Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2016, 08:48:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

• Total Posts: 701925
  • Total Topics: 55738
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 219
Total: 222

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lack of knowledge in Ireland.  (Read 362 times)

Offline G-Irish

Lack of knowledge in Ireland.
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »
So I just moved back to Ireland from the UK. I've been undetectable for 2 years and knew from previous visits home the sexual health knowledge gap between Ireland and the UK was pretty significant as well as the services provided!

However on return I've had my first personal "bad" experience. Starting seeing a guy - after the second date disclosed my status as it was going pretty great which doesn't happen me often (via text - don't enjoy the occasional look of pity/disgust you can get face to face). Told him he could ask any question he had. He asked a few questions but seemed ok with it.
He has suddenly text me today saying although he is mad about me, hasn't felt this kind of connection before but just can't take the risk and wants to end things. I thought the "risk" he was talking about was getting his heart broken. But a couple of messages later he confirmed the risk was him catching HIV.
I had already explained that as I was undetectable and when you're safe there's no real risk. My reply after he eventually admitted it was the hiv that was the problem was slightly heated - but mostly because he was choosing to end the relationship in it's infancy with no information because he couldn't be bothered to do a bit of research, by either asking me or a basic Google search. I'm finding this very tough as one of my biggest fears about moving back to Ireland has been the stigma here. I rarely had a bad reaction in the UK and have found the level of sexual health knowledge or the complete lack of here in Ireland quite scary. This situation had just confirmed the fears I had about moving home.

Not sure what I want from this post - maybe just to vent. I only have 1-2 friends I can talk to about this stuff with and they're back in the UK. As great as my friends are here only one of them knows my staid and he's not gay so relationship conversations can be awkward.
So any advice would be great, or personal experiences especially from Ireland.

Thanks in advance from a pissed of Irish guy!

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
Re: Lack of knowledge in Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:34:37 AM »

I normally disclose face to face and it nearly always goes well with the odd exception and things work out just fine for me. Sorry to hear you had a bad reaction, i am not sure texting is the best way to disclose if i am honest. If you are going to date/hook-up in Ireland my approach is back to basics presuming the other person knows absolutely nothing.

the sexual health knowledge gap between Ireland and the UK was pretty significant as well as the services provided!

Yeah... I mean we basically have a few generations walking around in Ireland with no sex education at all and the younger ones still tend to have very poor education on the topic of sex combined with general lack of HIV knowledge in frontline care staff (GP's/Nurses) and this is all part of the problem in Ireland.

Your experience could always be worse, I once kissed someone (Co.Meath) and she spend 30 min crying believing I had given her HIV.  But overall with the odd exception my experience has not been too bad or a problem.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:46:12 AM by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.