POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2015, 08:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 25378
  • Latest: Thorin
Stats
  • Total Posts: 663438
  • Total Topics: 50981
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: About to have dental implants done  (Read 351 times)

Offline RobbyR

About to have dental implants done
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:17:29 PM »
Has anyone here had dental implants done? I'm about to have implants placed for my front two teeth which were knocked out in an accident some years back. I've worn temporaries until now, which have been a big nuiscance & feel very uncomfortable. The dental clinic I go to is pretty much run by students, but supervised by faculty, and so far I've had good experiences based on being treated well, although I had to go back several times because on one or two occasions they did stuff wrong. However, on the plus side, due to my grant, I don't have to pay for my dental care, so that's a huge plus. If I went to a private dentist, I could never afford two implants.

I'm a bit nervous, even though they pulled my wisdom teeth & I had no problems. I was scheduled for the procedure, but both times I backed out before because I was nervous about it. But after soul-searching, I realize I have to do it, there's no other way, other than to keep wearing the temporary partial, which isn't a comfortable or viable option long-term. And since I'm still young, I figure I'll take a chance with the implants, even if it they will be done by a student dentist. It's just the only way I can do it and not have to pay for it out of pocket which would be impossible. Just kind of thinking the implants is a bigger deal & I really need it to go well. Has anyone on here had it done? Are they comfortable once they heal? Thanks.
Started Atripla August, 2010.

Offline mitch777

Re: About to have dental implants done
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Robby,

Although I have never had dental implants I see it in my future. I know that the expense is enormous! From what I hear it can be about $10,000 per implant! Yikes!

Please take advantage of it while you can. I'm sure it's not the most fun procedure in the world but why wait if you know it's needed? I highly doubt much pain will be an issue, more of a temporary inconvenience. The worst case scenario would be if the implant didn't "take" and that they would have to try again.

I hate dental work myself.

Go forward and get it done. I highly doubt you will have any regrets.

m.

32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:29:48 PM »
Thanks mitch, yeah I chickened out twice before but since it's my front teeth, I really have no choice but to bite the bullet & go for it. I hate dental work too. On the plus, with this, I'll have IV sedation, so that's a plus. I just hope they take. The crucial part is the first 1-3 months to see if the implant base takes to the bone, & if it does, they then can just attach the implants. It's quite an involved process, & one I'd prefer a private, experienced dentist to do, but since I can not afford that, I'll have to take my chances with the student clinic.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »
Thanks mitch, yeah I chickened out twice before but since it's my front teeth, I really have no choice but to bite the bullet & go for it. I hate dental work too. On the plus, with this, I'll have IV sedation, so that's a plus. I just hope they take. The crucial part is the first 1-3 months to see if the implant base takes to the bone, & if it does, they then can just attach the implants. It's quite an involved process, & one I'd prefer a private, experienced dentist to do, but since I can not afford that, I'll have to take my chances with the student clinic.

I've heard great things about student dentists. They do have oversight by those who teach them. I'm glad to hear you are moving forward! Don't worry about the sedation, you will likely wake up with little concern.

As a side note, I had an absessed (sp?) tooth when I was about 8 years old. They gave me Sodium Pentothal and put me in the recovery room which was basically an enclosed room with padded benches along three sides. Anyway, I woke up laughing harder than I can remember even to this day. I was rolling on the floor and laughing so hard the nurse came in to check on me. When I say rolling I mean across the entire floor, climbing on the benches, and falling back into hysteria. It went on for what seemed forever and I will never forget it and I doubt the nurse will either. 

I left with a giggle. So much fun! Really.
32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
I have had allot of dental work done by students and never had a problem and Mark is right Ö you would be more likely to get a bad dental job by an established dentist than a student because they are graded on the work they do and it must be right of they donít get credit for it . I never had implants but lots of root canals, never a problem .

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »
I have two and have not regretted them. Been in a long time, but they did not cost $10,000 each. I would fact gather, find out if you have to pay anything. It is a phenomenal form of dentistry which, like ARVs, is always being improved upon.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
Very good points guys! I've had the student dentists do quite a bit for me over time, & mostly it was good experiences. In a lot of ways I seem to hit it off with them really good because they're like young & have good senses of humor by and large. And also *fans self* some of them are hOTTTT! Lord!

They tried laughing gas on me when I had my wisdom teeth out, but it made me really really sick so didn't work, but the IV sedation worked like a charm. I had virtually no pain after. This implant procedure would be the most involved dental work I've ever had done, but I have to do it & not let my nerves get the best of me.

I already have appointments set up. I hope they aren't mad I cancelled the other 2 times, but I realize now that I have to do it or use a bridge the rest of my life (icck).

And it's my front two teeth too, so really no choice. My student dentist who'll be doing it is a hot furry guy (cub-like) & he was super sweet to me last time. I don't think I'll have any problems letting him work in my mouth  ;)

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:19:52 PM »
I have two and have not regretted them. Been in a long time, but they did not cost $10,000 each. I would fact gather, find out if you have to pay anything. It is a phenomenal form of dentistry which, like ARVs, is always being improved upon.

Yeah they're ridiculously expensive per individual tooth! No way I could ever afford it on my own right now. But thankfully, where I go, the student clinic is with the university where I get my hiv care, & the state hiv/ryan white grant I have been on allows me to get free dental care even cosmetic because in my case it's my front two teeth that are missing due to the accident so they were able to get approval very easily for me to get them done because it's not just a cosmetic necessity, but simply needing permanent teeth to bite food & have proper bone structure in my mouth.

Online tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »
I chipped my two front teeth and had crowns or veneers put on.  Not sure the difference really.  To get all my teeth to look the same, they also put them on four other healthy teeth.  They sawed down all 6 teeth.  They literally looked like a saw, or something out of a scary movie.  The new teeth went over those saw teeth.  I was in the dental chair for 6 hours.  Not fun.

I also had this done at a dental school.  That could be why it took so long.  I just learned they all have to be replaced.  They didn't close the margins (dental speak) and it allowed food to get in.  The director was really pissed and she wasn't shy about saying it.  She said that was something they easily would have known and should have immediately remedied.  Soon after they were done, I complained about discoloration up around the gums.  The dental student said that was some blood and would go away.  It didn't.  We hope there isn't much decay.  I am actually not too upset, because I wasn't happy with the look.  They looked too fake.  They will now add more ridges or whatever, to make them look more real.  We are also going lighter.  I want to have my teeth whitened, but couldn't whiten too much, because I was stuck with the shade of the crowns/veneers.  They are paying to have them replaced, which is like $6,000 or somewhere around there.

It sounds like you don't have existing teeth to saw down, to do the procedure I had.  I know there is the procedure where the teeth snap into something they surgically implant into your gum.  Is that what they are doing?  The teeth can be snapped in and out. 

Offline ImisstheOldTimes

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »
I have had my front two teeth lumineered, which is similar to Teddy, but I still have my own teeth underneath, I mean there is some grinding down to hold it in place, and they cost $1K each. 

From what I understand about dental implants, they are going to put little screws in your gum line and then screw the teeth in place. Glad you will be knocked out for the process.

Good luck  ;)
Life is a BANQUET, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

~Auntie Mame

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.