HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Already Hep C Positive and Nervous

(1/1)

lovemusic:
Okay. I kind of need to get this out. I hope this is the appropriate venue. I'm female. I was raped about two years ago...I contracted hep C either form this or from a medical procedure. I have had many sypmtoms (which is odd bc I'm 23)..and most likely have not been infected that long. However...i had an HIV test a year ago...it was negative...but becuase I've been getting sick and having symptoms (vasculitis, sores, general pain)...the clinic I frequent suggested I get myself re-tested...I'm wondering if someone can give me info on how long the virus can stay undetected for. I get my reslults friday...I'm very nervous...I'm prepared to deal whatevr the consequences...but I just need some reassurance. Thanks. You folks are all so brave. I also really need to look inot better medical care..my clinic blows and I have no insurance...I was denied medicaid and to purchase insurance is to be denied care due to "pre exisitng condition" nonsense.  I am frustrated and sick. Looking for some wise words.

RapidRod:
If you have not had any unprotected sex since the rape then your HIV a year after was conclusive. You're negative.

Ann:
LM,

As Rodney says, unless you've had unprotected intercourse with a person of unknown hiv status since your last test (or within the three months before your last test) then you ARE hiv negative.

I've had hep C and it can and will cause you all sorts of physical problems. Some people can remain asymptomatic for years and years, but others will experience problems sooner. Unfortunately, you may be one of the people who has problems sooner. The best advice I can give you is to avoid alcohol and eat the best diet you can afford. Drinking alcohol is THE worst thing you can do when hep C positive.

There are many good websites out there that deal with hep C - here's one to get you started:

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/

It deals with both hiv and hepatitis, but the individual section on hep C is one of the best out there.

Good luck.

Ann

lovemusic:
Thanks so much. That website was great. May I ask if you're being treated...and if so how is it for you? I have heard so many mixed reactions to tx.

Ann:
LM,

I was treated in 2002/03 and I have a sustained response. That means after all these years, I'm considered cured, although I'll always test positive on the antibody test. I test undetectable on a viral load.

It wasn't easy - in fact it was one of the worst years of my life. The thing that kept me going was that I knew it was only for a year and I had a good chance of beating it.

Please do investigate getting better health care. If your health is badly affected, you might be able to go on disability.

Good luck.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version