POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 01:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 619945
  • Total Topics: 46706
  • Online Today: 209
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do yall get up and go to work in the morning on Atripla??  (Read 1623 times)

Offline sxybrownnicca

Do yall get up and go to work in the morning on Atripla??
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »
Just wondering do anyone get up in the morning and have to go to work and is currently taking Atripla? I work in a hospital so i am on my feet all day and it takes about 3 hours before i am usually back to normal. I can't concentrate like normal. I wish i didn't have to get up in the morning so early. I need to know how to prevent the dizziness in the morning. Also, What kind of natural herbs or drinks we can get to help. I'm new to HIV and new to taking Meds.

Anyone on disability with hiv? if so, how can i sign up? lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:41:54 PM by sxybrownnicca »

Offline lonewolf

Re: Do yall get up and go to work in the morning on Atripla??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »
WOW Sxy,  I admire you and feel for you having to get up earlier and get off to work.   And I really thank you and admire you as a hospital worker!!!

New to Atripla here,  been one week.  Mornings are kinda rough too.  I don't have to work right now,  so can just hang and let the present, and future side effects do their thing.  But it is encouraging knowing that the new effects are from the Atripla, and it is doing it's thing with the HIV !!!

I have no clue to tell you what to do to prevent dizziness in the morning,  seems to be a common side effect with Atripla.  So can't offer you any advice.    Maybe some others here that have been on meds or Atripla longer will have some good advice for you.
Just wanted to let you know tho,   that there are many out here thinking of you, and you will find this site to be very helpful and compassionate.   
Hugs,  Bruce
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline Andy99

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
I've been on Atripla 3 months now and don't get any side effects, i have even taken it it the morning once (about 5 hours late) when i'd forgotten to take it (because i was pissed :-[) and still didn't have any problems. ;D

I still work without any problems, but i don't seem to get any side effects from anything! I'm still on Septrin (Bactrim) also as I wasn't diagnosed until i developed PCP!l and it's never even given me so much an upset stomach.

According to my consultant the side effects from Atripla subside after 4 - 6 weeks, I hope you are feeling better soon.

You can get disability benefits in the UK quite easily with HIV possibly even topped up with extra allowances ( not as good as 6 years ago when you could get a terminal illness statement). It's much less than i earn though so it isn't worth it for me.

Offline Broch

• Start as you mean to go on.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »
Sxy, I feel ya for sure. I am starting my third week here and I admire your get-up-and-go attitude as well, as I have not yet returned to work!
Remember this:

We are "early" into treatment. It could all get way better within a matter of weeks.

Reactions are so diverse and it's tough to be in that small percentage of people who AREN'T saying "oh, no side effects whatsoever" or "it's like a sugar pill". WHATever! Don't feel discouraged just cuz you might be struggling.

Best advice I got came from another poster on here who had similar struggle, and eventually switched to another med regimen. We are lucky to be in a crop of treatment beginners who have LOTS of options. If you feel like you can't work and you can afford to be off, take off. If you think after a time that your level of functioning is not acceptable, tell your doc you are ready to switch!

Hope this helps!!!   ;D

Offline bufguy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
I've been on Atripla since June, and have had no side effects since mid July. I'm an architect and get to work every morning at 7:15. I take my Atripla around 11:00 every evening (100% adherent). I work out 5 days per week and feel great.
You're still new to this. Give it a few weeks and I'll bet you'll be fine.

Good Luck!
5/29/08 confirmed HIV+
6/23/08 Vl 47500  CD4 511/29% CD8 .60
start atripla
8/1/08 Vl 130  CD4 667/31% CD8 .70
9/18/08 Vl un  CD4 not tested
12/19/08 Vl un CD4 723/32% CD8 .80
4/3/09 Vl un CD4 615/36% CD8  .98
8/7/09 vl un CD4 689/35% CD8 .9
12/11/09 vl un CD4 712/38% CD8 .89
4/9/10 vl un CD4 796/39% CD8 1.0
8/20/10 vl un CD4 787/38% CD8 1.0
4/6/10 vl un CD4 865/35% CD8 .9
8/16/10 vl un CD4 924/37% CD8 1.0
12/23/10 vl un CD4 1006/35% CD8 .9
5/2/10 vl un CD4 1040/39% CD8 .9
8/7/13 vl un CD4 840/39% CD8 .9

Offline 072508

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »
Hi,

I have been on Atripla since Nov 18 now. At first like an hour or two after I take it I get the dizzy feeling or the feeling like Im floating. I also got the weird dreams. I had one that lasted all night long and I even woke up twice that night and it picked up where it left off. And then I had the red dot rash that only like 5% of people get some Im told of small unraised red dots from shoulders to torso. The rash was about a week into it and went away by itself after like 2 days. All side effects ceased after about 3-4 weeks. I take my pill at 9pm every night and I wake up as early as 4am sometimes for work. Hang in there. I hear the side effects fade fast. Avoid greasy foods before you take your pill. They say 2 hours I think. I would just steer clear of it whatsoever if at all possible.

Oh, and good luck! First time on meds and Atripla is my best friend. After only 2 weeks my cd4 went from 474 to 620 and I went from a VL of 22500 to 56, nearly undetectable and NOW I am undetectable!

IT SHOULD TREAT YOU WELL AS IT HAS DONE FOR SO MANY OTHERS!!!!! HANG IN THERE!!!

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
Sexynicca! I hope I'm not reading that you're taking ATRIPLA in the morning. It's meant to be taken at bedtime, and as I enter my second year on it I have probably missed/forgotten my dose less than 5 times. I never take it in the morning, because I simply could not work or drive or anything. I got the requisite rash on my arms which lasted exactly 6 days, came and went quickly in the first few weeks. My sleep issues were resolves with a 3mg melatonin pill taken a hour before bedtime.

Stay with it
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Imnew2this

• I'm stronger because of it
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Coffee.  LOTS of coffee is what gets me going in the mornings. I still go to work daily as well, up at 630 am religiously and although it takes every ounce of effort I have to pull myself out of bed, once I have my first cup of coffee, I'm good to go.  I consider it a small price to pay for kicking some viral butt!  I've been on Atripla for 6 months and that's pretty much the only side effect I have.  It's not gotten any better at all since the first day I took it.  Could be worse tho.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.