POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 07:28:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23329
  • Latest: ryant99
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636301
  • Total Topics: 48286
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 131
Total: 133

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: where has my butt gone :(  (Read 1431 times)

Offline uk lady

where has my butt gone :(
« on: November 07, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »
Hiya all havnt posted on here for a while & hope everyone is well. Right here goes, i have been positive for 5 years well know about it anyway. i have been on meds the past 3 my first set fo meds was sustiva & truvada & i changed meds about 9ish months ago to kaletra & kept the travada this was due to me & my partner trying for a baby. my results have been great so far in fact they didnt even change when i switched vl undetectable cd4 500. my question is since being on these new meds or med(kaletra) i have lost weight not in my face but mainly in my butt & lots & some from my hips & legs i have always had quite a big bum! & now theres not much of it left, i am quite worried about this as i really dont want to lose anymore. any ideas what i could do about this? any exercises maybe i have obught a mini stepper hopeing it may help to gain some muscle in this area does anyone have any experience of using one of these? im gussing this is due to the kaletra but i ahve mentioned it to my hiv doc & he said your face looks ok not to worry but i am as i dont wanna end up with no butt at all! any help or info would be great. thanks guys

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: where has my butt gone :(
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »
Yeah, I've had no ass now for about a decade.  Once it goes it's pretty much gone, and while it's easy for us to fixate on HIV meds causing this, and indeed it does, I would argue that it's the meds IN CONJUNCTION with our genetic profile -- otherwise everyone would experience lipoatrophy and clearly this is not the case.

And yeah, better to have it in your ass than in your face -- trust!  I have both, but when you ass is flat you experience quite a bit of discomfort sitting.  Feel free to exercise but the reality is that lipo is a cellular/mitochondrial dysfunction that effects fat dispersal, not muscle.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »
Yeah, I've had no ass now for about a decade.  Once it goes it's pretty much gone, and while it's easy for us to fixate on HIV meds causing this, and indeed it does, I would argue that it's the meds IN CONJUNCTION with our genetic profile -- otherwise everyone would experience lipoatrophy and clearly this is not the case.

And yeah, better to have it in your ass than in your face -- trust!  I have both, but when you ass is flat you experience quite a bit of discomfort sitting.  Feel free to exercise but the reality is that lipo is a cellular/mitochondrial dysfunction that effects fat dispersal, not muscle.

I haven't had a Face or an Ass for yrs.  but, I try not to dwell on it to much, as I'm 52 now  ;D

and I don't really care what I look like anymore......as long as I'm healthy, and fit (witch I'm for my age), and I don't have any body-oder, or any teeth missing, and I'm well groomed, and YES, I have lipo, but, I cannot afford do anything about that, so, that is the least of my worries  :o
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:38:26 PM by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline uk lady

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »
Looks like i just have to live with it then :( thanks guys x

Offline dixieman

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »
Exercise... my butt fat has all gone but, I've built up the muscle by leaping steps, climbing stairs anywhere I can... 3 times a day in my office building... 23 flights so I've been able to keep my bum... but, its all muscle and and no fat... I owe this to zerit/kalentra... my body looks like a diagram of muscle, veins with skin over lapping...but in clothes I have a butt.

Offline uk lady

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
hiya thanks for that well guess exercise is the way to go i guess it cant hurt, do you think a mini stepper will help build butt muscle? thanks

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
I'm sorry, I JUST HAD to comment. 

One of the things that hit us hardest are the changes to our bodies we see reflected in the mirror.  Along time ago I resigned myself to the fact that those of us with HIV are most likely to say good bye to our bums and our pretty filled out faces because eventually they all go to a "Fat Farm Resort in Phoenix Arizona".  Unfortunately they leave us behind with our skeletal looks, and our bulging veins. 

The best solution I have found is recalibrating my brain to be able to sluff it off and if people don't like my deformed body, fuck 'em...  My sweetie likes my body, mind and soul, so I really don't obsess about it anymore.  Also pushing 62 brings a certain amount of peace to the picture because then the wrinkles start showing and things start sagging. 

I feel priveleged to be able to see and experience aging, and it thrills me that I can still be mobile without the wheelchair anymore.  Life is truly superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 07:45:10 PM »
There was a time, I could stop traffic with my eyes.  My face was the first to go

Then there was PN w/foot drop, Restless Leg Syndrome and most recently Osteopenia.  Doctor was on the PN and the RLS right away and said it would heal but the healing time was slow.  Three years later, I wondered aloud why the healing process was so slow.  I had been in San Francisco for a political comedy in a park and could not walk up hill to my friends house.  I began and finished a Physical Therapy training type program.  After using the stationary bike, the stair stepper and several stretching exercises twice each week, I can walk without pain.

There is Sculptura which is discussed in the Lypodystrophy Forum which is available for the face.  People who have their HIV treatment at Kaiser Permanente are supposed to have that included in the coverage.  I have Medicare and Medi-Cal (state funded) and it is not included.  My face is beyond repair and I don't know where my butt went, it seems like it was just there yesterday.  I had a conversation with our ADAP Coordinator, we were both on Sustiva and Trizivir last year and were losing our faces and our asses.  His doctor took him off the Trizivir and I'm sorry but, I cant remember which medication was used but, his face and ass are both back and he looks good.  I asked my doctor to switch mine to what he had and from all the medications I have been on, I have a  resistance and cannot switch.  The PT really did help, I have a little routine at home and got a special deal at the local health club.  My mobility is much improved, my T-cells maintain between 350 and 450 and an undetectable VL for just over 10 years, I feel good.

I can grow a beard and cover the face but elective surgery like implants will never be in the budget.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »
I'm sorry, I JUST HAD to comment. 

One of the things that hit us hardest are the changes to our bodies we see reflected in the mirror.  Along time ago I resigned myself to the fact that those of us with HIV are most likely to say good bye to our bums and our pretty filled out faces because eventually they all go to a "Fat Farm Resort in Phoenix Arizona".  Unfortunately they leave us behind with our skeletal looks, and our bulging veins. 

The best solution I have found is recalibrating my brain to be able to sluff it off and if people don't like my deformed body, fuck 'em...  My sweetie likes my body, mind and soul, so I really don't obsess about it anymore.  Also pushing 62 brings a certain amount of peace to the picture because then the wrinkles start showing and things start sagging. 

I feel priveleged to be able to see and experience aging, and it thrills me that I can still be mobile without the wheelchair anymore.  Life is truly superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D  I work-out 3 to 4 times a day, been doing that for the last 6 yrs. and I still have lipo, but, my sweetie also likes the way I look, (were both the same age 52) and says, it's a real pleasure to lay next to me at night  ;D  so, I don't care what I look like anymore,  Yes Moffie, Life is truly superb with me as well !!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:52:18 PM by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leit

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
Don't worry, I've been singing this for years: "Ooh, baby, baby, where did my ass go?";)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.