POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639262
  • Total Topics: 48527
  • Online Today: 223
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Change Has Come to America  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Tim Horn

Change Has Come to America
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:57:28 AM »
An editorial I posted in today's AIDSmeds.com newsletter:

The hand-wringing is finally over and a defining moment in American history has taken place before our eyes—Senator Barack Obama has been elected the 44th President of the Unites States of America and the country’s first African American chief executive. It was we, the American public, who proved that change can happen. Many of us, including countless people living with HIV and AIDS, worked tirelessly to this end. In all 50 states, we donated cash to the cause, canvassed our neighbors, attended rallies, mobilized our friends and family and headed to the polls in droves. As President-elect Obama clearly emphasized during his high-voltage acceptance speech last night in Chicago’s Grant Park, the victory truly is ours.

But our fight is far from over. Each and every one of us must work with the coming Obama administration, as well as the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, to ensure that change does in fact happen for people living with HIV. President-elect Obama has committed to developing a national HIV/AIDS strategy, to fix the nation’s health care system, to fight racial disparities in access to prevention and care, to improve quality of life for those living with HIV/AIDS, to assure adequate and safe housing for those infected with the virus, to expand funding for research, to reauthorize and revise PEPFAR, to increase contributions to the Global Fund and to reduce the debts of developing nations.

AIDSmeds offers its unyielding support to Mr. Obama to achieve these and other goals that have largely gone unrecognized for the past eight years. And we look forward to working with the AIDSmeds and POZ community to make these endeavors a top priority.

—Tim Horn, President and Editor-in-Chief, AIDSmeds.com

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Change Has Come to America
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »
I'm finding this to be an increasingly emotional morning as I talk with and hear from so many loved ones and dear friends. It's so profoundly wonderful to feel real hope this morning about the possibility of positive changes in our lives -- together.

This e mail came from my friend Alain in Paris, a longtime ACT UP activist:

Sometimes it is good to cry, and I did cry this morning when i woke up, thinking about Dr King, the girls who were killed in a church, the white men who disappeared in Alabama because they were for the right cause, Billie Holiday who could not sit down in a bar where she sang etc etc.

So many fights, so many tears.

We - I mean it - WE are there now!!!

Remember it? "We shall overcome, we shall overcome..."

Alain

PS I can't tell you what I wish the ones, Bushes, Cheneys, Palins etc who will leave soon...That would be considered shocking, violent and politically not correct!!!! But I think you have an idea! LOL LOL LOL

And this is from my son Abe. For so long I've been so troubled about a world we are leaving to his infant daughter and to all of the generations coming after us. This is what Abe wrote after we spoke earlier:

"I really can hardly contain my emotions this morning. It's like I had a 2-ton, 8-year pit in my stomach and it was removed last night."

Abe

As Tim has said there is a great deal to be done. With a renewed determination and committment to work together and find solutions, we can do what needs to be done. I've been thinking how good it is to have a leader who's done things like riding the subways in NYC when he was a student here, who has lived and learned from living the life of an outsider, who acknowledges the rights of gays in his victory speech,  to have heard the shouts of joy from the street outside my home last night, to see the faces of people all over the country filled with hope.

This is a very good morning here. I'm looking forward to walking out into the world and sharing the joy, just as it is a blessing to share it all with you now.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:19:44 AM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:31:19 AM »
Yes Tim, Andy, Alain and Abe.  This is truly a day that will live for history to reflect.

As a person whose homeland is torn between the United States and Kenya; I find it truly amazing that I am able to live long enough to see this landmark day in history.  I also find it wonderful that Kenya has declared today a holiday, and the celebrations there started long before my eyes opened this morning at 3:54.

The agenda for our government is really full right now, but the world seems anxious to work with this man for a universal solution to many of the woes that are befalling many countries around the globe.  In my heart I am positive that this is the man of the moment and that he will be able to stand up to the incredible work load that is now his/ours to work through. 

For those of you who are asking "what can I do?", I think simply being the best person and citizen that you can be will go miles for helping to heal this nation from years and years of backwards thinking.  Get rid of our negative thoughts and feelings that we might have for our government, and replace them with the thoughts that WE are now the government, and we truly can make the difference in our own lives and neighborhoods.

Truly a great day in history!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline germangirl

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »
Congrats on your new president.

If I were American I would have voted for him.

Most of the peopel here are Obama fans, what good news that he won.
Eres el aire que respiro,
Eres el compania de mi soledad,
Eres el luz que me ilumina,
Eres el camino en la oseuidad.
Dedicated to my husband

My husband is positive, I am negative.

Offline Florida69

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:40:40 AM »
Tim what a great post, I just hope that he follows through with his initial promises, and be unlike most presidents and not have a closed agenda.  I voted for him.  I think it is time for all predjudice in this country to fall to the side, whether it be race, religion, sexual orientation, sex, it is time for America to be the country by the people for the people.  I am very proud of my country, and have renewed hope that many things are now possible.  D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 12:21:34 AM »
Hope is again springing eternal in the hearts of many, including mine.

What a wonderful day, one that we will remember for the rest of our lives.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »
Thanks for the great post Tim and Andy, Moffie and others for their inspiring responses.  I originally supported Senator Clinton as she is New York's senator but always knew that I would support Barack Obama 100% if he won the primaries as he did.

In retrospect, while having a woman president, this is more exciting and really does do more for the psyche of individuals and the nation as a whole...I guess my $25.00 contribution went a longer way than I thought. :)

Let us hope the economics and the problems of the world are not too great for any one leader and that the next four (eight?) years bring peace and prosperity to all.

Not to be a wet rag but my only disappointment the next day was hearing that the proposition to ban gay marriage passed in California and the news that 70% of black voters were against gay marriage in that state...I was hoping the euphoria of having Obama get into the White House would carry over with minority voters particularly and that they would get on our bandwagon of love and respect for all.  Oh well, we will keep up the good fight and hope for the future and be happy with what has been gained with the Obama victory.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.