Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:11:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "I kissed a girl," she said.  (Read 14808 times)

Offline engineergirl

• What?
"I kissed a girl," she said.
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:34:40 am »
Hi, I'm Amanda, Infected July 27, 2002. 

I remember sitting in the chair, waiting for the results.  I remember the faces of the people who once stood behind me in line, nervous, anxiously awaiting their results.  I remember each one of their numbers being called... while I sat, waiting, deep down already knowing...

"Amanda, you're test came back reactive to HIV antibodies"

HIV+

I am 29, I live in Utah (not exactly the best place to live a liberal lifestyle, but I like it here).  I'm from Massachusetts, well, not really... I was born there, but my family played military Uhaul hopscotch pretty much my entire young life. 

I moved to Utah to attend BYU.  It was great... The University of Utah was better...

I live with my partner (Jess) together we have four children (biologically, they are hers)...  I love her, and the children, they are my life.  Kids are: 17, 13, 10 & 7  I feel like I'm always busy.  Probably because I am.  But without them I'd be causing trouble somewhere I'm sure.

Hmm.. I work as an Engineer for a Fire Sprinkler Company.  Been there almost 6-years.  Love it.

Well, that's about it, that's me...

Oh yeah, I forgot the basics... I like the color blue, love to read, snowboard, mountain bike, and well.. write.

All the best,

Amanda

PS.  I look forward to forming lifelong friendships with individuals here on the forums... Utah is a lonely place as a 29-year-old HIV+ non-Mormon female...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:36:29 am by amandaj.brown »
amanda j.
Currently 28 weeks pregnant with a little boy...

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
Re: "I kissed a girl," she said.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:30:24 am »
Hi Amanda and welcome, greetings from the Netherlands.
Join the ladies thread just below (or above. depending on who posted last) this one and you'll find plenty of varied company.

Till soon, hugs
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline keepingfaith

• Go Me!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:19:29 am »
Welcome Amanda, Please do join us in the dating thread..

Offline vivyt

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:33:13 am »
Hi Amanda!  :)

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:42:13 am »
Welcome, Amanda!
I have 4 kids too, 10 and 3 - 5 year olds.  I also love to read, mostly crime novels.  I just turned 37, have been poz since 94 and still live in Mass.  ;D
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:06:54 pm »
Hi Amanda,

Yes, please join us in the ladie's thread (if you haven't already). 

I'm Betty, 43 years old, been positive since 1989.  I look forward to getting to know you.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

tendai

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:09:00 am »
Hi Amanda

welcome to the forums. im zimbabwean, 29 and single. we'd love to hear more from you!

Offline Lostgirl

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:34:39 pm »
Hi Amanda

Welcome to the Forums.  Your life sounds hectic, amazing and full of love!  (Even if it is in Utah! - Hear it is a beautiful State tho and would love to visit someday.)

I, and my husband, are from Scotland but presently living in Texas (cannot wait to get back home again as I miss my family!).  Also, its just too hot here for me!  Love being able to travel around the States tho.

Keep in touch.
Lorraine x
Lostgirl

Offline netta

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:10:31 am »
Welcome Amanda  :-*
"to thine own self be true"

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »
Hi Amanda!!  You seem like a really cool person! 

I'm 34 from Georgia and just tested positive two months ago.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 01:41:10 pm »
I deleted it... Probably a better forum for that.

Thanks...

;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:29:39 pm by amandaj.brown »
amanda j.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 05:23:07 pm »
Amanda, I would pm one of the moderators about that (like Ann).  I'm not sure what the "rules" are on stuff like this.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 06:32:51 pm »
It's been an interesting couple weeks...

www.amandajbrown.blogspot.com

Amanda
amanda j.

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 03:35:18 pm »
QSaltLake did it, and the ACLU called...

http://amandajbrown.blogspot.com/

“The beginning of the end of life is when we remain silent about things that matter” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 

Amanda

amanda j.

Offline engineergirl

• What?
amanda j.

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:23:58 am »
Haven't we all kissed a girl?

- well I certainly have and really quite a few but not for some years!.

Although am bisexual and at one time counted myself as fully lesbian and was hugely involved in the feminist, lesbian separatist movement in the UK in the 1970s I have been faithful married to a man since I was 32ish ( mid 80s) - funny how life changes!!!!

So I have not kissed anyone but him for all those years!! sad isn't it really as he did ( i.e he kissed another girl)  and gave me HIV!!

Anyway I just wanted to say hello

Veritee
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline Veritee

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 10:24:43 am »
PS did you sell your pride?

As the link said the listing had been removed?
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 10:52:49 am »
www.amandajbrown.blogspot.com

eBay removed the listing for inappropriate links.

I changed the "Pride for sale" to a donation button on my blog.

Thanks for looking...

Amanda
amanda j.

Offline Veritee

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 11:05:01 am »
great - I have looked at your blog, support anyone who blogs on theses issues so if I can afford it after the new year I will donate something if it goes to help those with HIV - what do you do with donations?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:17:46 am by Veritee »

Offline Veritee

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 12:22:16 pm »
Read your blog more thoroughly - sorry I have not been on here for a while so am catching up.

It is so absolutely dreadful that you had this reaction when you went public about our HIV to the press.

As I did the same in a UK national newspaper and a few other local papers and radio stations,  I think for the same reasons as you did??

- in the hope that it would raise awareness that us women with HIV exist and the pressures we face ( but the article was not done well and did not represent my views as they were only interested in the sensation of my husband giving HIV to me and that actually did not matter to me much, even though it was reported this way in the paper
Anyway my article can be read here: http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=my-husband-caught-aids-then-infected-me&method=full&objectid=20607784&siteid=93463-name_page.html

but for me I was lucky in that it did not lead to any adverse reactions or consequences that we had not already had through HIv itself

In fact what it led to was absolutely no reaction at all!! No one was interested at all really and I wished that had been.

but while I wish my going public had had more of a result as while it might look like it was easy it was not in fact easy for me to do and took me a lot of courage.....................................

my heart goes out to you that this has been the consequences for you.
Perhaps why it has not had any ongoing negative consequences for me is that I had already semi-retired form work due to a disability and so I could not lose my job and my husband lost his job automatically when he was diagnosed ( as his company do not allow seamen with HIv to hold a valid seamans ticket so he can no longer got to sea and do his job)

But I am pretty certain had I don't this when I was working as a youth worker for a local authority it may have been the same for me

So I am so sorry about your situation as you have been so brave

Wish you and your family much love - I will donate when I can

Veritee

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 01:12:03 am »
It's been a while since I updated everyone on the current status of everything...

Disneyland, Reality, and Rabbit Holes:  www.lesbianmommas.blogspot.com

Wrongful Termination Lawyer:  www.amandajbrown.blogspot.com
amanda j.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.