POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 12:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650429
  • Total Topics: 49658
  • Online Today: 143
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HDL & LDL lipid levels???? I'm confused!!  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Delby

HDL & LDL lipid levels???? I'm confused!!
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:22:24 AM »
Hi All,

I have just got back some blood work and my LDL is 2.8 and combined cholesteral (sorry if this is the incorrect terminology) is 4.9. I have been told the upper limit for LDL is 2.0 and for combined its 4.0.

The nurse said she's not overly worried and they'll see me in 3 months. Should i be concerned? I have read on the internet that anything above 2.0 LDL puts you in the high risk category.

I keep fit, i eat really well, i dont smoke and rarely drink. Are these numbers really bad?

Delby ???

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
Re: HDL & LDL lipid levels???? I'm confused!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
Hey Delby,

You must be in Europe or Oz (Australia). The numbers you listed don't mean anything to me, only because I am in the States and we use a different system.

I understand your chagrin though. I have been battling the lipids myself.

All I can recommend is you investigate a Mediterreanean diet, which seems to be the recommendation from everyone these days.

I'm sure someone from across the pond, maybe Ann?, will chime in to let you know what those numbers mean.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Delby

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »
Sorry i should mention its measured in mmol/l

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »
Slightly elevated lipid panel is not unusual when on HAART.  Wildly elevated would cause your doctors to prescribe something, but that's not your situation if the nurse said not to worry.  What did you doctor say, or did it concern him so little he didn't even bring it up.

My levels have been elevated for a long time, but it's only a tad over the acceptable level that it's not a huge concern.  I've been taking omega-3 fish oil for the past few years and that's kept it under control, and slightly decreased the numbers.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Delby

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 12:54:38 PM »
well i didnt get to speak to the dr as my results didnt come through in time. Instead i spoke with a nurse who didnt really know much about it, expect that the the dr told her she wasnt overly concerned and that if i wanted i could repeat the tests.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »
Then maybe you should relax.  There are a LOT of times that an HIV patient, if looking line by line at their lab results, will see numbers outside the normal range.  It's a matter of degrees though, not absolutes, which is why it's important to have your doctor discuss what necessitates concern and what numbers are only marginally outside of range and not a big deal.

When, in your OP, you state "I read on the internet" I have to ask if this was particular to HIV patients or simply the general population.  I can fish around for my recent labs and post what mine are if you want.

Offline Delby

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
I guess your right. I suppose i'm getting nervous because i've not had my dr sit down with me to discuss the results and tell me, as you mentioned, what results constitute reason for concern and which results are just above the normal range. Either way i am getting my bloods repeated tomorrow so hopefully i will get some more info then! Dont worry about posting your results Miss Philicia (although thank you for offering) as the measurements used here in the uk (mmol/l) are different to those elsewhere so will probably be hard to interpret!

I read on the internet about 'normal ranges' effecting the general population. Should it be different for HIV patients?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »
Yeah, I just said up above in my first post that it's not unusual for those on HAART to have an elevated lipid panel.  It's a matter of HOW elevated.  I would assume yours is not that elevated or they'd not have told you that there was no cause for worry.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
Delby:

An LDL 2.8 mmol/L roughly translates to 109 mg/dL (U.S.).
A total cholesterol of 4.9 roughly translates to a 191 mg/dL (U.S.).

According to U.S. cholesterol screening guidelines, these numbers aren't anything to worry about. Even within Europe, the goal is to keep total cholesterol below 5.0 mmol/L (below 4.5 mmol/L in *high-risk* individuals, such as smokers and diabetics) and LDL below 3.0 mmol/L (below 2.5 in "high-risk" individuals).

In other words, Delby, your most recent levels may only be of concern if you have other high-risk factors for cardiovascular disease. If you're a smoker, have high blood pressure, diabetes, or kidney disease, you may want to talk about these numbers with your doc during your next clinic appointment. Otherwise, these numbers don't suggest aren't at all alarming.

Tim Horn

/edited for typos
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:09:14 PM by Tim Horn »

Offline Delby

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »
Thanks Tim for the very useful piece of information. Thank you everyone for all your advice. I'm off to do some boxing upstairs...maybe that will help! lol

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.