POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:28:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640643
  • Total Topics: 48662
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 166
Total: 172

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: My HIV saga!!  (Read 5359 times)

Offline dbernardo60

My HIV saga!!
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
Well here it is my grand master paper of what has consumed my life for the past ohh 5 months now...  (please read all of this)

Before I even continue I just want to say this, I know what the statistics are for almost everything when it comes to HIV (I've been doing research for 5 months straight) and the fact of the matter is I don't trust statistics, because there is always that one or few person(s). My main goal in all of this worrying and testing is to find out the truth... If I have HIV I could deal with it, especially with health care the way it is these days I could get on meds and could be monitored and hopefully live a long and happy life... what I don't know wan to have happen is to be told I don't have HIV because the chance is so low blah blah. because with me once i put this behind me, I'm gonna consider it done, never put my self @ risk again and move with my life and never test again... I would hate to drop dead in 10 years because I was told I don't know HIV was one of those rare cases. The main thing in my mind is being responsible for my actions and not infecting others...

Here is my risk:
I’m a 22-year-old male in good health, I don’t do drugs. I party a lot though and drink often on the weekends and smoke weed and chew tobacco.

Here is the encounter. I was in Mexico in a high travel tourist spot on August 1st. I had a sex with a female prostitute. I had unprotected Oral, and I'm not sure if the ANAL sex was protected or not I was too drunk. I realize most women including sex workers don’t have HIV but for practical purposes lets assume she does, especially in high tourist spots like cancun they definitely could... I had a doctor tell me as high as 10% (1 in 10)

Here is my testing schedule:
2 weeks @ Planned Parenthood I did rapid HIV 1 test (Unigold) & std’s. Everything came up negative.
4 weeks @ Planned Parenthood rapid HIV 1 test (Unigold) – Negative
6 weeks @ Planned Parenthood rapid HIV 1 test (Unigold) – Negative
8 weeks @ Planned Parenthood rapid HIV 1 test (Unigold) – Negative

10 weeks I said F*ck PPhood I don’t trust them. So I went to San Francisco City Clinic and I did there RNA test which they say looks for the HIV in the body as soon as 9-12days and they did and ELISA test and full STD test everything came up negative.

12 weeks @ Planned Parenthood rapid HIV 1 test (Unigold) – Negative
15 weeks I decided I wanted to go through my own Doctor office (nice/expensive place) and they did an ELISA HIV test and full STD test including herpes everything came up NEGATIVE Except the oral herpes (not the genital herpes) but I already knew that as I get could sores a couple times a year.

17 weeks (4.2 months) - so then I was convinced that I had HIV 2 since none of these test covered that so I did the ORAQUICK test which covers HIV 1&2 and that came up negative.

18.4 weeks --- Planned parenthood rapid HIV negative...

I'm going to go today at nearly 5 months and do one more RNA and ELISA test...

Symptoms – I really have had only a few symptoms, nothing on my penis, no ARS. Just a bit of diarrhea and a common cold. I also got a sinus infection a few weeks ago and a bad cough...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my questions:

1)
I read this:
Quote from: RapidRod on December 31, 2006, 03:41:01 am
411, it is very, very rare for someone to test out further than the 3 months, with the testing we have today.

so rapid dog... when you say it very rare for some one to test further out then 3 months? Ur saying then there is a slight possibility that a non immune-suppressed person could take longer than 3 months to test???

2)I want to know is there any possible way that I have HIV??

3)I know you say almost every one who has HIV will test is 3 months, but I have read and heard of stories of people taking longer to test positive and they were perfectly healthy individuals...

4) Did I meet all the window periods for the STD’s am I in the clear for that?

5)Is there any way in theory that the RNA test could not have seen the HIV in my body and that the antibodies just haven’t developed enough yet? Do you think there is some way the SF city clinic could mess up during the testing process or maybe missed some thing?

6) How can you guys be so sure about 13 weeks??? I cant believe that there is just this magic time line @ 13 weeks (especially considering time is relevant, but I wont get into that) I fail to believe that there is some one out there who is healthy that couldnt take longer than 13 weeks to test positive...

7) Also I read this: A *confirmed* case where a women didn't test positive until 1 year after being exposed to HIV and HEP C @ the same time (http://www.aids.org/factSheets/102-HIV-Testing.html) under when I should get tested section. I'm sure you have heard of this, is there a reason she took so long to test positive? Was this do to PEP

I really like this forum, and I know i will have more questions but I will continue to keep them in this thread so you guys know and where I am coming from thanks!! :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: My HIV saga!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
Let's keep this real simple. You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. There was no need to test beyond 13 weeks.

The only things that would you at risk sexually for HIV are either unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse. For everything else the risk is strictly theoretical. Under scientific scrutiny reports of infection through other sexual acts never hold up.

Like I said, keep it simple. I am not going to get into discussing, refutting or otherwise dealing with all of that other stuff you seem to want to complicate the issue with.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »
Ok I'm going to believe you. I just got back from the San Francisco City clinic they are doing one more RNA test and ELISA, are you saying that because I have not had any drugs or sex since that incident in cancun that you are 100% sure these test will come back negative?? What would you say if they did come back positive or is that impossible out side of false postives??? I get my results back on the 31st right before new year I'm hoping that I will get a negative result and start the new year on high note and put the worst year of my life behind me!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »
That you have put yourself at risk within the last negative test that was conclusive.

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »
what do you mean??? I haven't had sex or done anything risky in about 5 months now... i dont get what your saying i put my self at risk by taking my test today!?!?!?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:55:55 PM »
You asked what if you tested positive after a conclusive negative test and the only way that could happen is that you had another risk that you didn't mention.  You are conclusively NEGATIVE and it doesn't matter how many tests you take past 3 months.

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »
Oh I see... Well I haven't, well I thought I did... Until every one told me I was crazy and that it wasn't a risk... So I guess I can expect a negative result in 2 weeks huh, of course out side of a false-postive....

Hey I'm just curious what u meant by this is saw u post it in another forum:

Quote from: RapidRod on December 31, 2006, 03:41:01 am
411, it is very, very rare for someone to test out further than the 3 months, with the testing we have today.

so rapidRod... when you say it very rare for some one to test further out then 3 months? Ur saying then there is a slight possibility that a non immune-suppressed person could take longer than 3 months to test???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:06:46 PM »
You don't belong in the 3%. You are not taking chemo, you are not taking anti rejection drugs for a transplant and you are not a chronic IV drug abuser and it rare for even them to take longer than three months to obtain a conclusive test result. You are conclusively negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
Hey Bernardo, you seriously need to chill out. No kidding. As long as you have reported everything to us accurately about your activities, your collecting another negative test result is a slam dunk.

While you're waiting, how about skipping anymore of this nervous-making drama and focus on getting productively busy with other things. I don't see any reason to expect anything other than a negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »
I have been taking your advice and staying off the internet.... but one question keeps popping up in my head... and it's how can we be so sure about these window periods? I think it's common knowledge that a lot of people lie and dont tell the truth about there sexual history... Knowing that people could be turning up positive only a year later but then blame and some new low risk situation! Im sure this happens so how can we be so sure about window periods???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 05:07:37 PM »
Apx. 30 years of scientific data.

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »
Thanks rapid!! So you guys know for sure that these window periods are accurate?? Like there is no way it can very from human to human?? i just have issues excepting these arbitrary magical time periods where every one will test positive by... But you guys are the experts not me!

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
And this message is to Andy Velez... So I have been staying off the internet and had a pretty great weekend. But now today my anxiety is back... It's like I finally have my life together, I have a new girlfriend who gets back from vacation the day after i get my results, and I'm moving into a new place and just want to move on with my life... But I just have this fear that for some reason I'm gonna get those test back positive.. It's like every time I step forward in life something always pulls me back.. I know this is anxiety speaking but still anything is possible :/

But yes when it comes down to the facts I have reported everything accurately and all the test and every thing, this is not ever something I wouldn't accurately report or else I would only be fooling myself not you guys...
I did think I had one other risk since then but I know this is just me being scared and crazy, you can read about it here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/705901
(i wrote in that article the prostitute was in SF I meant cancun, mexico)

So yes if I did only have on real risk back about 5 months ago then I shouldnt worry right?? Im scared i might get a false positive because I hear that happens with RNA PCR testing even though my doctors said thats not true from what they have seen...

i dunno I just hope my test come back negative so i can be happy again :(.... :)

i get my test results back on the 31st hopefully the latest im gonna call earlier though sometimes the results come back sooner they said...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:28:25 PM by dbernardo60 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
Fortunately for you feelings aren't facts. And all of this anxious drama you're going through doesn't in anyway change my expectation that you will test negative.

Now you need to get busy with other things in your life. It'll make the waiting time pass way easier, really.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
thanks again andy!

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
sorry andy, one last thing... there is almost a part of me that doesn't even want to get the test results.. I just want to move on with my life right now!! do you think that's smart??? Or would the extra reassurance of a negative test be good?? gosh i dont know what to do...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 05:06:21 PM »
 You don't need further testing and you've been told that in two forum and by a doctor. If you can't believe your negative test results then I suggest you seek professional mental help in finding out WHY.

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
RapidRod your right!! which is why a part of me doesn't want to even go pick up last test results, because if i don't even have HIV then if anything I'm at risk for a false-positive right??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
Quit all this frabber jabber. You're nutz over this issue. So no, I absolutely think you should pick up your inevitable negative result, and thusly hopefully remove any lingering doubts so you can get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
alright deal... i will not come back here until i get my negative results on or before the 31st and you guys can all say i told u so and ill move on  ;D

Offline dbernardo60

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 12:09:55 PM »
Hey so i held me end of the deal up!

so my results wern't supposed to be ready yet but i called any way this morning and surprisingly the SF city clinic manager gave me my results over the phone. And they were negative both ELISA AND RNA... I wasn't sure if they could that so i called again to double check and he said yes he's looking at the screen and they were negative...  I know this is anxiety speaking but they wouldn't just tell me that right lol??

Well i know they wouldn't so i guess this is great news huh??? So this 100% for sure huh? There is no way I got HIV from that women right?? the onyl other risk i could imagine is if one of the many doctors office's i went to used a dirty a need or lancet to take my blood right ?? but that doesn't happen does it?? Thats just anxiety again i know but if u could just answer them so i can see it and truly move on from this im sooo happy!!!

Last questions and ill completely hopefully move on!!! So i think it would be physically impossible for some one to have gotten HIV 5 months ago and 5 months after that test negative on the RNA and ELISA correct??? like this would be impossible to have HIV correct and have nothing come up??? thanks for allt he support guys through some of my darkest hours!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 12:28:59 PM »
db,

You were conclusively hiv negative when you first started posting on this forum. Why on earth should your result change now?

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to before posting, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.