POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 08:22:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631421
  • Total Topics: 47801
  • Online Today: 223
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Poll

Do condom break easily

please answer
0 (0%)
please answer
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Worried  (Read 2230 times)

Offline moutbhutan

Worried
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:47:51 PM »
I am freaked about the incident that should not have happen and am passing through a sleepless night. I had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker (lady) in India. The condom was provided by the pimp and the room had no light, so I could not check the brand and expiry date. The sex lasted for about 5-7 minutes and I ejaculated inside her. After finishing, she removed the condom, so I could not check if the condom was intact or broken. Halfway through, I checked the condom and it was ok. Even after finishing, I checked the bottom part by feeling with my with my hand and I think it was ok but I could not check the tip part. After finishing, I did not think much but now I am worried if the condom broke during the intercourse. I have been browsing the website and found that the breakage ratre for condom is about 0 to 12 percent and it seems quite high. I had used condom in the past but never experienced a breakage or split.

Two weeks after the incident, I had fatigue, drowsy feeling, blurred vision, low bp, loss of appetite, reflux and a running nose for 2-4 days. These ARS is making me nervous and I think the condom must have broken and I am infected.

The CBC (TLC & DLC) is completely normal. Please advice me.

Online RapidRod

Re: Worried
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:45:14 AM »
You had protected sex, you were never at risk of contracting HIV. Had the condom failed you would have known.

Offline moutbhutan

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:19:13 AM »
Thanks for your prompt reply. Ann, Andy, Rapid and Other, your are doing a great job.

I have couple of question, please Ann, Andy and Rapid let me have your opinion:

1) Since the room was dark and it was not possible for me to see. So the only possibility was to feel with hand. I did feel the bottom part and I am certain that it was intact. I don't know if the tip was intact. I can still remember having checked the half way and it was fine then. This is troubling me and I feel that I am exposed.

2) I had used the condom in the past and had never experienced the breakage, so I thought condom was safe. But after this incident I browsed the website about the breakage rate of condom and found it alarmingly high, which made me nervous and worried.

3) The primary symptom, like nausea, tendency to vomit, dizziness, fatigue, running nose, gastritis, reflux, dry mouth, slight headache that has appeared for 2-5 days is making me think if the condom was intact.

4) It is hard to detect anything from complete blood count and wbc. But do think that altleast wbc and cbc should show slight changes when the foreign body enters the blood stream and starts to multiply rapidly during ARS.

5) Do you still think that I OK and I don't need to get tested for this incident.

Hope to hear from Ann, Andy, Rapid.

:'(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »
Thanks for your prompt reply. Ann, Andy, Rapid and Other, your are doing a great job.

I have couple of question, please Ann, Andy and Rapid let me have your opinion:

1) Since the room was dark and it was not possible for me to see. So the only possibility was to feel with hand. I did feel the bottom part and I am certain that it was intact. I don't know if the tip was intact. I can still remember having checked the half way and it was fine then. This is troubling me and I feel that I am exposed.

2) I had used the condom in the past and had never experienced the breakage, so I thought condom was safe. But after this incident I browsed the website about the breakage rate of condom and found it alarmingly high, which made me nervous and worried.

3) The primary symptom, like nausea, tendency to vomit, dizziness, fatigue, running nose, gastritis, reflux, dry mouth, slight headache that has appeared for 2-5 days is making me think if the condom was intact.

4) It is hard to detect anything from complete blood count and wbc. But do think that altleast wbc and cbc should show slight changes when the foreign body enters the blood stream and starts to multiply rapidly during ARS.

5) Do you still think that I OK and I don't need to get tested for this incident.

Hope to hear from Ann, Andy, Rapid.

:'(

The blood tests you are talking about absolutely are not reliable for determining anything about your HIV status. Only an HIV test specifically can address that question.

Dark room or not, if the condom had failed you would have known it. When that happens it's not about a teensy weensie little hole as men sometimes fear. No, it's very clear because the whole thing gives and ends up like a fringed hoop on your penis.

Your symptoms are not in any way HIV specific and if they persist you should discuss them with your docotr.

Condoms are very democratic. They are just as effective when with a sex worker as with a civilian. They provide very effective protection.

You were protected and there is no need for testing for HIV this time.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline moutbhutan

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:15:14 AM »
Andy thanks,

So you do not see the reason for testing in ths case coz you beleive that if the condom had broken it would have been obvious. But the problem with me is that neither I could not see the condition of the condom at the end as the room was dark not I tried feeling it with the hand to confirm. Ofcourse, I did check half way through and it was ok. Even at the end I tried feeling the base and it was ok. First thing is that I regret for doing what I have done and second is that I should have tried to check the tip.

But is it that the condom is very fragile as shown in many discussion in the website. Had I know that the condom are so fragile, I would have never taken chance. Andy, I could nto get your point "Your symptom are not HIV specific". Does it mean it could be symptom of many thing, including HIV.

:(

Offline moutbhutan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:57 AM »
Hi Ann,

I can see that you are online. Could you please give me your opoion and advice. I am worried about the incident and the ARS. First thing is that I should not have done what I did; Secondly, I should have checked at the end or carried the condom back home and checked. Had I known the know before the indidence that condom were fragile, I would not have taken the chance. I am hoping that the condom did not break. :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:33:03 AM »
mout,

Sex workers use condoms to protect THEM, not you. If the condom had broken, she would have said something. Seriously. That's probably why SHE took it off, so she could make sure it was still intact.

And condoms are NOT fragile. I don't know where you get that idea from and frankly, I don't want to know. A correctly used condom RARELY breaks. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

You didn't have a risk and it's time to get on with your life.

And chill out. I was replying to you when you posted to beg my attention. You delayed your own answer.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline moutbhutan

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:37:35 AM »
Thanks Ann for quick reply. Thanks to Rapid and Andy too. Just few more question as I am paranoid (Please bear with me).

Andy-You said that my symptom are not HIV Specific (Does it mean that it can be due to different reason and HIV is one of them)

Andy-You also said that the whole things come up if it has broken. Does it mean that one can sense if it broke

Ann- I asked for the condom and I think the lady was indifferent to either using it or not. I dont think she has any information about protection as she was more of a casual sex worker (operating illegally). But I am very concern about protecting and am getting panicked. I very much beleive in you that condom rarely breaks but what is driving me crazy is the ARS.

Could you all please throw some light in the above mentioned concer.

Bit I am to some extent convinced that things went well and I should your word and assume that eveny thing went fine. :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »
Mout,

When we say that someone's symptoms are not hiv specific, we mean that they could be attributed to one of possibly hundreds of different reasons. To be honest, the symptoms you report sound nothing like any kind of ARS.

And yes, you would have likely noticed - by how it felt - if the condom had broken. Bare genital to genital contact feels very different to genital contact with a condom barrier.

I still think the woman would have said something if the condom broke.

We recommend yearly testing for any sexually active adult, so if you cannot put this worry out of your head, why not go and test at the six week point, collect your negative result, and get on with your life?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline moutbhutan

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »
Ann, Andy and Rapid,

Thanks for your reply and comforting words. You all are doing a great job by sharing the knowledge about hiv, providing the correct and scientific information, comforting people in desperate situation.

From your replies, I am convinced to a greater extent that:
 - my symptom is not related to hiv (ARS)
 -the condom must have been fine and I would noticed or felt in case if it has broken
 -condom is strong and does not break if it is used correctly
- -condom provides 100% protection it is used correctly and consistently
 -hiv is a fragile virus and it is more difficult to transmit form women to men

Thanks to you all

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:47:44 AM »
You're welcome. And now that you have gotten what we've told you, it's time to get on with your life.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.