POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2015, 06:57:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 26336
  • Latest: mario2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 673358
  • Total Topics: 52140
  • Online Today: 210
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 134
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Caitlyn Jenner, Just Inspiring!  (Read 1849 times)

Offline RobbyR

Caitlyn Jenner, Just Inspiring!
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
I'd just like to say how much I applaud her for being so courageous I'm not a Kardashian fan but Caitlyn has been so eloquent & you can just tell looking in her eyes that she is being true to who she is as a human being & I love it. I have transgendered friends & they are all inspired by her but as we know she is not the first there have been many before her but I am loving that Caitlyn is setting such a strong example for someone to just follow their heart & be who they are! This society is misogynistic & so many people seem to be so threatended by transgendered people or even feminine gay men, it's ridiculous in 2015 but I really think we are in the middle of a sea change things are changing & Caitlyn is showing that you can be yourself & not have to hide.

Of course in middle america this is still a BIG problem though for people who identify as transgendered or who are gay. I have seen so many despicable hateful comments about Caitlyn from people who don't know what the they are talking about. Transgendered & gender identity are totally separate from sexual orientation but the far right is continuing to spread this bullshit about people being "sinners" or calling transgendered or feminine gay men "disgusting" or other names.

But yet Mike Huckabee will defend a child molester but he was talking about transgendered people being a "threat" to children? Wow, just wow.

And can someone tell me why it's always ugly ass middle class thin-lipped soccer moms or old ass men with bad combovers who seem to be the most hateful? They keep spreading this shit about "adam & eve not adam & steve" I'm sorry but it's not okay for these people to do this shit for punchlines. Kids are committing suicide over this. Caitlyn is fortunate to have a supportive environment to support her in her transition but a lot of people don't have that & it's sad. Bullying is still a huge issue & I just hope anyone who reads my post, anytime you see someone bullying or making a hateful comment about someone JUST for their sexual orientation or if they are someone who is transgendered, please call them out on it. I am not transgendered, I am a gay man, but I really empathize with the transgendered community, maybe because as a feminine gay man, I have always taken a lot of shit & been bullied or ridiculed for it. I just hope people can start seeing with their heart more. End rant.  :-*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:29:29 PM by RobbyR »
Started Atripla August, 2010.

Offline RobbyR

Re: Caitlyn Jenner, Just Inspiring!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »

Btw this is one of the photos from her Vanity Fair shoot I am LIVING for her photos she looks fantastic very old-Hollywood glam I love it. Her spirit really comes through in a quiet lovely way.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »
Good rant Robby.

My niece is transgendered and would appreciate your comments.

Some may like her or not as a person but she did have the guts to do this in the public eye and she will be remembered for it.

I also applaud Vanity Fair and Annie Leibowitz.

Mike Huckabee will fade into history as a hater. It's best just to laugh at him and his kind.
32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »
And can someone tell me why it's always ugly ass middle class thin-lipped soccer moms or old ass men with bad combovers who seem to be the most hateful?
I agree with nearly everything you said, but this sentence, with its unneeded references to appearance and sweeping generalities falls into the same space as those who judge you for being "an effeminate gay man".  This is not your first post with negative statements about "old men".  Rant about what they do or say, not how they look - else you look like a hypocrite.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »
Afraid I have to voice a quiet vote in RobbyR's favor. The social views of the older generation and the religious conservative are well-documented to be traditionally (pun intended) more hateful and more prejudiced, on the average, than other groups. It doesn't mean that because a person is of a certain age, they'll be a certain way. But as I was reading this article, my old, religious Aunt Stephanie posted to Facebook an image of a soldier carrying another in battle, with this caption: (quote) "As I see post after post about Bruce Jenner's transition to a woman, and I hear words like, bravery, heroism, and courage, just thought I'd remind all of us what real American courage, heroism, and bravery looks like!" (endquote) Sigh. She is the epitome of the "old church lady" who sneers at everything that doesn't fit her narrow social views. I still love her.

RobbyR - The good news is that, even among the older generation who have consistently been the most vocal opponents of the gay lifestyle and gay marriage rights, a majority now support even gay marriage. Actually blew me away that the polling numbers were that high:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/183272/record-high-americans-support-sex-marriage.aspx?utm_source=SAME_SEX_RELATIONS&utm_medium=topic&utm_campaign=tiles

But it's still important to recognize that prejudice is hurtful, and truly so, and that we can't dismiss the pain of those being disdained and rejected by "normal" (I use that term very loosely) society. And here's why it matters: http://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/stigma-and-discrimination.htm

Bocker - I think he was just making a reference to the iconic image of the "hater", a la Dana Carvey's Church Lady from SNL. ("Isn't that special?") Let's not get tooooo defensive of charicatures of bigots out there, eh? It's not a major foul, especially given the ones being "insulted" aren't members of this forum. This from a straight, white, ex-evangelical Christian guy who grew up amid those archetypal persons to whom he refers. :)

Smileyface = indicator of "Tongue-In-Cheek" conversation.
Richie "R2". the Rocket Surgeon

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
to sum up... get off my lawn

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »
To sum up..I acknowledged that many older people are more supportive now of LGBT rights than they once were & I applaud this..However there is no doubt that many people of certain ages are way more homophobic than younger people. That's been my experience anyway. But things are slowly changing even more so than 10 years ago & it's great to see.

Sadly there will always be ignorant people but what I'm finding is that if I just am comfortable as myself in my own skin, some people may not like gay men, or see them as a threat, but that's not my problem, that's their problem. Same for transgendered people. What I am beginning to learn is that bigots & haters can only have power if you let them. And to be learning that in itself is very empowering for me.  :-*

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:21:34 PM »
Grumble, grumble...whipper-snappers... grumble, grumble... gas was twelve cents in my day... uphill both ways... damn those TheGays... grumble grumble...

GET OFF MY LAWN!!! Hehe.

(ooooh, a typo when I hit the wrong key for the above was GET OFF MY LAWS! Wow, I like that as a slogan. Gotta be something I can do with that, once I learn how to draw political cartoons. Or, well, anything.)

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:43:15 PM »
I'm disappointed by this idea that every person, must be labeled and that generalization of an entire age segment, based on any one item is futile.  Hate and intolerance are human traits, so we are all susceptible to that behavior.  The fact that one person expresses hostility, against a given group of people, is not an indication of anything other than that particular person.  This need to label people, instead of working to reduce the undesirable behavior in that individual, has always puzzled me.  Words like all, most, many, etc., simply have no use when referring to diverse groups of people.

Joe

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 05:45:39 PM »

Richie's Bad Photo-Editing Job. You're welcome. :P

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »

Then you have Mike Huckabee, making this s-bat crazy comment :

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/mike-huckabee-transgender-shower-joke-118546.html

Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 4/1/15,  t-cells are at 437,   Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 15%

63 years young.

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »
You know, I spent so many years in fear and loathing of that man...

But when he says things that are THAT dumb and misinformed...

Concentration camps for AIDS patients and "pretending" to be transgendered...

...I have to wonder if he's just pulling our collective legs. Gotta be! You have to be smarter than that for your brain to have the horsepower to operate your lungs and heartbeat simultaneously, right?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 12:27:21 AM »
Brian and I were at a yacht club, to sign a contract for his parent's 50th anniversary party.  As a yacht club, one would assume you have more conservatives there.  Maybe not, but I assume that. 

We were in the bar area, to sign the contract.  I was surprised it was the younger people, who happened to be mostly women, who had negative things to say about Caitlyn.  I was equally surprised it was a few older men, who said they don't care and whatever makes him/her happy.  Of course, this isn't scientific and maybe we just overheard some older men, who were just more live and let live. 

I have been disappointed in some friends from high school (all conservative), who have reposted some very ugly things.  One was a post from someone who claims to be a Marine, calling Jenner "it" and "mental."  These are people in their late 30's posting things like that.  There were others comparing soldiers to Jenner, and how Jenner is not heroic, because I guess only soldiers can be heroic.  I remember these same people posting how some kid demanding prayer in school was heroic.  So, it really wasn't about who we call heroic, rather it was just an attack on Jenner.

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 06:18:18 AM »
TednLou -

That's what I got from my family on Facebook, the "only soldiers can be heroic" (or as they put it, "this is what REAL American heroism looks like"... noting also that they refused to call her anything other than Bruce in their posts) trope. Many of the things my family posts horrify me, but I just don't see the need to be cruel in what is to me a situation that calls for open joy and celebration. I never watched that awful Reality (or any Reality) Show, but I could see even in passing that Bruce was listless and kind of a sad human being, depressing even at a glance, not really fitting in with his glamorous family members. I could tell just in the few seconds it took me to say, "Nope, not Kardashians," and flip to the next channel. Now I see Caitlyn and she is beautiful and beaming and appears happy with herself. How hard is that transformation to see, for anyone, if I can see it?

Bigotry seems like a good way to complicate things that just aren't that complicated, to me! It's certainly not limited to older persons and, as the polling numbers I posted above show, it's actually improving even in the elder age categories and is now above 50% approval for gay marriage. That blows me away. Never would have guessed that could happen in my lifetime, let alone so soon.

She looks great, and I hope she's as happy as she appears to be.

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
I may need help/advice, processing something I just can't wrap my head around. I spent a long time away from my family, even before I did 9 years in prison two states away from everyone. The family are generally very close, and I wish to reconnect with (most of) them. They are eager to see me after all these years. Yet they are also very conservative and very southern. And though it's not this particular issue that primarily motivates me, it is starting to get under my skin.

You see, my family will just NOT let this Caitlyn Jenner thing go! (Though of course, they keep saying "Bruce".) Every day I log on, it's more stuff about it, right down to some really unfortunate photos from paparazzi of Caitlyn on a rough morning, driving past in the car and snapped through the sidewindow, labeled "Sorry I'm late, having tranny problems." (That would be hilarious if not for how cruelly the photo was selected.)

Recently, I shared Lizzy the Lezzie's Facebook post about the guy who created the first meme to go around, with a beautiful twist of irony:
http://distractify.com/Mustafa-Gatollari/jenner-irony/?ts_pid=2

The one that keeps getting my goat is the Marine Corps one, and related ones, "Please excuse us, we're on our way to thank Bruce Jenner for being so courageous." Ugh!! I've been seeing it for days, but when my favorite little cousin posted it on Facebook, this morning, it prompted this angry reply from me:
I love you, Jac *****, but if you're going to post the "Please Excuse Us" Marine Corps meme, you need to read this first. Because Caitlyn (NOT Bruce) Jenner is not only an American Olympic HERO, but also volunteered for this:

http://www.glaad.org/blog/violence-against-transgender-people-and-people-color-disproportionately-high-lgbtqh-murder-rate

Not only soldiers are heroes. Being in a place where she knew she would receive such scrutiny, thousands of death threats, and publicly be called every name in the book (including Brave, but not hero as far as I have seen). I admit I am more familiar with this community because of my health status than most people in the all-straight (as they say, hetero-normative) world are. But you seem to be a caring person, so try to understand and care. I would have posted this under your own article, but you have that option disabled, so I have to put it here. Love ya, Cuz.

I also private-message everyone I can (those who have not yet blocked me, essentially) and link them to an example of how a Marine who is a decent human being deals with the issue. I just don't know how to make them understand that they have someone who is "Different" among them, even though I'm straight and would otherwise be considered "normal", whateverthehell they imagine that is, and so they cannot sling these hateful things without striking a target close to them. It's part of why I left behind that culture and my family with it, but now that I have a son who needs to at least know his extended family, I have to learn how to process it. For starters, I try to show them examples of acceptance and real love, rather than simple "mock while tolerating":

http://terminallance.com/2015/06/05/terminal-lance-offended-ii/

It's clever, both a comic strip and a blog entry worth seeing, below it.

But any advice and/or commentary would be welcome. Been a bit depressed, since I turned 39 on Friday, just kinda measuring up this world into which I have emerged and feeling more isolated than ever.

Offline initforlife

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
Richie.  I think at times this where the song let it go needs to be played.. I pick my battles daily of what I want to respond to . I also have lots of Christian family on my fb who post all kinds of shit that's just wrong.  and I even called them out on it for being a face book bully by some of the crap they posted.. I now have seen it tone down a bit. but it's still there from some.. So I just let a lot go! Not everything Is our battles to fight just be supported to the issues that are closes to your heart.
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »
Thanks Init. Yeah, I've always had a problem with "which atrocities to ignore because you can't fight them all."

I think it's because Jaclyn (Jac) is my favorite cousin of the younger generation of cousins, and she's normally very open-minded and tolerant. Often, it's just me and her against the rest of the family, particularly on issues of race, since she's married to a black guy. So seeing her post that one just kinda kidney-punched me.

On the Comedy Central show @Midnight, which I love, the question was asked: "What is Facebook most useful for?" And Ron Funches (whom I love!) gave the most brilliant answer:

"Learning which of my white 'friends' are secretly racist."

I think being in racist, homophobic part of the country, and being new to FBook has made me realize that my family aren't an exception to the "why people think the South sucks and are not wrong" ruless. If I didn't feel isolated before, I do now. :(

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 11:02:31 AM »
Richie; perhaps your aunt and cousin should see this....I watched the documentary on her life, and I highly recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristin_Beck

Kristin Beck, Christopher T. Beck; June 21, 1966) is a former  United States Navy SEAL who gained public attention in 2013 when she came out trans woman. She published her memoir in June 2013, [/size]Warrior Princess: A U.S. Navy SEAL's Journey to Coming out Transgender [/color][/size]detailing her experiences.[/color][/size]Beck served in the U.S. Navy for twenty years and is the first openly [/color]ransgender former U.S. Navy SEAL. The Atlantic Wire, Salon, and Huffington Post have speculated that Beck's story may lead the Department of Defense to revisit its policies against transgender people openly serving in the U.S. military.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:10:12 AM by Jmarksto »
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 02:35:15 PM »
That'd be a gamble, for sure... I was aware of Kristin Beck, but if I posted that, it'd be just as likely to backfire. I spent almost ten years not talking to any of my family over bigotry, and am only just now trying to really reconnect after being pushed by my fiancee to do so on behalf of our son. I fear that if I pointed out Kristin's story, they'd call her "Chris", or they'd say she was brave for being a SeAL but nothing else, and I'd be so angry at it that I'd feel obliged to shut down again. :(

Offline mitch777

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 05:27:46 PM »
Hi Richie,

I hate to say this but bigotry can be so engrained in some people that nothing you can say would matter.

If your favorite cuz has some hope of understanding it might be worth the effort. Getting even ONE person in your life (and others lives) to learn acceptance is how we progress.

I recently was surprised on FB with someone who I've known since birth on the topic of "religious freedom".  I tried but got nowhere. I let it drop but think the conversation will stick with her. Sometimes that's all we can do.

It's up to you too if you think that reconnecting your son to your family is wise. I hope your fiancee understands the challenges ahead.

I'm sorry you are feeling more isolated. I'm in the same boat but for completely different reasons. While my solution is to move I know you don't have that option for now from the little I've read of your posts (been a bit out of touch here). Hope you can find other open-minded folks in the mean time. I'm sure they are out there, even in the south.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you in Memphis and I wish you a Happy Birthday in advance.

Mark
32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 07:17:43 PM »
Ritchie - facebook is a unique kind of communication.  If you want to discuss your views with relatives who are worth the time and effort, do it face to face.  Facebook is filled with proclamations, and defence of territory. It's very public. 
Jenner can provoke a lot of uncomfortable or hard to clarify thoughts and it will take some people quite some time, if ever, to be able to process that there are more than 2 genders. 

I spent 2 hours tonight with gay guys in switzerland who absolutely couldn't grasp that Jenner is straight - they all instisted he would eventually want a guy. 

When I had some friends and lovers in the trans-gender categories, transvestites, transsexuals, I went around the watering holes in NYC for while with them.  Sexual orientation and sexual preferences are not the same as gender identity whatsoever and people with conventional minds will really have a hard time processing variations from heterosexuality and cisgender identity.   They are threatened by people as harmless and powerless as a tomboy or a sissy.   Jenner will blow their minds.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
Thanks for the perspective, guys.

Yeah, it's hard sometimes, re: the family and deciding what I want my son to be exposed to... but I was sheltered for religious purposes, and I don't consider it worth the harm of realizing one was sheltered. In the end, my son will have to make his own decisions, and it's my job to make sure he has all the tools to do so with as little bias as possible. I'll love him regardless of his choices. I just hope he doesn't announce at dinner someday that he's coming out as... NeoConservative! *gasp!* :P

I also look forward to Memphis. But my birthday was two days ago, Friday the 5th. I'm 39 now! Old!! Aaaaaauuuugh!!!

*sigh* Happens to the best of us, I s'pose.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »
A local news anchor posted this-- see below.  This was posted under his work account, on Sunday.  This is an anchor I worked with at another station, before he was fired there for having two DUI's.  I did wonder whether he was under the influence again, because I just can't think what he was thinking.  A former anchor from the station, who happens to be gay and now works in Denver, took him to task. 

Offline bocker3

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 07:50:22 AM »
I spent 2 hours tonight with gay guys in switzerland who absolutely couldn't grasp that Jenner is straight - they all instisted he would eventually want a guy. 

I keep seeing people saying that Caitlyn Jenner is straight -- but if she is attracted to women, wouldn't that make her a lesbian?  I am not trying to be funny here -- I'm quite serious.  Do we use identity or original anatomy to determine sexual orientation?

M
Atripla - Started 12/05
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
I keep seeing people saying that Caitlyn Jenner is straight -- but if she is attracted to women, wouldn't that make her a lesbian?  I am not trying to be funny here -- I'm quite serious.  Do we use identity or original anatomy to determine sexual orientation?

M

I guess it brings up the question of labels. I have never identified with being a man or a woman and as simple as it seems I put it down to it is what it is. Im not directing this at you but part of the problem with the whole equality thing is it puts pressure on some people to explain how or why they are the way they are and once both LGBT and the heterosexual community works through this the goal or equality should be that no one should ever have to justify they're sexual identity to another and then labels will lose stigma that are attached to them at present.

Your question is a good question though and its one that can only be answered by the individual. 

Offline bocker3

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
I guess it brings up the question of labels. I have never identified with being a man or a woman and as simple as it seems I put it down to it is what it is. Im not directing this at you but part of the problem with the whole equality thing is it puts pressure on some people to explain how or why they are the way they are and once both LGBT and the heterosexual community works through this the goal or equality should be that no one should ever have to justify they're sexual identity to another and then labels will lose stigma that are attached to them at present.

Your question is a good question though and its one that can only be answered by the individual.

I agree 100% -- it shouldn't matter, but every time I see someone insisting (to the point of nasty arguments online) that she is straight, it does make me wonder what that means here.  It's like fighting over something that we don't, in fact, know the answer -- and, frankly, it's none of our business.

M
Atripla - Started 12/05
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »

This guy is just full of christian love,....

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/06/10/1392229/-Arizona-Pastor-You-evil-filthy-animal-that-s-destroying-the-morals-of-our-country-die

"Faithful Word Baptist Church Pastor Steven Anderson of Tempe, Arizona, is back spewing his hatred for my community with a vengeance. This time it is Caitlyn Jenner who has reduced him to a puddle of writhing, stinking santorum."...
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 4/1/15,  t-cells are at 437,   Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 15%

63 years young.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Makes me wonder if the supreme court looks at the hate thats being spewed and sates passing preemptive laws to get around SSM as all the more reason to affirm in our favor on gay marriage …. all the hate and venom is proof that people mean to deny us equal access under the law. 

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 12:17:13 AM »
I would hope the Supreme Court do it for utterly dispassionate reasons. There is simply no Constitutionally-defensible argument in support of any "compelling government interest" to justify such discriminatory restriction of "liberty interests" (to be free from government restriction of our lives) in marriage to whomever can sign the other blank on the contract form. Even the worst bigot on the court (Sca... um, nevermind) should be able to figure that one out. If the decision is not unanimous in favor of recognizing the right already recognized in several Circuits, it will be on technical, not religious, grounds.

That said, I think SCotUS has been appalling, in general, in its history of support of and recognition of any right related to the basic principles human dignity, often long after they should have been on the "right side of history". They have made some historically infamous rulings. For instance, Bowers v. Hardwick in 1986 told gays they were not able to have their liberty interest in sexual privacy, a freedom from government restraint of consensual sex that straights long enjoyed, and it took until 2004 to get it recognized by the court finally admitting it had drawn the interest too narrowly, in Lawrence v. Texas. Or for serious wrong side of history, look at "Separate But Equal" taking 58 years for the Court to correct, in 1954 with Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka.

The Court is notorious for religious pandering and bizarre justifications for things that seem to have the "legal" part applied post hoc, when it comes to issues that offend their religious/moral sentiments. Thomas and Scalia are especially known for this, though of course Roberts and Alito have their moments. I will be surprised if it doesn't go almost-unanimously in favor of gay marriage, but the question to me is whether it will take another decade to see them act on rights of repressed sexual minorities again? At least, I say.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 12:57:24 AM »
I was pleased to see our University of Louisville Medical School is starting a pilot program, in order to train medical students how to interact with the LBGT community.  The training will be integrated into all four years of medical school and residency. 

I was really impressed with what the Associate Dean said:

"So when I am teaching first year medical students how to greet a patient how to take a basic patient history how to ask who a person lives with and what their social support is, I need to be affirmative and inclusive I need to not bring a heterosexual bias to that, I need to not assume that every woman I meet is partnered with a man or wants to be. I need to not assume that every woman I meet started out in life born as a woman I need to ask the right questions," Holthouser said.

http://www.whas11.com/story/news/local/2015/06/11/transgender-university-of-louisville-medical-school/71089384/

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 08:33:32 AM »
Tednlou2 -

Wow, thanks for linking to that. This morning's news feed and links from friends and this board have all been bad news, and yours was the last link I read.

State senators making derisive comments to teachers and scientists as they pass laws teaching the Bible in science class in my home state of Louisiana (and also Idaho, apparently). Indiana putting up "Warning HIV Outbreak" signs along the highway. My mom's in the hospital with another kidney infection. I need to smile. That's really great to see at least somewhere in Duh South can be progressive-thinking and treat a broader definition of human beings as... y'know, human beings.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 01:15:14 AM »
Here is her acceptance speech, from tonight's ESPY Awards.  Such a great speech. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/caitlyn-jenner-preaches-acceptance-emotional-espys-award-speech/story?id=32479971

Offline initforlife

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
I think her speech was dead on..  Isn't this what we all want is acceptance and respect no matter what ? Great speech wished more people thought this way!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.