POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643363
  • Total Topics: 48954
  • Online Today: 171
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice / Help please ... (Malysia , Meds needed )  (Read 2582 times)

Offline asean

Advice / Help please ... (Malysia , Meds needed )
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »
Hi all , getting myself into a bit of a state , I am getting treatment in Thailand , (meds) been trying to get there since last week ,but due to all the protests I am obviously having problems.

I have medication for about ten days, and am now in Malaysia , can anyone suggest anywhere to obtain meds in Malaysia , or how to get them from Thailand .

Have been trying to contact my Dr , but she is away for the next fortnight ,

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:53:54 AM by asean »

Offline Steinway

Re: Advice / Help please
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »
Hello, when I first was diagnosed as being positive I was first in the Dominican Republic and then in San Juan.  I also felt like I was going crazy and a bit frantic.  No one spoke English.  It was horrible.  I needed to have more tests done, etc., plus my mind was just this way, that way,  all over the map.  I was a mess and being in a strange land didn't help.  I was able to find a couple of clinics for aids and hiv+ people online.  I suggest that you look online until you are blue in the face.  If you find yourself stuck, this may sound strange, but get yourself to a gay bar, or a gay sauna, they are there in Malaysia, again you'll have to do some internet hunting to find them.  those places usually have magazines with a listing of gay friendly clinics etc.  That's the best that I can offer offhand.  If I knew which larger city in Malaysia you are near I would be able to look some things up for you.  So if you get this, please tell me where you are and I'll see if I can help you.
   I looked up Indonesia just now and found some HIV sites for this country.  It's a little confusing but maybe you can sort something out from it.  If you are near one of these places, go as soon as you can.   Find a way to communicate to them that you need meds.  I'm sure they will help you.  It has been my experience that people usually want to help.  The best of luck to you. 

Indonesia
AIDS in the news -- INDONESIA

Gaya Dewata, Jln Belimbing Gg Y No. 4, Denpasar, Bali 80231 (62-361) 222620 (9:30 am to 3:30pm WITA) Coordinates HIV/AIDS-related activities.

Hotline AIDS Mitra Indonesia, Jln Kebon Kacang IX No. 78, Jakarta Pusat 10240 Ph./FAX (62-21) 392-1608,

Hotline: (62-21) 310-0855 (3pm - 8pm WIB)

Hotline AIDS 'Triple M,' PKBI, Jln Landak Baru 55, Ujungpandang, Sul-Sel 90135 (62-411) 871051 (10am to 4pm WITA)

IGAMA (Ikatan Gaya Arema Malang)

Jln Hamid Rusdi 67, Malang, (62-341) 335-770, email. An MSM (men who have sex with men) organization working for HIV/AIDS preventation in Malang Raya.

Indonesia AIDS Resource Center, Pact Indonesia Office, Jalan Danau Jempang Blok B3/34A, Jakarta 10210. Tel (62) 21 571-9363 Fax (62) 21 573-8425 email : pactia@rad.net.id In operation since 1993. The resource center houses thousands of resources including videotapes, textbooks, brochures.

Lentera, PKBI, Jln Tentara Rakyat Mataram Gg Kapas Badran, Yogyakarta 55231 (62-274) 513595, FAX 513566, E-mail: lentera@ins.healthnet.org

Spiritia Foundation, Jln Johar Baru Utara V No. 17, Johar Baru, Jakarta, (62-21) 422-5163/8, FAX 4287-5168, Email. Secretariat of the peer support network for Indonesian PLHAs, their families and friends. Spiritia's main objective is the empowerment of PLHAs to play a real role in the response to AIDS in Indonesia, in accordance with the principle of greater involvement of PLHAs (GIPA).

Yayasan Abdi Asih, Jln Dukuh Kupang Timur X/11, Surabaya, Ja-Tim 60256 (62-31) 580355
Yayasan AIDS Indonesia working together with [the phone company] Telkom West Jakarta has opened a hotline, (62 21) 530-3000, 10 am-3 pm (West Indonesian time).

Yayasan Citra Usadha Indonesia, E-mail: ycui@denpasar.wasantara.net.id

Yayasan Gaya Celebes, PO Box 1309, Ujungpandang, Sul-Sel 90013 (62-411) 510943

Yayasan Hatihati, Bali (programs for IDU/harm reduction).

E-mail: hatihati@denpasar.wasantara.net.id

Yayasan Kemanusiaan, c/o Jln Mulyosari Timur 46, Surabaya, Ja-Tim 60112 (62-31) 593-4924, 594-1075, FAX 593-9070 (attn: Dede Oetomo), E-mail: doetomo@indo.net.id

Yayasan Pelangi Kasih Nusantara, Jln Bangau III F9/3, Jatibening Bekasi, Jakarta, (62-21) 848-0017. An NGO established in 1999 to promote the equality of sexual rights based on the pluralism of sexual orientation and to improve sexual health of men. 12 staff and 25 volunteers run activities for 95 MSM massage parlors in Jakarta with 967 masseurs and almost 10,000 hidden MSM surround Jakarta. Recent activies: Behavioral Change Intervention through Outreach among male sex workers; STI services for MSM; Gay Conseling; and Edutainment.
Yayasan PRIAngan, P.O. Box 1819, Bandung, Ja-Bar 40018 (62-22) 250-4325

Yayasan Utama, Jln Diponegoro 8, Pekanbaru, Riau 28111 Ph./FAX (62-76) 37645

These are obviously mostly phone numbers, a few addresses, and several email addresses.  I would start with the emails and then make a bunch of calls, unless you can figure out which one is nearest to you.  Please let me know how things turn out, and no matter what, do not stress out about this.  It will all work out,  All my best to you, Steinway
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 01:37:09 AM by Steinway »
It is with passion, courage of conviction, and strong sense of self that we take our next steps into the world. Remembering that first impressions are not always correct. You must always have faith in people, and most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.
~E. Woods

Offline asean

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:55:46 AM »
hi Steinway , thanks for taking the trouble to reply , appreciate it .

I am in Kuala Lumpur at present , I have looked at trying to get a train , takes two days to get to BKK ! , and most are sold out for the next few days ,

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:09:19 AM »
hi asean
if you in/near KL, try contacting the PT Foundation - they should be able to advise you on your options. I'd guess there are others in similar situation at the moment.

if you need a hospital, i think the University of Malaya medical centre has quite a large hiv unit - Lembah Pantai, 59100 Kuala Lumpur. phone - 603 79492388

take care - i hoep you can return home safely as soon as possible

kate

Offline Steinway

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »
I found a hospital in Kuala Lumpur that is related to an Aids/HIV site and they listed their phone number.

Hospital Kuala Lumpur

(03) 2692 1044 ext 5228/5238

Mon - Fri 9.00 am - 4.00 pm

Hopefully you'll be able to find this place, again good luck to you, Steinway
It is with passion, courage of conviction, and strong sense of self that we take our next steps into the world. Remembering that first impressions are not always correct. You must always have faith in people, and most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.
~E. Woods

Offline asean

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »
Thanks again all , this really is a great site to get help and reassurance .

Quick update just in case any one else needs the same information at any time .

It appears there is a limited availability of places to prescribe meds , after checking with hospitals face to face , I was sent to a a hospital called " SUNGI BULOH " This is about 25 mins out of central KL.

There I registered and met a Dr , all very efficient and helpfull, but they do not issue my meds , I am on tenofvir , stocrin , lamivudine. they only use stocrin and something called combivir ,

{If any one has any advice on this it would be most welcome }

A little irony crept in thought the weekend , as often does with these things , it is HIV awareness day here in Malaysia , and I sent off about a dozen messages asking for help /advice /suggestions , up to now only one reply so not sure what that implies but thought it may be a little wry '~'

The hospital does not issue the meds , you have to go to a pharmacy at "hospital KL "

Hope this is of use to any one in similar circumstances.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:10:49 AM by asean »

Offline joemutt

Re: Advice / Help please ... (Malysia , Meds needed )
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
combivir = zidovudine + lamivudine, AZT + 3TC.

AZT is generally less prescribed now (in the West)
but ok, if that's what they got.
Thailand: we start to get more flights but the back log is 250 000 stranded passengers
it will take a while to get them out.

Good luck there in KL.

Offline asean

Re: Advice / Help please ... (Malaysia , Meds needed )
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 05:03:41 AM »
hi Joemutt , thanks for that , Last ime I saw my Dr , she was saying something about switching to a new 2 tablet regime , I was hoping that this may have been it ,
but somehow I suspect it would have been a newer version .

Do you, or does anyone  else know anything about what it may have been .

Offline Steinway

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »
My guess on the two pill regime is probably something like Sustiva and Truvada.  That seems to be the one most offer now a days, eventually it might even be a one pill deal like Atripla.  So did you get your meds at the hospital?   It was Aids awareness day here on Dec. 1st.  I wish I could have been more help to you.  please let me know you are okay,  Steinway
~E. Woods

Offline asean

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 02:24:41 AM »
Hi Steinway , thanks for the support , much appreciated.

I got some meds from a local hospital , after registering etc.but they were the combivir , and the Stocrin.

As I really don't want to change my regime without speaking to my Dr first , I am going back to Thailand over the weekend and will get my original ones there I hope.

Thanks agai everyone.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 02:38:34 AM »
Nothing to add Asean, just wishing you the best.

I did know a few friends who were getting treated in Thailand for one reason or another. Let's hope that they can ride through these political chaos, but it seems to me that the situation will still be tricky comes January. Maybe there are things you can do to make sure you get enough supplies next time?

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.