POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 06:03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650505
  • Total Topics: 49666
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 119
Total: 122

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hello All, the last on my dad,,  (Read 2135 times)

Offline lovingdaughter

Hello All, the last on my dad,,
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:28:05 PM »
I haven't been on here in such a long time, I hope all of you are doing well. And I hope all who know me are still here.

On a good note, I became a grandma, for the first time on May 14, 2008 to the most precious lil' boy ever (other than my own of course).Thanks to my daughter Stephanie. His name is Kaden, God sent him to me for a reason.....

I just wanted to let everyone know, my last post was about my dad being diagnosed with Leukemia (on top of HIV). That was over a year ago. He choose NO treatment ! On May 20 this year, he was told he was in the final stages, No chance for treatment now. On May 22, He watched my son graduate from High School (dad was sick as a dog, but couldn't make him stay home). We got the best pics of them, I am so glad he was there. May 25 we had a big BBQ & family get to gather, it was so nice, both of his brothers were there from out of state and sooo many other relatives. He was looking & feeling good.

He quickly took the down hill slide,,,,On June 9 he was moved from home to a Hospice facility, only waking briefly from time to time, then on June 12, I went to see him, I had left work early my Brother thought I should be there,(I had missed alot of work so I was trying to get a few hours)  for a brief moment, he opened his eyes, & when I said "hey Daddy I love You"  he smiled the biggest smile I will ever remember from him. That was the last time we saw his eyes open.  On June 13 (my moms birthday) He passed away.

It has taken me until now to be able to write this  & to be honest, it's REALLY hard now !!

I just can't get over the urges to call him. I have so many moments since then that I have picked up the phone only to realize he's not there. My son was accepted into the Law enforcement academy, which my Dad would always call to check on the status, but when we found out, he was gone, I really wanted to talk to him ! And at least he got to meet my Grandson before he passed, so that was cool.

OK now that I have started, I could go on ALL night I hope this is not out of the realm of this forum, I hope it's not too sad (I didn't mean it that way)

I just wanted to let my friends on here know " My Angle has gone to heaven" !!!

I wish the best for ALL of you ! I will keep you all in my prayers.

Lisa, (lovingdaughter of Leon Gulledge, forever) !!!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Hello All, the last on my dad,,
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news, he was a good father and you were a very loving daughter, you did everything to make his life better, no-one could have tried harder.

You have lost one angel but he has been replaced by other.

hugs to you grandma and your family.

:'(..for the Angel to left
 :-*.for the angel who has arrived.

Love
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:54:33 AM »
lisa...

this is a really touching post. Generations of love and kindness
...father, daughter, son, grandson. What a wonderful family. 

my deepest sympathies.

robert

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 07:37:44 AM »
Hi Lisa,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a parent is never easy.

((((((Lisa))))))

On the other hand, congratulations Grandma! :)

I'd like to invite you to place a thread in your father's memory in our In Memoriam forum.

Wishing you peace,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:14:11 AM »
Hi Lisa,

You hope your story isn't out of the realm of this forum, and it isn't. We all need and often want to hear stories of loving parents, loving children and what is possible in the presence of love.

Letting us know of your care and love of your father and of his tough decisions, joyous last moments with family and final smile, helps you to heal. You also help each one of us to remember the loss of a loved one, to prepare for a loss or envision our own endings...

and you shine a light on the beginnings presented by grandchildren, children, new friends and reclaimed friends.

Thank you for letting us in.

Em

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
Dear Lisa,

I am sorry for the loss of your Dad.

I know how hard it is and life is challenging at best of times.

There is so much hope however in your post regarding your family situation.

Wishing you peace and strength in carry on, especially for caring for him like you did.

The Loving Daughter; with fondest thoughts, Alain :-* 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »
Lisa,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father.  I lost both my parents within the last year and it's not easy.  Congratulations on the birth of your grandson!  Grandchildren are the best. 
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »

Sorry for the loss of your very loving father.  The love you two shared was very evident in your post.  Where one life ends another begins, congrats on being a new grandma....
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 05:49:46 PM »
Dear Lisa,

We don't know each other but I just thought your post was beautiful. I want to send out my condolences to you and your family and also congratulate you on being a grandma.  Just goes to show, the heartache of a loss, brings life to a new beginning!  :-*

Love,

Mark
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline lovingdaughter

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »
I want to Thank everyone for the love you sent to me & my family,

It is still so hard for me to talk about this, but for some reason, typing even through the tears, makes me feel brief relief. You guys have been here for me over the last several years, through the diagnoses, ALL of the questions that seemed "stupid" as a newby to this disease but only trying to get educated, you ALL were very supportive & understanding. You also taught me so much through the process, which I thank you for and I have thought to tell you about Dad alot, but could not bring myself to sit down and do it until now.

Just one more thing, my Mom continues to get tested and is still Negative. She was by his side @ 1:10 am when he took his last breath.

Both of my Parents have shown this entire family what it means to be strong, supportive and Loving.

I only hope I can be half the person my Dad was,,,, he was the Best. 

Thanks again,,,, and Ann, I will be posting to the Memorial link you suggested, I wasn't aware of it , so thanks!

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 02:44:32 AM »
Dear Lisa,

My deepest condolences go out to you and your family, on the loss of your father.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 12/10/14,  t-cells are at 350,  Previous 8/25/14--- 402/ Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 13% / Previous 8/25/14 11%

63 years young.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 03:33:43 AM »
My deepest sympathy for your loss. Stay Strong...

Mike
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 07:19:53 AM »
You're welcome, Lisa. I've added your father's name to the In Memoriam directory.

One thing - you say your mom "continues to get tested". She doesn't need to anymore, she'll be well outside the window period. It's got to be hard enough on her that he passed on her birthday, there's no point in re-opening the wound through continued testing.

Still wishing you - and your family - peace.
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »
Dear Lisa,

Thanks for letting us know about your dad's passing.

It is always so sad to loose someone close, specially a parent.

From what i read you have been an angel to him... so, he will be waiting for you, when your time has come.

Feel free to write about him as much as you like. Grief hurts and writing about your dad may help you to cope with it a tiny bit better.

Warm hug

Hermie
Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Viread, Kivexa (Epzicom),Viramune once daily

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.