POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 10:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620095
  • Total Topics: 46721
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Call to Action: New Yorkers and Those Nearby - 11-12-08 Event  (Read 2848 times)

Offline emeraldize

Call to Action: New Yorkers and Those Nearby - 11-12-08 Event
« on: November 05, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »
The Elections and the HIV Epidemic:
Aiming Higher for HIV Policies on the Local and National Levels
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
6:30 - 8:30 PM
LGBT Community Center
208 West 13th Street (Between 7th & 8th Avenues) NYC
Free ~ Open to the public ~ Refreshments provided
Once the dust has settled on Election Day 2008, many questions remain for HIV advocates. Will
the new Administration and Congress call for bold measures to address the deepening domestic
AIDS epidemic? What issues demand full funding for honest, effective HIV prevention and
groundbreaking research? What are the critical civil rights issues for PLWH that the new
Administration and Congress should address during the first 100 days after the inauguration?
And at a time when the city's HIV infection rate is three times that of the national level, local
advocates are desperately fighting devastating funding cuts to HIV/AIDS supportive services as
well as proposed far-reaching changes in the delivery of care to HIV positive Medicaid recipients.
Join us for an in-depth analysis and discussion on these and other related issues as we strategize
what lies ahead for HIV prevention justice in the United States, both nationally and locally.
Speakers include:
Bebe J. Anderson – Lambda Legal
Terri Smith-Caronia – Housing Works
Matthew Lesieur – Village Care of New York & NAPWA
Nathan Schaefer - GMHC
Co-sponsored by:
Bronx AIDS Services, Center for HIV Law and Policy, Community Education Group, Community
HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP), Gay Men of African Descent (GMAD), Gay Men’s Health
Crisis (GMHC), Housing Works, Lambda Legal, The LGBT Community Center, New York City AIDS
Housing Network (NYCAHN), Sylvia Rivera Law Project, Treatment Action Group (TAG), Village
Care of New York
For more information please contact Coco Jervis at coco@champnetwork.org or call (212) 937-7955 x 50.
www.champnetwork.org // www.gaycenter.org

Offline Jody

Re: Call to Action: New Yorkers and Those Nearby - 11-12-08 Event
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »
Thanks for being on top of this Em.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:13 PM »
Thank you, Jody! I hope you're able to go. I'm attending a teleconference version of the same topic that will be held earlier, but isn't unlimited in terms of attendance. I'm so glad to see people moving into gear so quickly. Em

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »
Thanks Em. I just came home from this and I wanna say I would vote for any of the 5 panelists if they ran for public office. They're already well-versed in HIV issues and I wonder how many current politicians can say the same.  :P So to Ms. Goodwin and Doctor Mandefro and the rest of the panel, if you're reading this and you want to run for office, please do so - you already have lots of fans.

Offline Jody

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »
It was very educational get together at the CHAMP (Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project) meeting tonight and it was good to see Alex, as well as a member of my support group here in Queens and a member of SIN whom I know.

The purpose of the meeting was aiming higher for HIV policies on the local and national levels and we had some brilliant speakers as well as audience participants at the LGBT center in Manhattan tonight.

The theme of no more cuts to HIV/AIDS services was the main one and of course the hope that President-elect Obama will change the stagnant and harmful policies of the past eight years was highlighted.  AIDS activists hope to make a push in the first 100 days of the new administration and with the economy the way it is this is no easy task.  E-mails to www.change.gov which is the Obama transition team to make suggestions is a great start.

One thing that has been happening over the past few years is a fight between the states for revenues to battle the AIDS epidemic (pandemic?, plague?).  Monies from New York, Massachusetts and California have been going south to Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas.  This is good that those folks down south are advocating for lean revenues but we need more money for all states and not the same pot to be divided up between more people in need and a nasty fight every time it comes up for review.  We know the priorities of Bush, Cheney and their administration have been Iraq and the war machine and not health care here in America.

We also need a consolidation of efforts everywhere as we are too fragmented currently.  Silos were created back in the 1980's and separate HIV systems were created for housing, meds, prevention efforts and so on and thus became fragmented policies and we need to get it all together.  28 years into this we need changes and communication tactics are critical.  Use of the media landscape must be done properly and we need still more friends and supporters who are not HIV positive to hear our stories and feel it.  These stories need to be told, not just amongst ourselves but to the entire media in all languages and all places.  Media allies and allies outside the HIV community are critical.  Personally I am basically a somewhat private man but if more folks need to know, so be it.

The questions about universal care came up, whether it is necessarily good or bad in various forms is debatable, interestingly enough.  It has been an idea in the United States for 100 years believe it or not, and such presidents as Truman, Nixon and now Obama will try for it.  It has not happened in the past but we need a fix and soon!

Jody

P.S. There is a rally Thursday, Nov. 20th at 12:30 pm at Lafayette Park in Manhattan (in front of the White House).  For more info contact: www.100daystofightaids.org
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:00:39 PM by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 06:19:10 AM »
Good Morning Jody and Allo!

This is great news to read of your having attended and your excellent summary! I was on the teleconference with approximately 60 people and it lasted 1.5 hours. Although we had a different lineup of speakers the topics and aims were nearly the same as you described above and...motivating.

Bottomline, yes, voices still must be heard. One of our speakers urged us, because many of the "freshman" class of new politicial representatives have no professional experience with HIV/AIDS, to introduce ourselves, our topics of greatest concern, etc.

Further, the topic of documentation of sexuality as a deficiency in data collection necessary to get specific attention turned to people who need it, was of great interest. I foresee more changes in intake forms and questions asked so this valuable data can be gathered and aid in getting and steering funds.

I'll add more later today regarding the 100daystofightaids and AIDSWatch 2009.

Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.