POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 11:19:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620617
  • Total Topics: 46759
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 192
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trying to keep busy  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Texan38

Trying to keep busy
« on: November 28, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
I will be honest and say that the holidays always bring out the blues in me so I've been trying to keep busy.  This past week I took my mom to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Wonderful concert! Laser lights, strobe lights, fire, snow, great classical music done with a rock twist - I so recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen them in concert.  Next, I bought some tickets to go to a Christmas concert. A smooth jazz Christmas by Dave Koz and Friends on December 11.  I like jazz and I've seen him in concert twice and fell in love with him and his music! He's a good looking man but I've never been to any of his Christmas concerts before but I'm a little hesitant about it. Christmas songs, for some reason, get me down but I'm hoping this will be a different experience. Since it's jazz and seeing a good looking man blowing into his saxophone, mmmm....just might change my feelings about Christmas songs!
Well, I'll be looking for other things to attend!

Thanks for reading my ramble.... :-*
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline weasel

Re: Trying to keep busy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »
Hey Tex  :) ,
                    This is a very sentimental time of the year for me also .

I'm writing out  my Christmas cards , later I will put up

our plastic tree 7 and a half foot tall  :o

I need to put up outdoor lights !

I love Christmas songs I sing along and cry my eye balls out .

Bob thinks I am nuts , oh well ...............................

Merry Christmas ! sounds like you will be having a great time !

Karl  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »
The holiday season doesn't depress me, but I do find the entire affair annoying at best.  Mostly the gift mayhem -- most of it is a waste.  I enjoy the food though, and contributing to the cooking.  Oh, I could care less about decorations and put ZERO up in my apartment, though back in Brooklyn my roommate was obsessive with it all and we'd buy a 15 ft tree, have it delivered ($$$) and spend an entire night decorating in a ritual manner along with pizza from my favorite place.  I only did it though to indulge my roommate.

Christmas music is tired.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
Oh my  :o ,
                 you find Christmas music  tired ?

I must decorate , the  "little ones " would wonder what was up .

And besides I want Santa to find my home .

I do wait up to see him coming . Then run and hide .

I do NOT buy for old people , but Santa Claus does buy for the little ones .

I do buy Bob something , he is a hard one , never a good clue  ::)

Bob knows what I want next Christmas the day after this one.

love to all  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:40:30 PM »
This wasn't a Holiday show but I got to see Joe Jackson and his Jumpin Jive Band once.  He had two sax players, one was very short, the other was very tall.  The short one opened up his legs, the tall one bend down, picked him up on his shoulders and they had a solo that redefines pre- marital sax  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Seadickrun

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 04:09:38 AM »
I start getting depressed in late August of every year so this year I got a jump start on the holiday blues and found a therapist and started taking anti-depressants again:) 

I spend the holidays alone so it gets pretty boring but Turkey day is over and I only have to endure X-mas and New Years before things go back to "normal". 

Once you get off of the Christmas merry-go-round, its strange watching what drives everyone around you insane for six weeks.  I can't imagine what my country would be like if everyone put the same energy into "peace on earth, good will towards men", as they do standing in lines in malls. 

I should look for a Victorian topcoat and hat and run around town playing Ebenezer Scrooge:) 

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »
i work for Disney and it has been Christmas here since the day after Halloween - if you want to get in the spirit visit Disney, being around so many happy guests it gets infectious and you cannot help but get into the spirit of the season ♪

Have a Magical Day!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Buzz ♥

Offline Texan38

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »
Well, in spirit of keeping busy...I took out all the decorations this past weekend and went crazy! The tree I have is one of those pre-lighted trees - one of those trees made up of wire with lights already wrapped around each wire branch and then I took out all the ornaments I had bought from last year's specials. GEEZ, I had four boxes of Martha Stewart glitter ornaments, eight boxes of different colored glitter ornaments in shape of light bulbs and a bag full of plastic poinsettias covered in red and gold glitter.
When I finished hanging everything....GOOD LORD! It's the most glittery, gayest tree I've ever seen!
I LOVE IT!!  :D
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Diagnosed + 1989
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:49:55 PM »
When my daughter was little, and then again when she and my granddaughter lived with me, I used to put up all kinds of decorations.  Now, just a bit.

This is going to be a strange holiday, the first with neither of my parents. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:00:24 PM »
I'm not very keen on Christmas.  As a gay man, it's a bit like being forced to attend the birthday party of the kid who bullies you all year.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 08:40:59 AM »
They are taping the Walt Disney World Christmas Parade today - i got to meet kelli rippa and mylie - boo ya - lol
Buzz ♥

Offline Texan38

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »
Wow, you're going to have such a great time! ENJOY!
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 09:17:18 AM »
Dont forget to watch the parade on Christmas day
Buzz ♥

Offline aztecan

• 28 years positive, 56 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »
I am not too keen on Xmas, but I do love to decorate.  ;D

So, in that spirit, I bought a real tree again this year. The Lion's Club always sells them. For $15 I have the delicious scent of pine in the house whenever I come home.

I decorated it, put enough lights on it to blind a person and will carry on from there.

I have lights up around the porch, and, if I can get them all to work, I will put the lights up under the eaves of the house again this year, and on the piŮon in the front yard.

This year I think I will try to decorate my Colorado blue spruce. It is only about 25 feet tall and, if I'm careful, I can get lights all the way to the top. I think I can anyway.

If you hear a loud crash, it will be me.  ::)

Just think, a few more weeks, and we can start working in the yard again, starting with pruning the fruit trees.

Ah, the cycle of life.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »
down here in Florida people start decorating early for some reason - i had my tree up and house lights up the first week of novemeber - get it over with - as the holidays seem to fly by faster and faster each year - the one thing i dislike is taking everything down - maybe i will hire somebody to do that this year ;)
Buzz ♥

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »
As basically a single man with no children (that happens when you're gay in a world of heteros LOL), who left his Baptist upbringing a long time ago, I believe that Christmas is what you make of it.

Normally starting around Thanksgiving, I decorate the house some - a decorated tree and some festive outdoor lighting - and then enjoy the whole season with friends, as we brave the cold and snow to visit one another, frequently baking and/or eating warm dinners and desserts (and don't forget the Christmas Cookies!). Throw in some booze for New Years Eve and what more could anyone ask Christmas and the holidays to be.  ;D

My Christmases have never been about the shopping, the presents, or any religion; but have been about my friends, my loves, and my family sharing time, love, and happiness together.

Fourteen years ago, when my first long-term partner (Randy) passed away, I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy the season enough to decorate any. I wasn't even going to put up a tree until a friend brought a freshly-cut tree to my house. I threw on a strand of white lights, and called Christmas "done" that year. Now all these years later, I won't be putting up a tree or decorating again, as this is my "first" Christmas alone since my second long-term partner (Jim) passed away earlier this year.  :'(

if you want to get in the spirit visit Disney, being around so many happy guests it gets infectious and you cannot help but get into the spirit of the season ?
Though I'm living through my second "year without a Christmas", I didn't want to leave my post on such a sad note because the mention of Disney at Christmas actually brought up a very good memory for me. Since I have lost both of my guys (with so many coincidences in their situations), it seems appropriate for one of my favorite memories of Randy be of comfort to me during my first holidays without Jim.

I have to say that the best Christmas present I ever got was from Randy's father in 1993. Randy spent the first nine days of that Dec. in the hospital getting blood transfusions for AZT-induced anemia and treatment for severe thrush. Knowing that his son's days were limited, his father paid for the two of us to go to Florida for 7 days, with 4 days visiting Disney.

We went the week before Christmas (barely a week after Randy was released from the hospital!) and it was AMAZING! ;D ;D Everything possible was decorated and it was like Christmas everyday! I know it's a cliche, but it really was "magical".  :D We were there during the taping of the parade that year, and I think it was Vanessa Williams, Miss USA that we saw. LOL With the temps in the mid 70s (and since I had lived in NC and FL before), it was better than any Christmas back home in Ohio with the clouds and snow and 10 degree weather!!!  ;D

My only gripe was that none of the pictures we took could be developed. I think the airport xrays zapped our film! (it was 93 and digital cameras were still yrs away :P) So I don't have any pictures from our trip except this novelty pix we had done in the "honey I shrunk the kids" area. (That's me on the left and Randy on the right)  The picture I really, really wanted though was the one we had a passer-by take of us and Tigger! Dang! But I still have my memories of that trip (thank god, brain fog, old age, or dementia hasn't taken them from me LOL) and they are some really good memories. :D

best wishes for a good Christmas to everyone! :-*
mikie

ps for anyone that's read my story about Jim's passing and the coincidences with Randy's passing (eg both born in July, both died in May, both lived in a new housing situation for 18 months before passing away, both illnesses beginning with a month-long fever, both were home with Hospice care for only 9 days before passing, etc), here's another oddity. This year I'm flying home to visit family on Dec 18th. That date would have not only been the day of Jim and mine's anniversary but it's also the very date this Disney picture was taken 14 yrs. ago. :o

[attachment deleted by admin]
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more.

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 12:09:34 PM »
Thats an amazing picture both of you look great - i am glad you have those memories - you have been thru a hell of a lot and thank you for sharing your special memories with us - Have a Merry Christmas 
Buzz ♥

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.