Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

labyrinthitis?

(1/5) > >>

HIVworker:
I am suffering from severe Vertigo right now, which my doctor said was labyrinthitis. Anyone else suffered from this? It feels like I am drunk without the fun. It makes working in the HIV lab impossible and I'm not even going to try.

If anyone has had this, how long does it last? I'm taking Antivert for it, but it only makes me sleepy.

R

MSPspud:
I've had this before and it TOTALLY sucks.  The first time it happend I wasn't sure what the heck was going on.  It was so bad I couldn't even see myself in the mirror as my vision kept moving from right to left, right to left....  driving - out of the question.

I also agree that the Antivert is useless.

What did seem to alleviate things however was to get my blood flowing.  Something about working out would change pressure and give reprieve for awhile.  Try going for a brisk walk or run.

ACinKC:
I had this when I was a kid!  But I HATE David Bowie so it was no suprise!

HIVworker:
No, this induces a different sort of nausea altogether...

JeffInNYC:
Hi R,

Sorry youre going through this.  This is a topic I know a heck of a lot about.

I started getting episodic vertigo 5 years ago lasting from 20 seconds to 20 minutes.  They were self-contained and afterwards I was fine.

Then several months ago I was feeling funny outside - a moment here a moment there.  I didnt understand what was going on - for awhile I thought I was going crazy.  Then one day it got so bad outside I realized it was my balance.  There was no spinning this time, but EVERYtime I was OUTside, I felt like I would fall down...crossing the street was a bitch...it was like crossing a street of 20 to 30 feet looked like a mile to me.  They said it was sensory overload and my brain needed time to compensate for the mixed messages it was getting from my inner ears...more specifically, the vestibular nerves.

They dont know exactly what the problem is but I probably had a virus at some point that damaged one of the vestibular nerves.  We balance ourselves because each nerve gives equal but opposite signals to the brain as to our position in the environment - if they are not equal and opposite, then the brain perceives motion which causes the dizziness.  It took 4 to 5 months but now I can get around outside even though I know something isnt quite right.  This is a bitch especially when you live and work in NYC!

They prescribed me antivert which didnt do shit except make me tired.  When you have trouble balancing yourself the last thing you need is to be drowsy.

I went for vestibular rehabilitation therapy and was taught exercises and little tricks to help my brain compensate for the disorder...not sure if it helped but they believe it speeds up the process.

Labyrinthitis...I am guessing your vertigo is lasting a minute or less each episode? Or is it constant?  When I had the vertigo I couldnt read or look at my computer...it is truly debilitating.  Are you experiencing ringing in the ears (tinnitus) or any hearing loss at all?  Is the spinning occuring all the time or when you turn over in bed or make sudden movements with your head and body?

Please see an ENT (ear nose throat doctor) and let them do a hearing exam and ENG and an MRI of the auditory canal wouldnt be a bad idea.  Im confident this will clear for you shortly but I know its horrible while youre going through it.  The thing is, they will know its your inner ear but theyll probably say its of idiopathic origin...basically they have no clue why it happened.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and you can gladly PM or email me any questions you may have.

I hope youre feeling better soon!  Please keep us posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version