to do is to pass my virus on to someone else. I have NO FEAR of kissing anyone or participating in oral sex - any kind of oral sex. I was with an hiv negative man for over eight years and while we used condoms for intercourse, our sex life was full. He remained hiv negative and is hiv negative to this day.

If you cannot bring yourself to believe us, go test, collect your negative result, and get on with your life.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you would have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 10:56:16 am »
No,

This has already been explained to you. Saliva is not infectious! Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Im really sorry if i sound offensive.

I know that saliva is not infectious, but im talking about the blood that is in the mouth which is caused by sores or gums.

Upon reading your own life story, i realized i had been ignorant.

But if someone is HIV+, they should check if they have bleeding gums or whatsoever before they blow or deep kiss someone, right?

Because blood does transmit HIV from what i learn from the site and all of you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 12:35:43 pm »
HIV is not transmitted by kissing or by getting a blowjob, blood or no blood..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 01:01:18 pm »
No,

If you think I check my mouth every time I kiss someone, you'd better think again.

Please read the following  s l o w l y  and  c a r e f u l l y:

Not only is saliva not infectious, BUT IT ALSO CONTAINS OVER A DOZEN DIFFERENT PROTEINS AND ENZYMES THAT DAMAGE HIV AND RENDER IT UNABLE TO INFECT.

I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Enough is enough already. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nocasualsex

Worried about Oral Sex
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 10:39:23 am »
I have been following this forum for pretty long.

I just want to ask, is oral sex still risk free? Because there is a rise in HIV cases in my country, Vietnam and im very worried now because i had unprotected oral sex. I was the receiver.

What CDC said really contradicts what your forum is promoting as CDC says ALL oral sex has certain risk but what your forum's take on oral sex is no matter what kind of spin you put in, its still risk free.

Im curious to what makes you guys so confident to even go against CDC's information.

Im sorry if i sound offensive, but im really confused and curious.

I had an old thread but i cannot find it already thus im making a new one.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 10:59:40 am »
I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Anytime you have sex other than with your own hand there is theoretically the possibility of risk. But there has never been a confirmed case of HIV transmission to a guy getting sucked. It's safe to say you won't make history by becoming the first. The CDC is just being cautious with the theoretical risk aspect and covering itself. Getting oral is absolutely not a risk for transmission. As for giving oral, longterm  studies negate risk with that as well.

You've been around here long enough to know where we stand. We're not about to get into a back and forth with you about what you are reading on other sites.
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 12:25:39 pm »
Firstly, i want to thank andy and ann for all their effort that they have put in into this meaningful and resourceful forum/website.

I know that oral sex is NO risk, regardless if it is insertive or receptive.

But, im really concerned, why is HIV cases still on the rise? Im sure the whole world's HIV cases are rising.

No offense intended, are your informations up to date? Maybe there are actually people who got HIV through getting a blowjob but the mods here might not be aware.

Im deeply concerned, as im worried that people might be misled.

Thanks yet again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 12:36:59 pm »
Yes the information on this forum is up to date. Now move along.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 02:42:22 pm »
You're straying off of your role here. It's to bring a question about something you're concerned about and get answers. You've done that and we've more than fully answered your questions. I have deleted the thread you began with the same above remarks. Please follow our rule and keep any entries you have to make in this same thread.

Your what ifs and doubts and worries about oral sex are something for you to indulge in if you choose. We're not here to spend time dealing with that. We answer questions about specific incidents.

You are free to look elsewhere if you haven't found the answers you have received to be useful to you.

Ann has already warned you about coming back about non-risk issues. You're just at the edge of getting a Time Out for 28 days.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:47:36 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 11:30:28 am »
I would like to ask, if a girl has a bleeding wound in her mouth and she gave person A a blowjob, who will be at the risk? Her or person A?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 12:07:38 pm »
A guy is never at risk for HIV transmission from getting a blowjob. There's never been a single case of infection confirmed in that manner.

As for the person giving it with an openly bleeding wound, the risk if any is theoretical. Saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which are very effective in preventing the transmission of viable HIV. Still, if someone has a fresh wound it hardly seems to be the moment to be giving oral. There are other STDs and they are much easier to acquire than HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09:35 am »
no,

Hiv is still on the rise because people are still having anal and/or vaginal intercourse without using condoms. It has nothing to do with oral sex of any kind.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 09:02:08 am »
Hi all.

I would like to ask, if someone has gono/clam, and he is being exposed to unprotected oral sex. What is the possibility of him getting HIV through unprotected oral sex? Is it still a non risk situation?

Thank you!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 09:16:16 am »
The possible presence of either of those other illnesses would not change the bottom line: receiving oral sex is not a risk for HIV. Period.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:21:26 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:23 am »
Thanks for the prompt reply andy!

Im asking this question because im suspecting myself of having gono.

So im really worried about contracting HIV from the unprotected oral sex i had months ago.

HIV IS REALLY SCARY! :(

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 11:29:08 am »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »
Even if you had/have other STDs, that would not change the HIV-science based reality that HIV is absolutely not passed through receiving oral sex. Period. End of story.

You are very quickly going to find yourself with another Time Out if you continue to pursue this non-risk issue here.
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 12:10:05 pm »
Hi,

I would like to ask, regarding the studies that you had used as references for proving that receiving blowjobs are not a risk for transmission of HIV, the participants in the studies only had blowjobs and no other sexual activities? Im just asking because I realized that it is hard to determine if receiving blowjobs are risky as normally people dont just have blowjobs alone.

And lastly, what makes a case a 'documented' one?

If there is just plain claiming from a guy that he had contracted HIV from receiving blowjobs ALONE, it will not be counted as a documented case? If this is so, what has to be done/present in order to classify it as a documented case?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »
NO,

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

A documented case of hiv transmission is where the virus of the newly infected person matches the virus of the suspected source. They are matched by genotype etc.

No, patient report does not qualify as a documented case of transmission.

If you cannot bring yourself to believe us that getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection, go test and collect your negative result. Then make an appointment with a counsellor or therapist to discuss you hiv phobia. We cannot help you with that here.

I'm giving you a second time out as there are only so many times we will tell you that you got a no risk blowjob and to get over it already. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nocasualsex

Fingering
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 03:52:34 am »
I went to a massage parlour for a massage and the massue started to finger my anus. After which i asked her and realized she has a cut on her finger.

Am i at risk?

I heard that the anus is a very weak and vulnerable spot, so with the friction of fingering and the presence of a cut, will it result in the transmission of HIV?

Hope you guys will enlighten me, thank you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Fingering
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 03:56:50 am »
*post modified to:

Please return to your original thread. Your questions will not be answered until you do so. However, I can state with certainty that this question has been answered in the "long time" that you have been reading these forums. Combined with your skepticism regarding AIDSMEDS transmission lessons, I cannot imagine that we can be of any real further assistance. I respectfully withdraw from the discussion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:00:01 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 09:05:52 am »
Once again your latest thread has been merged with your old one. As we have told you previously the rule of the site is for you to keep all of your entries in one same thread.

The anus is a vulnerable spot but not for a finger that has some sort of cut or scratch on it. It's vulnerable as is the vagina to intercourse. Unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV. Fingering, no matter what spin you put on it is not such a risk.

I suppose that theoretically if someone sliced there finger and then immediately inserted it in your anus there would be a risk. But that hardly seems the circumstance under which you would be having your anus fingered.
Andy Velez

Offline nocasualsex

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 01:50:19 pm »
I am asking the question without the intention of getting another time out.

But my mind keep churning out thoughts that provokes my inner fear of contracting HIV.

As my anus was being fingered, im worried that the nails might be too sharp that it breaks my anus's skin which in turn will result the lady's cut to have direct contact and there will be blood penetrating the fragile anus wall.

I regretted letting the lady finger my anus, so much...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 02:09:38 pm »
You just assured yourself another time out for another no risk issue.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 02:27:49 pm »
No,

You've been coming here long enough to know the answer to your latest NO RISK scenario.

You've already had two time outs and so I have no choice but to permanently ban you. Any attempt to create a new account to get around your ban will result in the new account also being banned.

I suggest you seek mental health counselling. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.