POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 02:34:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23488
  • Latest: shashmi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 638970
  • Total Topics: 48507
  • Online Today: 210
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Very sad story  (Read 1367 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
Very sad story
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »
A teenager in Florida live-streamed his suicide while people egged him on. He had a history of bipolar disorder and depression. I find the whole thing just sad and sickening. What is it about the anonymity of the internet that makes some people so mean?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/MindMoodNews/story?id=6306126&page=1

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Very sad story
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:49:35 PM »
Good question. I read about that this morning, and just shook my head.

Does the anonymity of the internet really bring that out in people? And if so, is THAT our collective "real" self?

I know people type things they would never dream of saying to a person's face.

Sometimes I wonder how many, or rather how few, true humans walk among us.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:36:46 PM »

While I do find it very disturbing I am not surprised in the least bit.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:17:10 PM »
It deeply saddens me to read how someones desperate cry for help was being ridiculed and egged on by people watching a disheartening live feed.
Absolutely heartbreaking.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline weasel

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »
hey gymrat ,

What an awful thing for any one to do !

this makes me very very sad .

How often have any one of us on AIDS.COM  asked for help ?

Needed advice ?  a cyber hand to hold on to ?

And  WE GET A HUGE VOLUME OF SUPPORT !

I am horified by what i see ,or rather  pass up and do NOT see on U-tube .

GOD BLESS this person .

with love to all ,
                                                                               karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:30:05 PM »
I read about this earlier.  It's just so horrifying and disturbing, I really don't have many words.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »
You know, the more I think about it, the more disgusted I get with all those involved. My opinion of depression is compassionate, because we never, ever know what dark depths exist in someones mind.

But to subject the world, via webcam, to your suicide (and despite common perception, locating a person is not exactly effortless, convincing local authorities to step in is even more difficult) is such a selfish act.

There actually WERE, at the end, people who believed the person to be introuble, and several people took the time and effort to track him down, call the police (they were not initially believed) and convince them that they were legit, that the situation was dire, and that help was needed. By that time, of course, it was too late.

My own opinion? If someone threatens suicide online, go directly into defcon 1. Band together. Call the police. Find this person and get an intervention underway. At the very least, the authorities in the US can have them confined for a 72 hour psychiatric hold.

Instead of being a total douche by embracing the damned irony and cynical sarcastic indifference that our society seems to have adopted, my take on the matter is to go into the other direction. Take threats seriously. The worst you will get is a really pissed off person who might think twice before engaging in such a dramatic gesture. And, as a byproduct, the person might actually get the attention of the sort that they NEED and can USE. namely, mental health professionals.

A few days ago, my Mom went AWOL. We usually touch base every other day on the phone. She has this bad habit of not calling others, and waiting for others to call her. Also a bad habit of not answering her cell phone. So when I got a consistent busy signal on her phone for her for 48 hours, and I knew she had made no plans to leave the house, I did not think twice before calling the local police and having an officer knock on her door to make certain she was all right. She was, only she had accidentally taken a phone off of the hook and the line had gone dead.

She is 82, has a pacemaker, and is experiencing a little brain fog now and again. I am often the only tie she has to the outside world. I made no apologies for my actions. And if I had a friend or saw a stranger who threatened suicide, I would not hesitate before getting people involved who could do something. Even if it embarrassed them. Even if I made an enemy.

I wish more people thought less about being cool and hip, and thought more about taking just a smidgen of responsibility for the people they saw around them, people who sometimes scream for help.

Such a loss of humanity, on all sides. Such needless loss.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »

What is equally disturbing to me is the fact like the other case with the teenager who was egged on by the neighbor is the family members are so oblivious to what is going on under their roofs with their children.
Quote of the father:
""I am upset that Justin.tv streamed this live," said Biggs. "I have not seen it, and I do not intend to look at it.

"There seems to be a lack of control as to what people put out on the Internet," he said. "There's a lot of garbage out there that should not be, and unfortunately, this was allowed to happen."

It seems instead of addressing the problem,both families want to blame the internet.
J
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:25:14 AM »
This reminds me of two similar stories in the UK.  One a guy committed suicide by hanging himself while it was being streamed in a video/chat room.  The other (offline) was of a boy who jumped off a building after being taunted to do so by some members of crowd gathered to watch.

I don't the behavior behnd this is new.  People have always acted inappropriately when protected by anonymity (whether online or being part of a large crowd).  I'm glad some people did try to help him.  Apparently one guy, who did a lot to try and locate the guy and alert the authorities, lives in India.

I'm sad that his mental health issues forced him down this path. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.