Main Forums > Living With HIV

New Article Regarding Over Fifty HIV Population

(1/4) > >>

emeraldize:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-07-30-hiv-toll_x.htm

BB:
Interesting article and I could not agree more. One thing I'm beginning to see at my doctors office is selective hearing. They simply don't listen to my concerns if I cast negative information about my health or life. They only appear to be interested in anything positive and try to ignore the negative, even to the point of recording only the positive information and deflecting the negative information to age related issues. They haven't acknowledged the possibility HIV or the meds may make some other problems worse. 

BB

54 and aging

Portway:

--- Quote from: BB on July 31, 2006, 05:00:20 AM ---Interesting article and I could not agree more. One thing I'm beginning to see at my doctors office is selective hearing. They simply don't listen to my concerns if I cast negative information about my health or life. They only appear to be interested in anything positive and try to ignore the negative, even to the point of recording only the positive information and deflecting the negative information to age related issues. They haven't acknowledged the possibility HIV or the meds may make some other problems worse. 

BB

54 and aging

--- End quote ---

First off this is my first visit to this forum. And this article interests me the most.
Why??
Let me tell you a story. Keep sitting and get that coffee.
I am now approaching my 60th birthday. I was diagnosed at 50. At the time of being placed into a cancer ward (there was no other ward at that time) and told I had approx 4 days to live. Why you may ask did I let my health go so badly wrong. It was because of ignorance on my part and simply not knowing what was going wrong with me.
I was married (past tense) and had (another past tense) a daughter. My daughter was conceived when I still blissfully unaware of the doom that was coming my way. My wife died from AIDS when my daughter was 5 years old and my daughter died one year later. Both from AIDS and secondary to my ignorance.
In my 56th year I lost most all that I loved. I say most all, because I had another daughter who is still living and expecting my first grand child.
Since the horrific happenings in my life I have only one blessing left.
And because I am now nearly 60 the question arises as to how does the meds that have saved me so far effect my future.
Since I am on Retrovir and two other pills on a daily basis I have asked my doctor if the headaches I get are a result of these pills. The answer has been "maybe".
My headaches are getting worse but the good news is that all other functions are OK.
I once gave a Q & A session at a local high school about HIV and what it can bring. I told the truth and half the audience of mid teens were in tears at the end.
I still live a very active working life but is that all I have to look forward to in my private life???
At 60 and becoming a granddad is very exciting but I miss my wife and second daughter so much.
Yes all is not lost when you are 60. But there is NO private life.
If I sound confused it's because I am.
 :( :'(

aztecan:
Hey Portway,
Not to highjack the thread, but first, welcome to the forums and the family here. It is a great place to find support and to "let it all hang out," so to speak.

You have had more than your share of tragedies and I hope the people you meet here may help to at least take the edge off the void you now feel in your private life.

Now, regarding the article (even though it appeared in USA Today and is, as usual, short on particulars) I have often wondered if living with this bug hasn't contributed to some of the other maladies that seem to come with growing older.

I think we will hear a lot more about this as time passes.

HUGS,

Mark

Dachshund:
Yep Mark, as I enter my twilight years I often wonder is any particular ailment HIV related, age, or a combo of both. As the HIV population greys it becomes yet, one more thing to worry about. I can hear my HIV doc now, "shut up you old coot, and take your pills."

I'm 54, maybe we could start our own old folks home?

Hal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version