Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:37:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why I love America  (Read 15553 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Why I love America
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:36:36 pm »

Where else in the world can you flay a Confederate flag and vote for a black man to be President?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline dad1216

Re: Why I love America
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:12:02 pm »
This house is in the town where I live...I actually put gas in my car today at the station to the left of this house (the red roof line)...to me this says a lot...my hometown has been for decades a racist community, and how sad that is...from the early 60's with the murder of a young African American woman to just a few years ago when the school was banned from sports for racist remarks at a game...this town has had a history of racism....flying the confederate flag in my community leans more towards a white America, than standing for the southern heritage...however the display of Obama's sign gives me hope that change is on the way even in my small hometown...Martinsville, Indiana...

Edited to add the local paper article...

MARTINSVILLE

Brenda and Harold Livingston don’t talk politics.

People in the world of politics, however, are talking quite a bit about the display in their front yard and the perceived mixed message it presents. The front yard has a flag pole with the United States flag on top and below it a Confederate battle flag. A few feet from the flagpole is a sign supporting the presidential candidacy of Sen. Barack Obama, the first African-American running as a major party’s presidential candidate.

Harold Livingston, assistant manager of a gas station near his home, said today he was wondering why so many people were stopping at his house and taking pictures. One of the photographs ended up being posted at politico.com, a national political Web site.

While unknown persons have secretly hung effigies of Obama and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in public places in Clarksville, Lexington, Ky., and elsewhere, the Livingtons are far from being anonymous.

“I guess we’ve got a photographic house,” he said of attention the home has received.

Livingston says he’s the one who put up the Confederate flag and his wife, Brenda, is the Obama supporter.

Although some people regard the Confederate flag as a racist symbol, Livingston said that’s not the case. Those who think the flag is racist are probably racist themselves, he said.

“I think it’s (the flag is) about the South and it’s a pretty flag,” he said.

In the Livingstons’ back yard, a pirate flag flies atop another flagpole. The flags aren’t about politics, he said.

“I don’t vote,” he says. “It doesn’t matter what president we have.”

The bigger problem, he said, is members of Congress who serve more than eight years, the maximum a president can hold office,

Brenda Livingston is a nurse practicing in Mooresville and an ordained minister. A registered Republican, she has canvassed for Obama, a Democrat, and even met Michelle Obama, the wife of the Illinois senator.

Harold Livingston, who says he’s an atheist, said, “We don’t talk religion or politics.”

The Livingstons will be observing their 10th wedding anniversary next year. They have one child at home and moved to Martinsville from Gosport a year ago.

Although Brenda Livingston doesn’t like the Confederate flag, she believes in her husband’s First Amendment freedom of speech, she said.

“I have issues with his flag, but I respect him as an individual and permit him to fly it,” she said. “It’s about the First Amendment and freedom of speech.

“If we don’t exercise it, what does our Constitution mean?”

Harold Livingston isn’t a racist, Brenda Livingston said. And neither is she.

“I’m glad you’re clearing this up,” she said. “He’s a nonconformist.”

And Brenda Livingston’s support of Sen. Obama doesn’t conform with her previous political patterns.

“I’m a registered, lifelong Republican,” she said. “I can’t endorse, however, someone I don’t respect (Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain) and I really don’t like Sarah Palin,” the GOP’s vice presidential candidate.

The Obama campaign has inspired her so much, she said, that she’s canvassed for the candidate and attended a roundtable in Fishers where she met Michelle Obama.

“She thanked me for supporting him,” Brenda Livingston said. “She’s great.”

Brenda Livington’s differences with her husband are what America is about, she said.

“America,” she said, “was built on being a melting pot.”

http://www.reporter-times.com/stories/2008/10/30/news.nw-384922.sto

Harold Livingston stands in front of his house, where he displays the Confederate flag and his wife has placed an Obama for president sign. Photo by Ronald Hawkins.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:44:08 pm by dad1216 »
23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

CD4=83  VL=47,000  (May 2011)
CD4=63  VL=78,470  (Oct 2010)
Prezista..Norvir..Truvada

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:32:28 am »
i live in the Ozarks , Missouri ,USA !

The other day i was out taking pictures ,hoping to send ANN a picture .

I   saw MANY OBAMA  yard banners !

Surprised me ! This is  the holy land  :o

Yes SOME of these yards HAVE  a Confederate Flag .

I believe that MOST people that display this Flag are saying " hey I am a Southerner "

Some of MY neighbors display the Confederate flag too !

As I am  A Connecticut Yankee , I can NOT judge  these people .

I'm in a GOOD place ,

Karl

" Live and let Live "

Offline dixieman

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:10:33 am »
The flag on display is not the official confederate flag... it is the "Battle Flag of the Confederacy" (Navy Jack) but, many people use this flag to pay homige to the south...and or hate for others...  there were 3 national flags for the confederacy...1st- Flag of the confederacy (the stars and bars) 2nd (the stainless banner) and third (the national flag) I look at it as a part of history.... nothing more nothing less...

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:19:14 am »
The flag on display is not the official confederate flag... it is the "Battle Flag of the Confederacy" (Navy Jack) but, many people use this flag to pay homige to the south...and or hate for others...  there were 3 national flags for the confederacy...1st- Flag of the confederacy (the stars and bars) 2nd (the stainless banner) and third (the national flag) I look at it as a part of history.... nothing more nothing less...

My Family has deep roots in the old south Cartersville GA.  (on my fathers side) and I have to agree with you on that , it's not a bad thing or racist thing, I look at it as a part of history.... nothing more nothing less...  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:20:40 am »
I always fail to understand this concept of "paying homage to the South" -- it's a flag that represents a separatist movement that was based on the race-based forced servitude of Africans.  Let's just call it what it was.

And I went to college in the capital of the Confederacy, so don't write me off as some uppity Yankee.

Offline denb45

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:30:12 am »

I'm an Uppity Yankee..........Born in Southern Calif. raised in Northern Calif. this doesn't bother me at all (the whole (California thing) I've been called a lot worse before.......I never even knew racism until I went to the East Coast (South New Jersey & Long Island) there ,I found out what it really was  ??? it was NOT FUN

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:09:46 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:33:55 am »
I was not aware that residents of California are Yankees.

Offline denb45

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:36:43 am »
I was not aware that residents of California are Yankees.

Yes, not too many know this, during the Civil War, we were also known as Yankees  ;D how do you think the West was Won, it was won by Yankees, so, yes Calies are Yankees, but were on the west coast  ;D
but whatever you do, please don't call a TEXAN a Yankee, cuz it won't end well..........LOL  ;D

http://home.uchicago.edu/~trwier/texana.html = How to tell if your a TEXAN  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:47:43 am by denb45 »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 11:38:22 am »
I always fail to understand this concept of "paying homage to the South" -- it's a flag that represents a separatist movement that was based on the race-based forced servitude of Africans.  Let's just call it what it was.

“I think it’s (the flag is) about the South and it’s a pretty flag,” he said.

Harold apparently cares more about the aesthetics than the message so lets review that, shall we. Personally I think the house is adorable. I love the tasteful color choices. Props for the understated scarcrow, the simple cross on the attached building and the window boxes. The welcome sign is a nice touch too. The flag poll however is completely disproportionate to the house and the base of the flag poll looks like a tombstone, so unless there is a corpse under there it needs to be rethought. Overall I find it charming.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 11:43:47 am »
People move all over today from north to south... from east to west and vice versa on the northern continent of america there really are no variences where people reside today... My dad was from New York my mom was from Tennessee... whose family fought for the Union... the war between the states was not based on slavery... it was based on the Right to succeed from the Union... slavery was an after math... it was mainly economics... guess where slavery started and still exists... oh in Africa... the first black nation in the western hemisphere to liberate and abolish slavery was Haiti... who now condons a type of slavery today... restaveks (children enslaved) the work slave is from the word slavic... which is part of my ancestry... so I should be the one to complain about slavery for myself... it is a Ugly part of history... inwhich still exists all over the world...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 11:51:53 am »
it's a flag that represents a separatist movement that was based on the race-based forced servitude of Africans. 

or rather, it's a flag that represents a separatist movement that was based on states rights (with a major underlying issue of  race-based slavery). It's why now, after the Civil War, we pay homage to our great Federalist government based in Washington DC.

I always reframe the discussion in that form because most Southerns were poor, and most did NOT own slaves. That was always the perview of a small group of rich old white men. For most Southerners (black and white) that was the flag that flew over them as the Yankees invaded (burning, pillaging, and killing Southerners along the way), and that's why they are attached to it and still display it.

I'm an Uppity Yankee..........Born in Southern Calif. raised in Northern Calif.
sorry. "Yankees" lived north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi. California wasn't even a state during the civil war.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 11:55:10 am »

Where else in the world can you flay a Confederate flag and vote for a black man to be President?

Exactly! Ah, the melting pot.

There was a story recently regarding a Muslim Navajo woman and how that has affected her life and how she is treated by others.

Interestingly, the most violent responses have been from other Navajos and from her youthful peers.

It was quite an interesting piece.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 11:55:19 am »
the war between the states was not based on slavery... it was based on the Right to succeed from the Union... slavery was an after math...

I kind of figured you'd attempt to pull that old canard and revisionist history.

link

By 1860 sectional disagreements between North and South revolved primarily around the maintenance or expansion of slavery. Historian Drew Gilpin Faust observed that, "leaders of the secession movement across the South cited slavery as the most compelling reason for southern independence."[23] Related and intertwined secondary issues also fueled the dispute; these secondary differences (real or perceived) included tariffs, agrarianism vs. industrialization, and states' rights. The immediate spark for secession was the victory of the Republican Party and the election of Abraham Lincoln in the 1860 election. Civil War historian James McPherson wrote:

To southerners the election’s most ominous feature was the magnitude of Republican victory north of the 41st parallel. Lincoln won more than 60 percent of the vote in that region, losing scarcely two dozen counties. Three-quarters of the Republican congressmen and senators in the next Congress would represent this “Yankee” and antislavery portion of the free states. These facts were “full of portentous significance” declared the New Orleans Crescent. “The idle canvas prattle about Northern conservatism may now be dismissed,” agreed the Richmond Examiner. “A party founded on the single sentiment... of hatred of African slavery, is now the controlling power.” No one could any longer “be deluded... that the Black Republican party is a moderate” party, pronounced the New Orleans Delta. “It is in fact, essentially, a revolutionary party.”[24]

Four of the seceding states, the Deep South states of South Carolina,[25] Mississippi,[26] Georgia,[27] and Texas,[28] issued formal declarations of causes, each of which identified the threat to slaveholders’ rights as the cause of, or a major cause of, secession; Georgia also claimed a general Federal policy of favoring Northern over Southern economic interests. In what later came to be known as the Cornerstone Speech, C.S. Vice President Alexander Stephens declared that the "cornerstone" of the new government "rest[ed] upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth".[29]

Historian William J. Cooper Jr., in his biography of the Confederate president Jefferson Davis, wrote, “From at least the time of the American Revolution white southerners defined their liberty, in part, as the right to own slaves and to decide the fate of the institution without any outside interference.”[30] Speaking specifically of Davis, Cooper wrote:

For his entire life he believed in the superiority of the white race. He also owned slaves, defended slavery as moral and as a social good, and fought a great war to maintain it. After 1865 he opposed new rights for blacks. He rejoiced at the collapse of Reconstruction and the reassertion of white superiority with its accompanying black subordination.[31]

In his farewell speech to the United States Congress, Davis made it clear that the secession crisis had stemmed from the Republican Party's failure "to recognize our domestic institutions [an acknowledged euphemism for slavery] which pre-existed the formation of the Union -- our property which was guarded by the Constitution."[32]
[edit]

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »
No, it was not a State back then, but it was Liberated by Yankees..........not in the same way the old South was.....by, burning, pillaging, and killing...........it was migrated too, and still is Today.....ever heard of the sayin "Go West" people did just that to find a better way of life, ( The ones that stayed that is)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:11:07 pm by denb45 »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 12:06:02 pm »
or rather, it's a flag that represents a separatist movement that was based on states rights (with a major underlying issue of  race-based slavery). It's why now, after the Civil War, we pay homage to our great Federalist government based in Washington DC.

I always reframe the discussion in that form because most Southerns were poor, and most did NOT own slaves. That was always the perview of a small group of rich old white men. For most Southerners (black and white) that was the flag that flew over them as the Yankees invaded (burning, pillaging, and killing Southerners along the way), and that's why they are attached to it and still display it.
sorry. "Yankees" lived north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi. California wasn't even a state during the civil war.  ;)

the war between the states was not based on slavery... it was based on the Right to succeed from the Union... slavery was an after math... it was mainly economics...

Wow.  So all those African-Americans currently living in the South, whose families were there during the civil war, and who think this flag represents HATE...  they just don't get it, right?  They jus ignant, right?

I'm sorry, I find some of the political views expressed here frightening.

edited for typo
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:07:40 pm by Peter Staley »

Offline denb45

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 12:15:32 pm »
People move all over today from north to south... from east to west and vice versa on the northern continent of america there really are no variences where people reside today... My dad was from New York my mom was from Tennessee... whose family fought for the Union... the war between the states was not based on slavery... it was based on the Right to succeed from the Union... slavery was an after math... it was mainly economics... guess where slavery started and still exists... oh in Africa... the first black nation in the western hemisphere to liberate and abolish slavery was Haiti... who now condons a type of slavery today... restaveks (children enslaved) the work slave is from the word slavic... which is part of my ancestry... so I should be the one to complain about slavery for myself... it is a Ugly part of history... inwhich still exists all over the world...
(said by leartherman)
most Southerns were poor, and most did NOT own slaves. That was always the perview of a small group of rich old white men..............that statement is not true

Interesting   ???  here's my question to you?  I have found my family history that go's way back to the "Old South" and I found out that my family ( On My Fathers side Owned Slaves) and he was Black/Irish
so what in the hell does that make me?  anyway you look at it ,I'm still considered Black, and always will be........ ??? my birth Certificate says " NEGRO on it
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:34:17 pm by denb45 »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 12:24:53 pm »
In the story, the guy says he is not political or religious.

OK, I understand the whole melting pot issue (see my previous post).

But I also understand that certain symbols are hateful, or represent hateful histories.

The confederate battle flag is one such symbol and I have a hard time justifying its being flown.

It would be like flying a Nazi flag in a Jewish neighbor hood. Yes, it is part of history. But, it is still a very hateful  image for many.

It isn't that I expect everyone to be PC all the time. I'm certainly not.

But, there is a difference between that and hanging a symbol of hate outside your home.

There are statues in the plaza in Santa Fe commemorating the "settling" of the Rio Grande Valley by the Spaniards.

Wrong, the Spaniards didn't settle New Mexico, they conquered the people who already lived here. They forced their lifestyle and religion on them and killed off those who fought back.

If you visit the plaza today, you will see where inscriptions on the statues there have been defaced, especially those describing the original inhabitants of New Mexico as savages, etc.

Yes, those statutes are part of history. In a way, I am sorry to see they have been defaced because the utter thoughtlessness of the inscriptions is so blatant to me, but obviously wasn't to those who carved them.

I also understand the underlying hate those statues and the inscriptions on them conveyed to the conquered people.

We cannot say some symbols are simply historic memorabilia when they have an onerous or hateful connotation.

But maybe their continued existence is a good thing because it reminds us what happened and, maybe, just maybe, may prevent us repeating the mistakes of the past.

HUGS,

Mark
-
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 12:39:24 pm »
In the story, the guy says he is not political or religious.

OK, I understand the whole melting pot issue (see my previous post).

But I also understand that certain symbols are hateful, or represent hateful histories.

The confederate battle flag is one such symbol and I have a hard time justifying its being flown.

It would be like flying a Nazi flag in a Jewish neighbor hood. Yes, it is part of history. But, it is still a very hateful  image for many.

It isn't that I expect everyone to be PC all the time. I'm certainly not.

But, there is a difference between that and hanging a symbol of hate outside your home.

There are statues in the plaza in Santa Fe commemorating the "settling" of the Rio Grande Valley by the Spaniards.

Wrong, the Spaniards didn't settle New Mexico, they conquered the people who already lived here. They forced their lifestyle and religion on them and killed off those who fought back.

If you visit the plaza today, you will see where inscriptions on the statues there have been defaced, especially those describing the original inhabitants of New Mexico as savages, etc.

Yes, those statutes are part of history. In a way, I am sorry to see they have been defaced because the utter thoughtlessness of the inscriptions is so blatant to me, but obviously wasn't to those who carved them.

I also understand the underlying hate those statues and the inscriptions on them conveyed to the conquered people.

We cannot say some symbols are simply historic memorabilia when they have an onerous or hateful connotation.

But maybe their continued existence is a good thing because it reminds us what happened and, maybe, just maybe, may prevent us repeating the mistakes of the past.

HUGS,

Mark
-

THANK YOU!   very well stated Mark  :)

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 01:03:17 pm »
Speaking of inappropriate lawn displays, I can't stand Sarah Palin but I found this to be over the line especially right before an election in which passions are running so high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smPHCPFvwwY

The image of a hanged black man is more intense than the image of a hanged white woman... ::)

Offline denb45

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »
Speaking of inappropriate lawn displays, I can't stand Sarah Palin but I found this to be over the line especially right before an election in which passions are running so high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smPHCPFvwwY

The image of a hanged black man is more intense than the image of a hanged white woman... ::)

Regardless of whatever Race, still not a good thing to display  ???

Offline dixieman

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
DIXIE'S CENSORED SUBJECT
BLACK SLAVEOWNERS

By Robert M. Grooms

According to federal census reports, on June 1, 1860 there were nearly 4.5 million Negroes in the United States, with fewer than four million of them living in the southern slaveholding states. Of the blacks residing in the South, 261,988 were not slaves. Of this number, 10,689 lived in New Orleans. The country's leading African American historian, Duke University professor John Hope Franklin, records that in New Orleans over 3,000 free Negroes owned slaves, or 28 percent of the free Negroes in that city.

To return to the census figures quoted above, this 28 percent is certainly impressive when compared to less than 1.4 percent of all American whites and less than 4.8 percent of southern whites. The statistics show that, when free, blacks disproportionately became slave masters.

The majority of slaveholders, white and black, owned only one to five slaves. More often than not, and contrary to a century and a half of bullwhips-on-tortured-backs propaganda, black and white masters worked and ate alongside their charges; be it in house, field or workshop. The few individuals who owned 50 or more slaves were confined to the top one percent, and have been defined as slave magnates.

In 1860 there were at least six Negroes in Louisiana who owned 65 or more slaves The largest number, 152 slaves, were owned by the widow C. Richards and her son P.C. Richards, who owned a large sugar cane plantation. Another Negro slave magnate in Louisiana, with over 100 slaves, was Antoine Dubuclet, a sugar planter whose estate was valued at (in 1860 dollars) $264,000 (3). That year, the mean wealth of southern white men was $3,978 (4).

In Charleston, South Carolina in 1860 125 free Negroes owned slaves; six of them owning 10 or more. Of the $1.5 million in taxable property owned by free Negroes in Charleston, more than $300,000 represented slave holdings (5). In North Carolina 69 free Negroes were slave owners (6).

so I would not play this card... I wish the school system taught True history from k-12 but, in all subjects even sex education need to be taught Unbiased!

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 01:36:10 pm »
DIXIE'S CENSORED SUBJECT
BLACK SLAVEOWNERS

By Robert M. Grooms

According to federal census reports, on June 1, 1860 there were nearly 4.5 million Negroes in the United States, with fewer than four million of them living in the southern slaveholding states. Of the blacks residing in the South, 261,988 were not slaves. Of this number, 10,689 lived in New Orleans. The country's leading African American historian, Duke University professor John Hope Franklin, records that in New Orleans over 3,000 free Negroes owned slaves, or 28 percent of the free Negroes in that city.

To return to the census figures quoted above, this 28 percent is certainly impressive when compared to less than 1.4 percent of all American whites and less than 4.8 percent of southern whites. The statistics show that, when free, blacks disproportionately became slave masters.

The majority of slaveholders, white and black, owned only one to five slaves. More often than not, and contrary to a century and a half of bullwhips-on-tortured-backs propaganda, black and white masters worked and ate alongside their charges; be it in house, field or workshop. The few individuals who owned 50 or more slaves were confined to the top one percent, and have been defined as slave magnates.

In 1860 there were at least six Negroes in Louisiana who owned 65 or more slaves The largest number, 152 slaves, were owned by the widow C. Richards and her son P.C. Richards, who owned a large sugar cane plantation. Another Negro slave magnate in Louisiana, with over 100 slaves, was Antoine Dubuclet, a sugar planter whose estate was valued at (in 1860 dollars) $264,000 (3). That year, the mean wealth of southern white men was $3,978 (4).

In Charleston, South Carolina in 1860 125 free Negroes owned slaves; six of them owning 10 or more. Of the $1.5 million in taxable property owned by free Negroes in Charleston, more than $300,000 represented slave holdings (5). In North Carolina 69 free Negroes were slave owners (6).

so I would not play this card... I wish the school system taught True history from k-12 but, in all subjects even sex education need to be taught Unbiased!

Very interesting find, history books (the ones taught in school leave out a lot of what is the truth) also the BIBLE is so, misconstrued, it aint even funny  ??? but as far as the BIBLE gos, I'm not going down that road, we'd have to start another thread on that one...........
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:41:55 pm by denb45 »

Offline dixieman

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 01:45:36 pm »
oh man the bible... yes alot of text were left out and many were mistranslated to suit the needs of the Church... I dont want to get off the suject ... that's a touchy one.  Well I made my point whether ones agree and or not... everyone has an opinion. I just see the flag as a flag with no meaning other than its location... a time period in the past... plus its not the real confederate flag... in the first place. I have on my own home... the United States flag with a 6' sign that just states VOTE!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 01:51:34 pm »
Flags are symbols.  Symbols by definition have a meaning.  To state otherwise is beyond moronic.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 01:58:55 pm »
The Sarah Palin effigy with a noose around the neck ...I find it appauling... but, its someones right to expression.. Wow I wonder how people would have reacted if an effigy of Obama was hanging with a noose around the neck? I would find that appauling also but, How Many people would be screaming through the roof and protesting about this? I saw the news on this story and I thought long and hard on this subject so I thought it was best for me not to post. It seems if someones Opinion that may not corresspond to anothers liking causes alot of CONFLICT on this board...

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 02:06:04 pm »
The Sarah Palin effigy with a noose around the neck ...I find it appauling... but, its someones right to expression.. Wow I wonder how people would have reacted if an effigy of Obama was hanging with a noose around the neck? I would find that appauling also but, How Many people would be screaming through the roof and protesting about this? I saw the news on this story and I thought long and hard on this subject so I thought it was best for me not to post. It seems if someones Opinion that may not corresspond to anothers liking causes alot of CONFLICT on this board...

(said by peter)

I'm sorry, I find some of the political views expressed here frightening.

ain't that the truth  ??? but, everyone loves a good debate  ;D

Offline dixieman

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 02:10:28 pm »
Its not a flag of hate to everyone its a flag of heritage... sorta like how some countrys burn the American flag in protest... because to them its a flag of hate but, to Americans its our flag... Flags, symbols can have many meanings some bad and some good... I think its the intention of the person whose displaying the symbol, flag etc... ... What are they trying to say... their purpose...Remembering their families history and a part of history... or are they displaying it as some concocted reason to show hate... but,  I would not bring up the race card... if thats the way someone feels then I guess thats their problem... its Whats the true intention in displaying it?                          

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 02:55:24 pm »

I do understand why the rebel flag invokes harsh feelings in some people.  When I was seventeen I had a pretty bad experience getting beat down at a gas station one time by a group of guys in a pickup truck with a rebel tint screen across the back window.  Their reason for doing so, or at least the reason they justified it, was because my girlfriend was black.  Luckily they never touched her, I on the other hand did not fair so well in my beat down. 

That happend twenty one years ago and it still is pretty fresh in my memory.

The other day I was at the corner store and a guy was in front of me in line with a huge rebel flag tattoo on his shoulder.  He looked the part.  Dirty, scraggly hair, no shirt, and a twelve pack of Budweiser in hand.  The store owner and the guy where having a conversation about the election.  I could not believe my ears!

The redneck was saying we need a change.  We've had a white guy in office for the last eight years who has fucked this country up beyond repair...  These were his words by the way.  He went on to say that he voted for Obama, did not care about his race one bit...  I was walking out the door at this point.  I was a bit surprised...  Then again I wonder if he had his friends around and saw my wife and I if I would have been subjected to another beat down like I was when I was seventeen.

Change is happening, however slow, it is happening....

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 04:35:14 pm »
The Sarah Palin effigy with a noose around the neck ...I find it appauling... but, its someones right to expression.. Wow I wonder how people would have reacted if an effigy of Obama was hanging with a noose around the neck?

Sarah's effigy was probably faked.  You know, kind of like this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08299/922849-53.stm

... and which of course was pimped for days by right wing hack Drudge, and race baited by the McCain campaign.  Rather sad.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:38:28 pm by philly267 »

Offline dixieman

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 04:42:57 pm »
Well the two homos living in hollywood who have it as decorations on their house with McCain on fire out of the chimney were interviewed... the city council and Mayor asked if they would remove it but, they stated that it was their freedom of speech and intended it to stay... so no I do not think it was Faked... nor do I really care... I think its just appauling but, I did state if Obama was hanging by a noose ... People would be in an uproar... and rightfully so... but, a white woman whether you like it or not does not get the same response? Its a shame. But, I am sure you think its appropriate...

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 04:45:24 pm »
Sarah's effigy was probably faked.  You know, kind of like this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08299/922849-53.stm

... and which of course was pimped for days by right wing hack Drudge

[img]http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/drudgetodd.jpg/img]

Nice sweater she has on there...  I was looking for the "B" on her cheek.  Definitely stands for something, however I doubt it stands for Barack at this point.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »
Of course the "B" was backwards on her face because she did it herself in a mirror. Encyclopedia Brown would have had this figured out immediately. :)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 05:05:05 pm »
Of course the "B" was backwards on her face because she did it herself in a mirror. Encyclopedia Brown would have had this figured out immediately. :)

ROFL!!!!!!  Please tell me you made that up...lol!!!

One thing I can count on is for others here to cheer me up and make me laugh...

Offline denb45

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 05:48:56 pm »

I do understand why the rebel flag invokes harsh feelings in some people.  When I was seventeen I had a pretty bad experience getting beat down at a gas station one time by a group of guys in a pickup truck with a rebel tint screen across the back window.  Their reason for doing so, or at least the reason they justified it, was because my girlfriend was black.  Luckily they never touched her, I on the other hand did not fair so well in my beat down. 

That happend twenty one years ago and it still is pretty fresh in my memory.

The other day I was at the corner store and a guy was in front of me in line with a huge rebel flag tattoo on his shoulder.  He looked the part.  Dirty, scraggly hair, no shirt, and a twelve pack of Budweiser in hand.  The store owner and the guy where having a conversation about the election.  I could not believe my ears!

The redneck was saying we need a change.  We've had a white guy in office for the last eight years who has fucked this country up beyond repair...  These were his words by the way.  He went on to say that he voted for Obama, did not care about his race one bit...  I was walking out the door at this point.  I was a bit surprised...  Then again I wonder if he had his friends around and saw my wife and I if I would have been subjected to another beat down like I was when I was seventeen.

Change is happening, however slow, it is happening....

Interesting story, yes we have come a long way in 20 yrs. (with RACE)  but, we still have a long way to go in the LGBT Community  ;D just think of that, if we as a nation can get rid of both Race & Gender  prejudice as well as economic problems, we would have really come all the way  ;D but I really don't think all of this will happen all at once, at least NOT in my life time  ???
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 05:53:08 pm by denb45 »

Offline denb45

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 06:10:42 pm »
I never even knew racism until I went to the East Coast (South New Jersey & Long Island) there ,I found out what it really was  ???  it was NOT FUN

Sorry for quoting myself, but, I wanted to explain that statement form a previous post earlier in this thread

My Racism that both me & my otherhalf experienced in (South New Jersey & New Yorks' Long Island) had nothing to do with the color of my skin, nor the fact that my otherhalf is white, it was because we were Proud and out Gay............that is what they didn't like about us, back in 2002 when we went back there to visit Bob's family  ??? most of them ( his mom & dad were very nice) but his sisters & bothers were NOT, in fact they knew we were there for a whole week and NEVER even bothered to show up and say Hello to us  ??? when Bob ask some of them why, here what they said " it's not you, it's your lifestyle we don't approve of"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:16:55 pm by denb45 »

Offline denb45

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 07:42:58 pm »

WRONG!!!  take look at this: California was indeed a FREE UNION STATE   The United States map of 1865, shows affiliation of states and territories regarding the Secession War (Civil War.) Legend:

If you look at this map and really read it, you will find, that statement you made about Calif. is NOT TURE  Calif. become a State in 1850...............The American Civil War (1861–1865), also known as the War Between the States and several other names, was a civil war in the United States of America. ...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:US_Secession_map_1865.svg
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:55:30 pm by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 08:03:42 pm »
I'm not sure what argument you're attempting to make.  California's involvement in the Civil War was minimal -- traveling from the east to California was like going to the moon.

Offline denb45

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 08:21:30 pm »
I'm not sure what argument you're attempting to make.  California's involvement in the Civil War was minimal -- traveling from the east to California was like going to the moon.

Never said CA. was involved in the Civil War, just wanted to clarify to Leartherman, that CA. become a State back in 1850, before the Civil War (1861 to 1865) even started, he said it was not......also the term "Dam Yankees refers to all of the Union states that are Blue in color, so, Californians are in fact "Yankees"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:28:47 pm by denb45 »

Offline goodboygonebad

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 10:59:26 am »
Hey not sure if it's been mentioned -it's always been my understanding it was the republicans (Lincoln) that freed the slaves and the Democrats that didn't want to end it...funny how times have changed..
To be Clear I already voted Obama but I do think it's an odd history these parties have..

Offline denb45

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 11:32:33 am »

...funny how times have changed..
To be Clear I already voted Obama but I do think it's an odd history these parties have..

The basic difference is that Republicans follow a conservative philosophy and Democrats follow a liberal philosophy.

A liberal would say that a proper role for government is to regulate and oversee the economy. Liberals say it's proper for government to ensure that companies do the right thing (such as pay minimum wages), and to ensure that people act responsibly in their finances (such as requiring contributions to retirement savings).

A conservative would say that a proper role for government is to regulate and oversee morality. Conservatives say it's proper for government to ensure that people are punished for immoral acts (such as taking drugs), and that people act appropriately in their marriages (such as banning homosexual marriage).

A libertarian would say that neither of those is a proper role for government. Libertarians say that the only proper role is to maintain an army for defense against invasion, to maintain a court system for ensuring justice, and other constitutionally defined roles.

A populist would say that both economic and moral intervention are proper roles for government.

Some people classify libertarians as conservatives and some classify populists as liberals. Those definitions fall apart when libertarians talk about moral issues like abortion (pro-choice) or drugs (pro-legalization).

Ralph Nader and Pat Buchanan both consider themselves "populists," but the press usually classifies Nader as liberal and Buchanan as conservative. Yet they agree entirely on their most important issue, opposing free trade and globalization.

The problem with a one-dimensional definition like liberal and conservative is that it doesn't define well political reality. The two-dimensional definition is better.

Obama is a Democratic Socialist where as MCcain is a Moderate Republican

and in my opinion whoever wins the White House, there job is not going to be easy
it may take up to 2 terms ( 8yrs. to really fix all this Mess)  ??? and...yes change is coming
but, do keep in mind, that it won't happen a fast as we all want it too, it's slow, but takes time....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:45:52 am by denb45 »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2008, 11:32:59 am »
Hey not sure if it's been mentioned -it's always been my understanding it was the republicans (Lincoln) that freed the slaves and the Democrats that didn't want to end it...

True in theory I guess.  I always felt it was the Unions way of crushing the South.  The North was far more industrialized, while the South was pretty much a cotton producing entity.  Of course there's much more to it than my simple idea here, but after the war the Republicans, and the North for that matter, wanted very little to do with a black person.

There really was no great life awarded to the black race after the war was over sadly.  If they were lucky, and I say this loosely, they became share croppers with very little rights and few rewards if any....  hence stories of slaves returning to the plantation wanting their ex-slave masters to take them back.

Not a very pretty period in American History to say the least.

Offline denb45

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 11:48:28 am »
  True in theory I guess.  I always felt it was the Unions way of crushing the South.  The North was far more industrialized, while the South was pretty much a cotton producing entity.  Of course there's much more to it than my simple idea here, but after the war the Republicans, and the North for that matter, wanted very little to do with a black person.

There really was no great life awarded to the black race after the war was over sadly.  If they were lucky, and I say this loosely, they became share croppers with very little rights and few rewards if any....  hence stories of slaves returning to the plantation wanting their ex-slave masters to take them back.

Not a very pretty period in American History to say the least.

Sad, but very true..............

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 11:52:26 am »
The American Civil War (1861–1865), also known as the War Between the States and several other names, was a civil war in the United States of America. ...

ok. i get that about Cali. ;)
since no fighting was done there during the war, I just didn't think that it had gotten it's statehood by that point. And the term "yankee" was used for Union soldiers, so I still don't think Californians are yankees per se.  ;D It wasn't until the World Wars, when the Europeans (who supplied the South and probably picked up the derogatory term) used that word to describe the American solders.

Coming from a state littered with battlegrounds from the Civil War (I remember a field trip in elementary school to one of the larger battlegrounds in the area, Kings Mountain, SC), I don't view the flag as a hate symbol, as much as the symbol that my ancestors fought (and some died) under fending off the invading armies of the North, who brought death and destruction to not only the slave owners but also to the civilians of the South.

so you left out the name any Southern Reb will tell you that the Civil War was called -
"the War of Northern Aggression"  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »
ok. i get that about Cali. ;)
since no fighting was done there during the war, I just didn't think that it had gotten it's statehood by that point. And the term "yankee" was used for Union soldiers, so I still don't think Californians are yankees per se.  ;D It wasn't until the World Wars, when the Europeans (who supplied the South and probably picked up the derogatory term) used that word to describe the American solders.

Coming from a state littered with battlegrounds from the Civil War (I remember a field trip in elementary school to one of the larger battlegrounds in the area, Kings Mountain, SC), I don't view the flag as a hate symbol, as much as the symbol that my ancestors fought (and some died) under fending off the invading armies of the North, who brought death and destruction to not only the slave owners but also to the civilians of the South.

so you left out the name any Southern Reb will tell you that the Civil War was called -
"the War of Northern Aggression"  ;D

I'm just as much a yankee as you are, sorry you fail to realize this, but no matter  ;D it's all good.......one things for sure ,even tho I have family roots in the deep-south, (on my fathers side) I'm no southern'er by any means  ;D not that it's a bad thing, I love the south, (it's southern hospitality) when I visited there a few yrs back, I was treated a lot better, than I was when I visited Ohio, and the East Coast, I know that sounds kinda strange, but it's true.........
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:27:12 pm by denb45 »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2008, 12:21:28 pm »
I'm just as much a yankee as you are

bite your tongue, good sir. I hail from the great Southern state of North Carolina. Calling me a Yankee is fighting words!  ;D

(luckily since Ohio forgot to ratify their statehood under 1925, I'm not even an honorary Yankee living here in Ohio for the past 23 years.)

But I must warn you, if you go to any of the battleground states, north or south (pa, va, wva, tenn, nc, sc, ga) and say you're a yankee cause you come from california, you're going to get laughed at. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2008, 12:24:31 pm »
bite your tongue, good sir. I hail from the great Southern state of North Carolina. Calling me a Yankee is fighting words!  ;D

(luckily since Ohio forgot to ratify their statehood under 1925, I'm not even an honorary Yankee living here in Ohio for the past 23 years.)

But I must warn you, if you go to any of the battleground states, north or south (pa, va, wva, tenn, nc, sc, ga) and say you're a yankee cause you come from california, you're going to get laughed at. ;)

LOL   ;D Oh leatherman....you're to funny........but, I like you  ;)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »
but, I like you  ;)
i've enjoyed our "sparring" on the topic, since things haven't gotten too heated. Hey! for all the stuff I've posted, it's not like any of it really means that much anyway. We're talking about history from nearly 150 years ago. I never even met my great-great grandparents who would have been alive back then (on a totally different subject, that's why I'm not for "reparations" to anyone from the Civil War. Who would be alive to give the $$ too. All those slaves and owners are long, long gone.)

there have been two comments here that have made me think or be annoyed.

first the comment about the comparison of the nazi and confederate flags. the comparison is a little thin (one was the symbol of an invading army into other soverign nations while the other was the symbol of a separatist movement trying to form their own nation) but it did give me pause to think about the symbolism all these years laters.

this comment though annoyed me
They jus ignant, right?
definitely a condescending comment but was that mocking the black dialect or just the Southern dialect? It's hard for me to tell as none of my Southern friends or family (black or white) speaks like that. That's one thing I'll give the Yankees credit for, even today people will mock Southerners as ignorant because of our accent.

Y'all have a great day now!  ;D

mikie
(who is constantly reminded of his Southern heritage here among the Northerners whenever he says "y'all" and gets the heads to turn)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2008, 01:01:32 pm »
i've enjoyed our "sparring" on the topic, since things haven't gotten too heated. Hey! for all the stuff I've posted, it's not like any of it really means that much anyway. We're talking about history from nearly 150 years ago. I never even met my great-great grandparents who would have been alive back then (on a totally different subject, that's why I'm not for "reparations" to anyone from the Civil War. Who would be alive to give the $$ too. All those slaves and owners are long, long gone.)

there have been two comments here that have made me think or be annoyed.

first the comment about the comparison of the nazi and confederate flags. the comparison is a little thin (one was the symbol of an invading army into other soverign nations while the other was the symbol of a separatist movement trying to form their own nation) but it did give me pause to think about the symbolism all these years laters.

this comment though annoyed medefinitely a condescending comment but was that mocking the black dialect or just the Southern dialect? It's hard for me to tell as none of my Southern friends or family (black or white) speaks like that. That's one thing I'll give the Yankees credit for, even today people will mock Southerners as ignorant because of our accent.

Y'all have a great day now!  ;D

mikie
(who is constantly reminded of his Southern heritage here among the Northerners whenever he says "y'all" and gets the heads to turn)

Yes    ;D Thanks for your quick witted humor, it made my day  ;)  and as for Peter's Reply.........you'll have to ask him about that one,  I can't much help you there............ but you might want to go back and read skeebo1969 reply # 28 for a better understanding, of what happened to him 20 some odd yrs. ago.......... ???
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:15:33 pm by denb45 »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2008, 01:42:04 pm »
You know, as I've read through this thread, my mind has gone to a number of different places.  Having lived the first 36 yrs of my life in New England, I certainly have a "Yankee" spin on life, but I've lived the last 8+ yrs in Richmond, VA.  My time in the South (some would argue about Richmond being in the "south", but I let that one alone) has opened my eyes to many things. First, I thought race would be a much "bigger thing" done here, but I've not found that to be so -- although the media does try to hype almost anything with a race angle.  My partner and I are the only white (and only gay) household in my neighborhood -- no problems at all (a plus, NO calls from the McCain camp, but daily calls from Barack or Michelle Obama).
I have been amazed by the abundance of "Stars and Bars" flying down here.  I certainly can see how some folks are looking at it from a strictly "heritage" view, but I know others do for more provocative reasons.  The fact remains that just about any "symbol" is going to cause angst for some folks.  I don't think it is wrong to compare the Confederate flag with the Nazi swastika.  The "separatist movement trying to form their own nation" wanted to do it, at least in part, to keep a race in chains.  While I'll agree that is quite equivalent to the "final solution" it is in the same neighborhood.
However (I know I'm rambling) what has most struck me from this thread is how no one has mentioned the fact that our nation's greatest symbol -- the US flag -- may, in fact, cause angst in at least one group.  Remember, as we were trying to build and grow our own nation, we systematically uprooted and/or killed a huge number of Native Americans to do so.  So, you see -- any symbol may be looked at through different eyes for any number of reasons.  Just some food for thought.

Lest anyone think I'm being unpatriotic -- I'll simply state that I have put my life on the line for this country and would do so again, if needed (although a gay HIV+ man would probably come pretty low on the list of recruits).

Thanks,
Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.