Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:57:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 242
Total: 246

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Working on a Mystery, and Running Toward a Dream"..(thanks, Tom Petty)  (Read 8974 times)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
To My Forum Family...

Please pardon my random check-in's these days, a full schedule and travel deadlines loom large in front of me!

I want to take this opportunity to share with you a rather special and unexpected event that rocked my world recently.......

In 10 short days, I will find myself in the midst of the going's on at the International AIDS Conference - Toronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been invited to join Dr. Bruce Walker for a major Press Release on Wednesday, August 16th, at 1:00 p.m, in an attempt to recruit more participants to the Elite Controller clinical study currently in full swing back in Boston.

I will be flown into Toronto on Tuesday, the 15th, and have graciously been offered housing by another member from the ICW (International Conference of Women--a co-sponsor of the IAC).

It's taken me a while to process this invitation, along with everything else that is going on for me right now, and I beg your (collective) forgiveness for this tardy announcement. As you can imagine, the implications of this are rather large for this solitary, small town gal.

As the title of this thread suggests, the research scientists are certainly 'working on a mystery', and I seem to be 'running toward that dream' of a breakthrough with them...Tom Petty's song was on the radio that morning as I drove down to Sacramento for a Planning Council meet, and I couldn't ignore how appropriate it was.

Everyone who has touched my life since last September here on AM must realize that it is YOU who prepared me for an appearance such as this.
I know that had this invitation been extended to me just a short year ago, I would have said, no thanks! Yet, as I have considered the changes I have made these past 6 months or so, my strength and courage has come from each of you.

As long as I'm updating here, I am proud to announce that the first installment of my newspaper article was released yesterday, with the second and third coming Monday and Wednesday next week. I am so impressed with the young reporter's writing skill, she definitely is in prize category with this composition. Unfortunately, there seems to be some hesitation with the Publisher to put it on-line, but I will be meeting him on Monday to seek permission to link you online. (Wish me luck!) Should I fail in my mission, then I will hand type the entire piece for you, installment by installment.

My life is moving fast these days, and I am humbled by ALL of it. I couldn't have gotten here without you, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Little did I know the changes that were in front of me last summer, when I hooked up this new computer! Astounding, what can happen when you find your community and they give you encouragement and support!

My kindred brother, Paul, (OzPaul) and kindred sister, Pam (drerp3) have honored me with their blessings on representing them in Toronto.
I am thinking about our other members who have joined the study as well, and can only hope I am a worthy spokesperson for them, too.

Even as I sit here, typing these words, I can't believe it. Words just don't seem to express the incredible joy I hold inside, that I have an opportunity to represent all of you.

I am thrilled beyond words that on the very next day I will be embracing my AM family members in Montreal, people who took the time to read my stories and join this odd journey I seem to be on. Knowing I will be in their presence is what is going to see me through this remarkable and unexpected event.

In great admiration and love,

Zephyr (who is riding this wind of change and holdin' on tight!)
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Sdgirl

Re: "Working on a Mystery, and Running Toward a Dream"..(thanks, Tom Petty)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 07:10:09 pm »
You go girl!

Isn't always interesting how when you make a decision to make changes in your life, that the exact thing you wanted, falls right into your lap?  I personally could not and would not think of anyone else that I would want to represent us..........You are going to kick ass and take names.  I just wish I could be there to see it.......but I would probably be really disruptive with all my GO ZEPHIE!, ZEPHIE ROCKS! and YOU GO GIRL! signs, oh let's not forget the bullhorns!!!

I am loving you so much back................hope that you can feel it!

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 07:40:02 pm »
Hello Zephie, it is Eldon. I wanted to wish you the best in all of your efforts! Also, it is good news on the newspaer that they released your article! Good Luck!

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 07:46:17 pm »
Dearest Zephie

I'm soooo proud of you !!! This past year as we've become friends through the Harvard study, I've been thrilled to get to know my kindred ( and maybe genetic in a sense) sister. After two decades of being poz and well I was able to share to blessing and miracle with another who lives this miracle.

Here at the forums you represent the very best of us. Kindness, compassion, spirit, humor, dedication, passion and eloquent in words and phrases.

I know that  you will make a big and positive impression at the IAC when you appear at the news conference with Bruce Walker. I am honored that you'll represent us LTNP's and other affected by HIV/AIDS.

Congrats too on the newspaper article. It's good that they have, at last started to publish the article/interview.
You live large in the world and that takes great courage and strength both of which you have in spades.

I'm proud to say you are my friend.

Big Aussie hugs
Ciao Bella
Paul xxxooo

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 09:44:06 pm »
Wow Zeph!!! Way To GO! It is nice to see that once  in a while GREAT things happen to GREAT people. I'm so happy for you! Have a great trip.
Love and support, Jeff
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
Positive since 1985

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 10:27:01 pm »
Hello Zeph,

Thanks for an uplifting and exciting post !!! I am VERY excited for you and wish you absolutely the best in Toronto. Make sure to keep us updated, You will most likely be on a tight schedule, but do try to make some time for yourself and see the city. I always enjoyed Toronto !!And Montreal the next day...Fantastic !!

Your really moving  in the fast lane !!! Wishing you the best !! :)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 10:48:15 pm »
If you don't know how proud of you I am and how much I adore you I'll whap ya upside the head.

In all seriousness, as I've told you numerous times, you're the #1 person for the job.  You'll bring about great change!
-Danny
Boys are Stupid

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 11:10:43 pm »
Leave it to you to lift me up when I'm a little low...

As always, you are magnificent.   I hope you have a wonderful time in Toronto, for a minute I was scared that was going to keep you from coming to Montreal....but I see you will be there as planned!

Love,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Trish

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 11:20:53 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I guess I'm elated...

Wonderful news Zeph.

YOU ROCK GIRLFRIEND!!!

NOW THIS IS WHERE I WANTED TO POST ORIGINALLY
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 11:31:47 pm »
You know, it gives me pause to see myself in active, ongoing dialogue with some of the foremost authorities, the movers and shakers, the true heavyweights in the fight against HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 11:47:51 pm »
Dear Zephie,

It seems like each and every day, something new and exciting is going on.  Seems like only yesterday there was a 6.5 magnitude quake in the Sierra Foothills.  Sure enough there was, it was Zephyr shaking that ground to make a difference in our world.  When you are in the interview with Dr. Walker, it really IS about you, and ALL of US living with what they are calling a manageable illness.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 02:14:23 am »
the cool, gentle breeze of the west makes its way across the country becoming stronger and stronger with every breath she takes.

She makes us all proud.

robert

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 02:44:10 am »
Yes Robert, She does make us proud!  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 03:02:36 am »

Onward and upward Ms. Zephyr!!!

Congratulations and thanks!!!

I'm dying to know what this breakthrough IS.

love,
brian

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 05:30:22 am »
Hi, Zephyr!
I know something good and revolutionary is going to come from all this. I am willing to read that newspaper. Hope it is available online soon.
Hugs and Kisses from Madrid, where the temperature is 2.000º Celsius...
Juan.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 07:15:23 am »
Zephyr you are awe-inspiring!

Offline zephyr

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 12:55:29 pm »
Dear Ones...

And so my Sunday begins with being deeply touched by your comments on these spectacular events in my life...I am grateful for your taking time in your day to respond to my news with such wonderful sentiments and support.

I've already been busy this morning, early, to compose a Letter to the Editor of the local newspaper, which I will hand deliver tomorrow. And, Moffie and I have figured out a way to work around the barrier presented in order to post the article to all of you here on the Forums.

Let's see, under Tim's patient tutelage, I am going to cut and paste for the first time, and share my letter with you. Hope it works!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 01:27:41 pm by zephyr »

Offline zephyr

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 01:08:29 pm »
Well, got it attached, the cut and paste did not work. Not quite what I wanted to do. Hmm.

I'm not very good at these word processing skills....

Anyway, my heart is so full of gratitude right now, nothing can get in the way of that!!

Love,

Zephyr (who will ride this wave until she can't anymore)

modified to make a correction to the letter!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 01:22:50 pm by zephyr »

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 04:47:30 pm »
As always I stand in Awe of you my dear Sister! Thank you  for  doing what you do and being the incredible woman you are Honey!

Hugs
Jena

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 07:55:53 pm »
Hi Girlfriend,

So glad to be a part of the Mystery, and am buckled in for the reveal of the Dream.

Sorry my tutoring is lost sometimes on my poor brain.  Please ignore the "attachment" function, place your cursor where you want to start your "copy-n-paste", right click on the cursor, and when the drop down menu appears, "Left" click on "Paste" and your "copy" will appear.

Try again when you get something else to copy here.  The article I e-mailed to you this afternoon should be quite easy to "Copy-n-Paste".

Anyway, you absolutely know I am in your corner, and I cannot believe how joyful it is to see you and others here, (Jeff.....) taking on the work that so desperately needs doing.

In Love and Awe.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

P.S.  Not showing off here, just thought I would copy the "Letter To The Editor" here for all to see, just in case they could not download the Attachment.

Michael E. Raffety, Editor
Mountain Democrat
1360 Broadway
Placerville, CA  95667

August 6, 2006

Editor:

My sincere commendations to both you and Ms. Sonya Sorich on the compelling series on HIV/AIDS.

Ms. Sorich has brilliantly portrayed the “tight-rope” balancing act many of us walk as we live with an HIV-positive diagnosis.

We, as a society, must recognize that we are facing the worst bio-medical event in the history of mankind, with over 60 million infections since 1981 and the loss of 20 million souls. (New York Times, June 1, 2006). While the number of locally reported cases seems insignificant when compared to statistics such as these, the lives of those affected are not.

As newly diagnosed infections in women and children rise dramatically, it is imperative that we implement more programs for the education of our youth, with plainly spoken prevention messages.  As a friend of mine so eloquently wrote: “As long as we keep sex education swept under the carpet, we are going to have the dry-rot of HIV spreading silently beneath the floor-boards of society.” – Ann

AIDS caused the death of 500,000 children under the age of 15 during 2003. (San Francisco AIDS Foundation, January 2006).

In this information age, we have a genuine opportunity to educate ourselves and those we care for on the HIV/AIDS issue. This, combined with the unified voices of people living with the virus, will mean we hold the sharpest sword with which to stem this tide.

Respectfully,

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:00:47 pm by Moffie65 »
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 11:40:17 pm »
 :-*  mmmwwaaa baybee!  Montreal!!!!

Offline Christine

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 11:49:21 am »
Zephyr,
That is amazing. I am honored to be represented by you. Fantastic!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.