POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 12:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23031
  • Latest: milodog
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631816
  • Total Topics: 47833
  • Online Today: 234
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Appendicitis?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Appendicitis?
« on: November 09, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »
Hello All

Looking to hear from anyone who have had an appendicitis.  I started to get intermittent pain in my lower right side last night and it has been coming and going all day.  I have an appetite and don't have a fever or anything but I am worried.  I don't want to go to the ER unless I truly have to go.  I am just getting over a nasty sinus infection so i really don't need this right now.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Mike89406

Re: Appendicitis?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:30:08 PM »
I had a it 1 1/2 years ago. With me I had a low grade fever felt a little under the weather and constipated and my appetite was small. If your unsure I would at least get it checked out at the ER. They performed labs and a x-ray which didn't find anything. Finally after performing a CT scan they found out it was appendictus which then they performed a surgery and kept me overnight. The pain could be a indication however it could be a another type infection or nothing at all. For me I did have a dull pain but that was about it.

http://www.medicinenet.com/appendicitis/page2.htm#toce

Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:31:58 PM by Mike89406 »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:03:21 PM »
I've pain in that area off and on most of my life, so I feel like it's just a matter of when, not if, I'll need to get it taken care of. The one time that it was so bad, and I was so nauseated that I thought "this is it," it was pretty much resolved by the time I got in to see my doctor.  He sent me to get bloodwork to check for high white cell count, indicative of infection if I recall correctly, but it was only slightly elevated so I've never followed up.  It's just once every few weeks now that I feel a slight twinge of pain right below the beltline on the right  near the hip bone, definitely still in the gut.

Since I deal with doctors every day, I've asked a few times about it.  Once I was at the fitness center and a surgeon was coming out of the shower and I figured he couldn't really run off buckass naked so it seemed that I had a few minutes of his time. He said that sometimes constipation can aggravate the appendix but it isn't necessarily appendicitis since it isn't really an infection.

Several people, doctors or not, have told me that if you have a couple of the symptoms but are not crippled by the pain, you should make an appointment with a surgeon, but if you start vomiting, you need to go to the ER right then.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 08:16:04 PM »
I had my appendix removed when I was 21. It started as general abdominal discomfort and I thought I had eaten a bad hot dog. Then it localized to a stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen. By the time I got to the ER I could barely walk. They operated immediately after seeing my white blood count.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
thanks guys - still have pain on and off but now it is on my left side too.   I am DEFINITLY not constipated so it is probably another bout of colitis.  Ugh, I hate taking antibiotics, they screw up my system so much.  Lots of yogurt today :(

The reason I want avoid the ER is because even though my health is great (number wise), they find out I have insurance and HIV and I get admitted.  Last time I went to the ER for colitis I was there for 3 days. 

Pete
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:18:42 AM by PeteNYNJ »

Offline dapperden33

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:18:25 AM »
I just had my appendix removed 3 weeks ago. I was having pains that would come and go for around 9 months to a year until one day I woke up my whole abdomen was cramping and in pain.  It felt like I needed a BM but I didn't.  A couple of hours later, pain still there, I became nausea and vomited and the pain became more isolated.  So I went to the ER, no fever, white blood cells normal, but the CT show that it was an appendicitis and needed  an emergency operation.  It was laposcopic and I feel much better now.  But....
Here's my story, I have been on meds for 2 years. I started with a VL of over 500,000 and only 4 t-cells.
After 8 months on meds my vl dropped to 3000 and t-cells  went to 70 where they have stayed or plateaued.  My doctor has done all the genotype tests and the regimen i take should be working.  Now he thinks that my  the infection of my appendix has been festering for awhile and this is why i could not get to undetectable and t-cells up.  I get new labs drawn in 2 weeks so hopefully  we will know.  It has been very draining and depressing so I hope something will shed some light

Offline Roie

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:40:56 AM »
Peter get your self over to the ER IMEDIATELY!!!
Apendicitis is serious stuff. One of the topics discussed at on the Poz Cruise was apenicitus. And we were advised not to ignore severe pain in the lower abdomen.
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »
Roie

I would never ignore severe pain.  The pain that comes and goes is more annoying then anything.  I am going to go to my regular doctor this week and take it from there.  Dont worry, if it becomes more severe my ass will be in the ER

Thanks

Pete

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.