POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 01:48:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23102
  • Latest: Cobus
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632605
  • Total Topics: 47916
  • Online Today: 263
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Neurontin, also known as Gabapentin, for Back Pain  (Read 8351 times)

Offline HotGreek_STL

• Livin' la Vida Loca in Saint Louis, MO
Neurontin, also known as Gabapentin, for Back Pain
« on: January 17, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
Hey Folks,

Forgive me if I am posting this is the worng place.

I am a fortunate guy.  I have had HIV for 16 years, still working, and I have never been hospitalized.   This is truly wonderful.  My T-Cell are over 500 and Viral load is undetectable. However,  my body has been wearing out.   I have two ruptured discs in my back, stenosis in the spinal column, and plain old arthritis   I was set to have back surgery on the 2nd of January.   I was initially having terrible pain on my left side of my lower back and left leg along with numbness, and some atrophy of my left calf muscle.   The ruptured discs in my back seemed to be the cause.  I was also losing sensation and developing muscle weakness.  The surgeon wanted to operate this past  summer but I was in a metabolic study for Actos which included exercise with a personal trainer.   She was wonderful.   My strength improved and my blood sugars came under control.  I even started to look athletic enough so I could pass for a Sicilian Drag Queen if I stopped trimming my beard. ;D

In December I went to the surgeon.  I thought my symptoms were worse because I was now hurting on the right side but not hurting on the left.  The surgeon was puzzled.  The MRI showed I should be in terrific pain.   He said with my strength improving on the left side and pain going into remission that I should not have surgery because surgery would not do anything for the right side.   He said it is not worth the risk because the surgical risk at this time but would operate if I had weakness develop on the left side and especially if I was in pain.  He said the biggest benefit from surgery would be pain relief on the Left side but again you don't fix what isn't broke.   He said I can't do anything for the Right Side so off to Pain Management.

I had been to Pain Management for about a year prior to seeing the surgeon.  They sent me to PT and did Steroid shots for my back.   However, I was getting concerned about the atrophy and weakness so that is how I was sent to the surgeon.

The Pain Management doctor just started taking Neurontin for Back Pain.  I was told to start taking 300 mg at night and then 300 mg twice a day after 5 days, and finally 300 mg three times a day after 5 more days.   I talked to my HIV doctor and he said it would be OK to go up every 7 days so I could adjust to it when I was not at work.   I work at an ER so I need to be pretty perky there!  The first week of once at night made me fairly loopy but I adjusted to it and it seems less of a problem.

I now feel super  loopy because today was the day I started taking it twice a day.  I am hoping I will adjust.   In the big picture,  my problems are a luxury.    :) 

I haven't drank in about 17 years and I am in recovery so adjusting to being buzzed weirds me out but I am doing what needs to be done.   My AA sponsor is supportive but my brain is just not used to this feeling.   What does it feel like?  A combination of being drunk, stoned on weed, and high from too much caffeine.

I am glad I don't fly a plane, perform surgery, or do any direct patient care.

I know a lot folks here have been on Neurontin, AKA gabapentin, for Neuropathy.   How has it been for you?   How long does it take to get used to this stuff?   As for my back pain, it seems like it is still there but just to the side of my main concentration.   I also take Napoxyen BID and Tylenol as needed.

Hugs from Saint Louis, MO

Below is my list of medications.  Sometimes I feel like I have enough pills to stock a Walgreen's Pharmacy!

Folic Acid       1 mg TAB      2 TABS BID
Tricor          160 mg TAB      1 TAB at HS
Actos       30 mg TAB      1 TAB at HS

Monopril     10   mg  TAB      1 TAB DAILY
Indapamide     2.5  mg  TAB      1 TAB DAILY
Aspirin       80     mg TAB      1 TAB at HS

Naproxen      500   mg  TAB      1 TAB  BID

Wellbutrin   XL       150    mg  TAB         3 TABS  DAILY

Truvada        200/300   mg   TAB        1 TAB DAILY
Reyataz        300   mg   CAP      1 CAP DAILY
Norvir               100   mg   CAP      1 CAP DAILY
Valtrex        500   mg   TAB      1 TAB at HS   

Claritin       10 mg TAB          1 TAB DAILY
Albuterol        2 PUFFS EVERY 4 HOURS AS NEEDED      

Multivitamin   1 TAB DAILY

"TO SEE WHAT IS IN FRONT OF ONE'S NOSE NEEDS A CONSTANT STRUGGLE!"  GEORGE ORWELL

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
Re: Neurontin, also known as Gabapentin, for Back Pain
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »
Hot Greek,

I take Gabapentin, 800 mgs 3 x a day.  It doesn't make me loopy, but I've been on it for years.  I take it for neuropathy though, not for any other pains.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »
Hi Greek,

I can't take Neurontin because any NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) rips my stomach up.

I sometimes have back pain and my doctor prescribes Robaxin (methocarbamol 750mgs) and it works wonders for me. The label says it can cause drowsiness, but it doesn't for me. The only noticable side-effect I've had is getting slight cotton mouth about an hour after taking it, which lasts for about an hour.

Maybe you could ask your pain management people about this drug and if it would be suitable for you. Good luck - back pain is the pits.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HotGreek_STL

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »
Update on Neurontin.

It did make me pretty loopy.  I have been off alcohol for 15 years and it really felt like I was drunk for a few days.   I am now up to 300 mg TID and I have adjusted.  My leg pain has gotten better but it is still there.

Today, I get a dental cleaning and steroid shots in my back.   Believe it or not the dental cleaning hurts more than the steroid shots.  :)
"TO SEE WHAT IS IN FRONT OF ONE'S NOSE NEEDS A CONSTANT STRUGGLE!"  GEORGE ORWELL

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »
I'm glad you're able to tolerate the Neurontin alright and that it's working. 

I remember how much the dentist used to hurt.  I always thought I woud slide out of the chair whenever I'd get those Novacaine shots, yuck.

Good luck.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline HotGreek_STL

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:02:21 AM »
UPDATE ON THE NEURONTIN

It is helping with back pain but  I am still having spasms at night so the plan is for me to gradually go up to 900mg TID.

As for side effects,  I have been forgetful and feeling buzzed.  ??? Since starting it I took my Morning Medications twice in a row because I just forget.  FYI  I do put my medications in weekly pill boxes so I am getting frustrated because I have always had good adherence with my meds. My boyfriend says I have been repeating myself.  If these symptoms do not improve, I am going to have to do something else.  Unfortunately if I have to stop I will have to gradually lower the dose to get off it.  Neurontin was initially designed as an Ant-Seizure medication so if you stop cold Turkey you can get a seizure.  AAAARGH!

Such is life.   Like many of you, I sometimes feel like I have a miniature Walgreens at my house.  The colors are like a Pittsburgh Paint Chip Sample book.

Love and Peace Out Everybody! :)

Below is my list of medications.  Sometimes I feel like I have enough pills to stock a Walgreen's Pharmacy!

Folic Acid       1 mg TAB      2 TABS BID
Tricor          160 mg TAB      1 TAB at HS
Actos       30 mg TAB      1 TAB at HS

Monopril     10   mg  TAB      1 TAB DAILY
Indapamide     2.5  mg  TAB      1 TAB DAILY
Aspirin       80     mg TAB      1 TAB at HS

Naproxen      500   mg  TAB      1 TAB  BID

Wellbutrin   XL       150    mg  TAB         3 TABS  DAILY

Truvada        200/300   mg   TAB        1 TAB DAILY
Reyataz        300   mg   CAP      1 CAP DAILY
Norvir               100   mg   CAP      1 CAP DAILY
Valtrex        500   mg   TAB      1 TAB at HS   

Claritin       10 mg TAB          1 TAB DAILY
Albuterol        2 PUFFS EVERY 4 HOURS AS NEEDED     

Multivitamin   1 TAB DAILY

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.