Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:57:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 240
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The one time I wish I'd kept my mouth shut!!!!!  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Alain

• I am.
The one time I wish I'd kept my mouth shut!!!!!
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:43:44 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:45:35 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: The one time I wish I'd kept my mouth shut!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:57:53 am »
Oh Alain!

Forgive me but I can't help but laugh :D And forgive me for being un-PC, but your friend sounds like an overly sensitive fat cow. (did I just say that out loud?) If she couldn't be bothered to acknowledge your sincere apology, I wouldn't worry too much about losing her friendship. Some people just aren't worth the hassle, you know what I mean?

Aw, but it sounds like you could do with a hug. (((Alain)))

Ann
(who puts her foot in her mouth more times than she cares to think about!)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:31:06 pm »
Sometimes the less said...the better.  An apology would be in order (Ann...I'm not suppose be laughing about this) and perhaps a bouquet of yellow roses.  That's my suggestion.........Otherwise what else can you do.

Ann you are so bad............ ;D
Bad girl...bad :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:03:56 pm »
At least you didn't say after hearing she wasn't expecting, "Damn You're Fat." You would have been in more hot water.  :D

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:14:53 pm »
I was so excited to see her and her new beau, that I just loudly expressed my happiness to the fact that she was pregnant.Well, SHE IS NOT and told me so in a very upsetting way. I was in shock and if I could fit , you know in those cracks in the cement slabs of a sidewalk, I would have been there in a New York minute.

The same thing happened to me about 8 years ago. For a minute I wished to drop dead but turned out ok as she actually laughed about it. It still making me feel bad when I think about it, and you just reminded it to me. We stayed in contact and now I keep my MOUTH shut when I'm in a situation like that...I won't say nothin' until they break the news to me.  ::)

If she doesn't reply to you after the flowers & note then you can't do much. Everyone makes mistakes and if she can't forgive you for that..well...too bad for her. It's normal you feel bad about it but that's not the end of the world and hope she will go beyond that.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:53:31 pm »
Alain,

I have the done the same thing...only I did it to a customer when I was working at a retail school supply store.

She had on sweats and walked around holding and rubbing her tummy like alot of pregnant women do. she was very slim except for her tummy pooch. When she was paying for her stuff she started rubbing her tummy and I asked her when she was due.

She looked at me and said I'm not pregnant I just had my appendix out. I about died. I apologized all over myself and she laughed and said that she had told her hubby that morning that she looked like she did when she was 4 months pregnant. Thank heavens she wasn't mad or upset.

I have never ever asked a woman when she was due again. They would have to be in hard labor before I asked them anything about being pregnant!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:31:25 pm »
I feeel Your Pain,
 Ive had some notable foot in mouth moments myself.
Youve done about all that can be expected, although if you really wanted to Twist The Knife, a followup card or Email with something like " I should have Known Better, at your age..." or possibly " It was just that cheap outfit you had on"  but You seem way too nice :-X

Lwood
who was never known for his smooth talk with the ladies anyway...
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Christine

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:34:04 pm »
 Everyone puts their foot in their mouth at some point, including her. You did all that you should do, if she can't accept it, then I think you grew apart for a reason.

Don't feel to bad about it, mouth accidents happen!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:49:40 pm »
Gosh, that is so embarrassing!  I think it happens to all of us.  It definitely has happened to me.

You sent a card and flowers.  That is all that's required.  Forget about it and go on.  It's just another lesson to put in the file cabinet. ;)
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 10:26:28 am »
FLOWERS?  Are you out of your mind man.....

From the sounds of it, this woman needs a case of Twinkies!  Or maybe a free membership to a gym!

Im sorry but I am in a funky mood today.  She needs to get OVER it.  It was an HONEST mistake.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:38 am »
although if you really wanted to Twist The Knife, a followup card or Email with something like " I should have Known Better, at your age..." 

oh L - you twisted and lovable banana-split!  :D  ;D  :D

Alain - you certainly are sweet sending flowers

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 03:06:11 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:41:20 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 03:37:20 pm »
That was funny, LOL!

There used to be this shop in town called The Chocolate Strawberry. They served all kinds of handmade truffles right there in the shop among other things. Almost everytime I went there I would get a glass of milk and a few of these chocolate truffles with this excellent orange filling. One day one of the ladies that owned and worked at the place asked me if I was pregnant. I guess it made me a little self conscious of the belly even though I really didn't have one. After she learned that I wasn't, I believe she apologized. I still went there after that. Those chocolates were soooooooooooooo good. Unfortunately, they closed their doors and I have never been able to find those kind of chocolate truffles again.  :'(
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 03:41:40 pm »
Just consider it a lesson learned - the HARD WAY.

I NEVER comment on someone that I think 'might be' pregnant.   

Sounds like her wounded pride is affecting her better judgement about your friendship.   Hopefully, she'll get over it.

Good luck!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 09:21:02 pm »
Alain,
    Don't sweat the small stuff.... I did the exact same thing about two years ago, and got the same reaction. After listen to three minutes of hysterical shrieking from the woman in question. I pointed out that it was an honest mistake, and that I had meant no offense. It made no difference. So I finally told her that if she didn't want people thinking she was pregnant, perhaps she should get an abortion, ie; have liposuction and get rid of that enormous belly. It wasn't PC, but then again, the truth frequently isn't. Don't let it get you down Bro....
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline ademas

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 09:59:23 pm »
I haven't done that one, but I once bumped into a friend that had been pregnant, and she was so large...well, I couldn't tell if she had given birth yet.

It was very uncomfortable.  I didn't know whether to ask when she was due or ask about the new baby.  So we just chatted about nothing for five minutes...and she offered no clues...so I said nothing.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.