POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 09:17:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635364
  • Total Topics: 48194
  • Online Today: 269
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SWEET Study feedback  (Read 563 times)

Offline Gary

SWEET Study feedback
« on: October 22, 2008, 04:53:38 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've not been on here in ages. I just wanted to give some feedback about a trial I took part in two years ago.  This summary of information is taken from a patient news letter that was sent to me from Gilead.

The SWEET study, conducted in the UK and Ireland was a randomised, open-label, 48 week comparative trial of Truvada and Combivir in patients with stable viral loads also taking Efavirenz.

The main aim was to look at changes in haemoglobin levels due to the fact that anaemia can have a large effect on the patients quality of life, due mostly to its association with fatigue.  Anaemia, within HIV has been linked to future deterioration of the disease independent of CD4 or VL.

The second aim of the study was to look at drug adherence, since poor adherence is a significant cause of poor viral suppression and leads to emergence of resistant viruses.  Side effects and  drug interactions are some of the factors that contribute to poor levels of drugs in the blood which can cause HIV drugs to stop working.

It is known that the use of Combivir causes short term anaemia and, in addition, long-term therapy with d4t and AZT have been associated with abnormal lipid effects (the amount of fat in the blood) and body fat distribution (lipodystrophy).

The SWEET study looked at the effects of Truvada on chronic anaemia and how that affected patients' quality of life and also its affect on lipid profiles and fat distribution.

The total length of the study was one year, with a total of 234 patients (197males and 37 females).

The two main findings of the study were:
1. Switching treatments from Combivir to Truvada when given with Efavirenz lead to improvements in haemoglobin levels and hence a reduction in the effects of anaemia.
2. Patients that switched treatments from Combivir to Truvada when given with Efavirenz, did not continure to lose limb fat and some patients regained some of their limb fat.

In January 2007, after the trial finished, I switched from Combivir to Truvada, within less than a month I felt better than I ever had done in my life, I had more energy than I knew what to do with and now almost two years on, my bum is round and full and my limbs are almost back to normal.  The effect of Combivir on my physical health was a gradual wearing down of my energy levels and slow thinning of my buttocks, limbs and face, this was starting to take its toll on my mental health, now I feel fantastic :)
Gary   ;D

Offline emeraldize

Re: SWEET Study feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 06:32:13 AM »
Congratulations Gary (and Gilead)! This is a great piece of news to read first thing in the morning. May you continue to feel good, be energetic and enjoy sitting on and strutting with that re-rounded bum!

Offline Robert

Re: SWEET Study feedback
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »
this is good news.  Thanks Gilead and GAry for participating and sharing the good news.

robt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.