Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Anybody Taking Astragalus?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Merlin:
In traditional Chinese medicine, astragalus is usually made into a decoction - the roots are boiled in water then removed. It's often combined with other herbs, such as ginseng. It's a common medicinal root used in Asian cooking to boost energy and life force. Chicken or pork are usually used to brew for a few hours under steam cooking. The tonic is then taken to revitalise a sick or recovering body.

Asian names: Astragalus membranaceous, Huang Qi, Bei Qi.
Although it is so much easier to just down a few tabs of the root in capsule form, one can also consume the benefits through cooking with it. You can easily purchase these slices of root inexpensively from any TCM shops in your local Chinatown areas, under those names above.

FYI, Astragalus may interfere with the effectiveness of corticosteroid medications, such as:

Nasacort (triamcinolone)
Beconase, Vancenase (beclomethasone)
Decadron (dexamethasone)
Deltasone (prednisone)
hydrocortisone
Medrol (methylprednisolone)
prednisolone

Astragalus may decrease the effectiveness of drugs that suppress the immune system, such as Imuran (azathioprine), CellCept, cyclosporine, Prograf, Rapamune and Zenapak.

Theoretically, astragalus can increase the effectiveness of antiviral medications such as acyclovir and amantadine.

For those not familiar, these are pictures of how the root will look like in TCM stores;

[attachment deleted by admin]

John2038:
I'm taking Solgar Astragalus root extract, 6 caps a day.

Each cap contains:

Raw Astragalus root powder 250 mg
Standardised Astragalus root powder extract 225 mg

Will see if any change will occurs in my next lab, but I guess it will be difficult to say.

tash08:
My question is: are any of you guys taking Astragalus with HAART?

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: tash08 on November 30, 2008, 08:13:22 PM ---My question is: are any of you guys taking Astragalus with HAART?

--- End quote ---

I am. I've been taking one capsule a day, since the 15th of November. Two weeks now. Everything seems to be normal, no issues.

I take Viramune, Viread and Epzicom.

Ray

fearless:

--- Quote from: tash08 on November 30, 2008, 08:13:22 PM ---My question is: are any of you guys taking Astragalus with HAART?

--- End quote ---

Yes. Prezista/Norvir and Truvada.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version