POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 02:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23102
  • Latest: Cobus
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632605
  • Total Topics: 47916
  • Online Today: 263
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV risk... pls advise!  (Read 3575 times)

Offline worriedzac

HIV risk... pls advise!
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:24:04 PM »
Hi,

I really hope that you'll be able to clear my doubts asap. I'm a 21 yo male and really terrified and regretful of what I have done so far.

A year ago, I received unprotected oral sex from another guy just once, and on all the other occasions we merely had deep kissing and random touching here and there (at times without clothes). These incidents with him really scared me a lot and I finally decided to get a test done around 6 months after exposure. The test results for HIV came out negative and so did the blood test for Hep B and another which I can't remember. Till today, I have not experienced any abnormal signs or symptoms except for the rare pain in the testicles which will usually be gone by the next day.

Based on the above, I hope I can be assured that I am alright and not in any danger from the incidents that happened 1 year ago.

Ever since the scare, I have been very mindful not to have sex, even if it were to be protected. However, temptation got the better of me and recently I had contact with another male friend whom I suspect to be HIV+. There was no intercourse involved.

The things that we did:
1) About 2 months ago, we performed mutual masturbation on each other. At times, he would rub his finger at the tip of my uncut penis with the foreskin pulled back. I can't be sure if he had any cut on his fingers at that point in time. Supposing he did have a cut that he was not aware of what would my risk be? While I was masturbating for him, I felt a little precum dripping on my hand from his penis. Again, I'm not sure if I had a cut that I might be unaware of. Also, as he did rub the tip of my penis, am I at any risk if there was his own precum on his fingers as he was also masturbated himself along the way. I understand that the virus might enter through the urethra that's why I'm getting worried...

2) Around last month, we had another episode of intimacy where we played with each other's nipples. It ended up with him licking, sucking and biting my nipples which were already sore and wounded by then. I'm worried about the risk if he had ulcers or bleeding gums at that point in time. He was also complaining about having dry lips prior to this. I have no idea if they were bleeding. After the whole incident, my nipples were painful even with water contact.

The 2 incidents mentioned above took place in a room with lights off so there could have been possibilities such as the following that I wouldn't be sure of:
- Did we both have wounds on our body that came into contact since we hugged quite a bit?
- Were his fingers bleeding or stained with precum while he masturbated me and rubbed my urethra?
- Was his mouth bleeding while he sucked and licked my wounded nipples?

... etc.

Also, another issue I am concern with is with regards to food sharing. I was having dinner with a HIV+ friend yesterday night and we were sharing food from a plate. At that time I was having a painful ulcer and a scratched tongue. Halfway through the dinner he bit himself by accident. My questions is, what is my risk if I took in food with infectious blood and the blood came into contact with my ulcer or scratched tongue?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could explain my risk of getting infected based on the exposures I have mentioned above with scientific HIV reasoning so I can be informed and suitably convinced.

I really hope you are able to allay my fears and reassure me that I am truly OK and that a test for HIV or other STIs is not required. I hope to get on with life without fear and guilt... Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:40:02 PM by worriedzac »

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV risk... pls advise!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:49 PM »
Nothing you did put you at risk of contracting HIV. Take the time to read the lessons session. The link can be found in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply, rod. There is something that I do not understand and wish to clarify with the experts in this forum.

There are articles all over the web stating that as long as there is a wound that comes into contact with a HIV+ person's wound, a risk is possible. Are they referring to deep wounds that bleed profusely or do minor ones that are only bleeding a little considered? Kindly educate me on the risk of such casual contacts with the presence of blood.

Also, I was reading past posts in "Am I infected?" and there was a forum guest who commented that there are people who have gotten HIV without even having sexual contact with anybody before... How is that possible?

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:09:58 PM »
Nothing you did put you at risk of contracting HIV. Take the time to read the lessons session. The link can be found in the "Welcome" thread.

Does Ann or any other forum experts have any other opinions regarding my exposures?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
I can't answer for anyone elses post what I can tell you is that you never had a risk of contracting HIV. Saliva has over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that inhibit HIV transmission.

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »
To Ann and Andy Valez, may I know what is your opinion regarding my exposures? I haven't heard anything from you guys...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
You are worrying needlessly. None of the activities you have participated in put you at risk for HIV transmission. And yes, I got all the details about sore nipples and scratches and whatever. Zero for risk.

HJV is a fragile virus. It is not easily transmitted. The only real risks for transmission sexually are through unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. If you consistently use latex condoms for those activities you will be well protected as far as HIV is concerned. It's as simple as that. Any other sexual acts are only theoretically risky. In the real world of HIV we know that infection comes about through unprotected intercourse.

Use condoms and you won't have to worry sexually about HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 03:51:51 AM »
You are worrying needlessly. None of the activities you have participated in put you at risk for HIV transmission. And yes, I got all the details about sore nipples and scratches and whatever. Zero for risk.

HJV is a fragile virus. It is not easily transmitted. The only real risks for transmission sexually are through unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. If you consistently use latex condoms for those activities you will be well protected as far as HIV is concerned. It's as simple as that. Any other sexual acts are only theoretically risky. In the real world of HIV we know that infection comes about through unprotected intercourse.

Use condoms and you won't have to worry sexually about HIV.
Thanks for replying, Andy! I do understand that the most common way for HIV transmission are through unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. However, many articles from reputable sources have also made claims with regards to "blood contact" and that there were actually reported cases to back this up though it is normally very rare. I have read about this from many places and there has been differing opinions which is getting me pretty confused.

Here's what I found...

San Francisco AIDS Foundation:
The concentration of HIV determines whether infection may happen. In blood, for example, the virus is very concentrated. A small amount of blood is enough to infect someone. A much larger amount of other body fluids is needed for HIV transmission.

Source: http://www.sfaf.org/aids101/transmission.html

Of course, there were also other sources which claim that unless a large amount was splashed onto a fresh open wound, transmission wouldn't take place. I really hope that you can enlighten me with regards to this.

Also, is it possible to explain to me why was it impossible for transmission to take place for the 3 exposures that I talked about? I feel that the only way to allay my fears (with the exception of doing a test) is to fully understand the medical facts and reasoning behind these reassurance that I get. I'm sorry if I'm being excessively demanding...

Some questions:
1) Why is it that during mutual masturbation, even if blood/pre-cum comes into contact with the urethra or a cut on the penis, there is no risk?

2) Why is there also no risk if my hand had a wound and it came into contact with the other person's pre-cum?

3) If there were wounds on both parties and there was intimate contact without intercourse (i.e. hugging), how much blood or under other what circumstances can transmission take place? Does it require both parties to be bleeding profusely or a little blood is all that's enough to infect another person?

4) If my HIV+ friend was bleeding in the mouth while sucking my newly wounded nipples, infectious blood would potentially have gotten into my bloodstream... Why wouldn't transmission take place in this case?

5) HIV does not survive well outside the host. Many sources have said that it can never survive for more than a few minutes. But during these few minutes, if the virus was transferred onto food from the bleeding ulcer/gum/cut of a HIV+ person's mouth and eaten by another person who was also having an ulcer at the same time, wouldn't the virus be transmitted to him?

6) Does the virus being in the sauce of food or say Ice Cream affect its ability to infect? If so, how long will it take before the virus will be rendered non infectious?

I'm concerned about intimate contact and food sharing mainly because my friend is HIV+ and I'm worried. But at the same time I do not want our friendship to be affected because of his condition.

I really hope that you and Ann would be able to answer my doubts and clear my worries once and for all. With the vast amount of information and differing opinions online, it is really difficult for me to put things into perspective.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:54:45 AM by worriedzac »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 04:24:35 AM »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 06:48:14 AM »
I'm sorry for my previous post. I do not question the fact that my exposures were no risk but just that I really would like to know the medical reasoning behind it... I really hope Andy would be able to help me with this.

Sorry once again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
Reread the transmission lesson again. Apparently you didn't learn anything the first time you read it.

HIV is not transmitted outside its host.

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 08:17:34 AM »
I couldn't find specific answer regarding my exposures...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »
worried,

Exposures? WHAT exposures?!?!? You haven't HAD any exposures!

Hiv is a very fragile virus. Once it's outside the body, small changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. Forget about whether it "dies" or not. Once it's damaged, it cannot infect.

Successful hiv transmission happens INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Use condoms for intercourse and you won't have to worry about hiv infection. Seriously.

I'm concerned about intimate contact and food sharing mainly because my friend is HIV+ and I'm worried. But at the same time I do not want our friendship to be affected because of his condition.

As long as the "intimate contact" isn't UNPROTECTED INTERCOURSE, you don't need to worry. Share all the food you like, eat off his fork, it doesn't matter. You'll never be infected through food. There are thousands of couples where one is positive and one is negative. They live together, share a bed, share food, eat off each other's plates, use the same fork to taste each other's meals in a restaurant, drink out of the same glass, share toilets and showers/bathtubs, and would you like to know how the negative partner STAYS negative?

THEY USE CONDOMS FOR ANAL OR VAGINAL INTERCOURSE! And that's the ONLY precaution they need. I was in such a relationship myself for eight years and he's still hiv negative.

Keep posting about these NO RISK scenarios and you WILL be timed out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
worried,

Exposures? WHAT exposures?!?!? You haven't HAD any exposures!

Hiv is a very fragile virus. Once it's outside the body, small changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. Forget about whether it "dies" or not. Once it's damaged, it cannot infect.

Successful hiv transmission happens INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Use condoms for intercourse and you won't have to worry about hiv infection. Seriously.

As long as the "intimate contact" isn't UNPROTECTED INTERCOURSE, you don't need to worry. Share all the food you like, eat off his fork, it doesn't matter. You'll never be infected through food. There are thousands of couples where one is positive and one is negative. They live together, share a bed, share food, eat off each other's plates, use the same fork to taste each other's meals in a restaurant, drink out of the same glass, share toilets and showers/bathtubs, and would you like to know how the negative partner STAYS negative?

THEY USE CONDOMS FOR ANAL OR VAGINAL INTERCOURSE! And that's the ONLY precaution they need. I was in such a relationship myself for eight years and he's still hiv negative.

Ann

Thanks for your reply, Ann! I know that the virus cannot be transmitted through food. Is it also true for the case where there are ulcers in both parties?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »

Ann

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »
Either or both having ulcers is totally irrelevant in terms of any risk related to foods or in terms of any risk whatsoever.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »
Either or both having ulcers is totally irrelevant in terms of any risk related to foods or in terms of any risk whatsoever.
There is something else I do not understand. What's the risk difference between sucking a wounded nipple and oral sex? I mean, both involves a closed environment... doesn't it?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »
I can't even understand that question.

You need to give this whole HIV issue a rest. Really. You are on the verge of getting a time out.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 08:54:37 PM »
Thank you everybody for replying. I'm pretty much convinced that risk is zero in my case. Please do not give me a time out. I'm truly sorry if I have been a nuisance.

I was reading the lesson and found the following be somewhat comforting:

Since the beginning of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, new or potentially unknown
routes of transmission have been thoroughly investigated by state and local
health departments, in collaboration with the U.S. Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC). To date, no additional routes of transmission
have been recorded, despite a national system designed to detect unusual
cases.

Based on the above, am I right to say that scientists and doctors have over 25 years of the epidemic intensively studied the "exposures" that I mentioned such as mutual masturbation, nipple sucking and food sharing etc. with possible associations with other factors such as infectious blood and wounds in these situations, but eventually conclude that they should not considered as mode of transmissions for HIV?

I am also curious why experts can be so sure that my situations were no risk... If it's because of such scientific researches that were conducted then that explains.

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »
Anybody?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »
MOVE ON.

Offline worriedzac

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
Okay thank you Andy, Ann and Rod for all the valuable information, time and patience. I know my risk is zero and a test is not recommended in my case but I guess I'll still go for a thorough check for HIV as well as other STDs in another two months time. It's a long wait but I hope your answers and replies will get me through this tough period.

God bless all of you and Happy New Year!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 09:22:44 PM »
Worried,

Regular and complete routine testing is recommended for any sexually active adult. However, as you have had not had an hiv risk, we are not here to hold your hand and continue to answer the same questions over and over while you wait to test.

As you didn't have a risk, you can test now for a conclusive result. It's not going to be a different result than the one you had previously.

If you need reassurance before you test, re-read your thread instead of posting. If you keep posting about these no risk incidents, you'll be timed out. Please consider yourself warned for the last time.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.