POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23105
  • Latest: vqlz
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632618
  • Total Topics: 47919
  • Online Today: 263
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Plain Truth About Christmas  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
The Plain Truth About Christmas
« on: December 23, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
Just in case you ever wondered about things that goes bump in the night and your stockings stayed empty or how it got full....just in case... ;)

The Plain Truth About Christmas
http://home.sprynet.com/~pabco/ptofxmas.htm

Who is this man?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_W._Armstrong

Happy Holidays Everyone. :-*

I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
Re: The Plain Truth About Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
Blessed Be!

HUGS,

Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »
But the "Christmas spirit" is created each year, not to honor Christ, but to sell merchandise. Like all Satan's delusions, it appears as an "angel of light," is made to appear good. Billions of dollars are spent in this merchandising spree every year, while the cause of Christ must suffer.

And here I thought I was a hypocrite because I'm not a christian but love Christmas! This explains everything! Ahh... my cognitive dissonance is resolved.

Merry Christmas!

Offline Merlin

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »
Words of "Truth" (depends on how much one chooses to believe) may have had been spoken, but as usual, none should be taken 100% to heart and committed to memory and practice, without first self reflecting through one's instinctive compass to guide us along the ways of the world.

Another year, another Christmas, another iPod, another iPhone, another sale.  :o ;D

For what is worth, the article that is, be it controversial or not, give yourself the gift of TRUTH and offer your heart in prayers; and thank our Maker for the gift of life, yet still for another year. :-* Amen, Shalom, Blessed Be! 8)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:55:26 AM by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »
The observations in the article are hardly revelations. Anyone who's studied history might've learned that Christmas was the Church's way of letting people keep their pagan festival, just like the three holy days that start with Hallowe'en.

It was rather ho-ho-hum until I read 'The name "Santa Claus" is a corruption of the name "St. Nicholas,"' and at that point I realized that the writer is just bitter and probably too coal-hearted to forgive his parents for lying to him about Santa Claus, if he was even raised by humans instead of hyenas. "Corruption" is such a negative word.

Like GSO, you don't have to be Christian to have a merry Christmas.

For me personally, Christmas is about giving, which is why even though Santi and I set a limit on how much to spend on each other, I went way over it! :D

Pansies and PuppydogsTM!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
I have to say I agree with Cr8on on this one.  The author seems to have some kind of evil grudge, and wants everyone else to feel the same.

I believe that if some observed day, or season, motivates people to give more, love more, embrace goodness more, than let it alone.  It's a good thing for those who get good will etc. out of it.  Why try to ruin it if not for some kind of personal vindication?  To the author of the article, I say "bah."
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 05:51:22 PM »
The author seems to have some kind of evil grudge, and wants everyone else to feel the same.

He's totally Grinchy... heart two sizes too small.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »
I don't get where people think this guy's a grinch. He's written an article based on historical fact. Jesus wasn't born in December and the Christian church co-opted the long-standing winter festival. There are many parallels all through history with similar stories for this time of year - and the Jesus story fits the bill nicely. There have been myths surrounding the lengthening of days (winter solstice) since humans first noticed it.

It was rather ho-ho-hum until I read 'The name "Santa Claus" is a corruption of the name "St. Nicholas,"' and at that point I realized that the writer is just bitter and probably too coal-hearted to forgive his parents for lying to him about Santa Claus, if he was even raised by humans instead of hyenas. "Corruption" is such a negative word.

Actually, no, in this context, "corruption" isn't really a negative word. It's a term used in linguistics to denote changes to a word or phrase over time.

If you say "Saint Nicholas" with an American accent, you won't hear where Santa Claus comes from. If you pronounce it "Saunt Niklaus" and say it quickly, you'll hear it.

Ann
(who's a bit of an armchair etymologist) ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:02:52 PM by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 05:00:21 AM »
I don't get where people think this guy's a grinch.

I suppose it's because of how he starts out writing about how his parents had him believing in the whole Christmas scene, and he "never questioned it" etc. (as if this is what a child should do).  If he just would have written the article, without what seems like assigning blame for what he "used" to believe in, it might have come across different.

I've known for years about Jesus not being actually "born" on Christmas Day.  I imagine, if I were really into history and researched it enough, a couple of the presidents weren't really born on the days we celebrate here in the states either.  Who cares?  I don't make a huge deal about it being about the birth of Christ.  I like the giving spirit it seems to give a lot of people (I know this doesn't mean everyone), and generally how a lot of people seem to have "good tidings," so to speak. 

There's no harm in either of these things; the tone with which the guy wrote it was very distasteful, IMO.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Merlin

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 02:29:39 AM »
For some balanced logical take on all of this, Bill Maher's " Religulous ", did a great thought provoking documentary on religion per se. In the docu-movie, he was always challenging and sensible in his questions to fanatical believers but never offensive. I highly recommend anyone curious enough about the bigger picture to watch it. I honestly will give it 5 stars rating for its many humorous take on alot of very very delusional proponents of their own faith and the denial of their religion's errors. That itself can also be worrisome & scary. :o

Another great movie in the past worth watching too is, "For the Bible Tells Me So". This one deals with what the Bible did or did not say about homosexuality and how low lives choose to handle their baggages. So much errors in this world... :-\

Can't wait to watch MILK.  Unpleasant ending but very inspiring nevertheless. :)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.