POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 10:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24010
  • Latest: menghi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 646704
  • Total Topics: 49269
  • Online Today: 276
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 164
Total: 166

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dendritic Cell Vaccine  (Read 2989 times)

Offline bobino

Dendritic Cell Vaccine
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:22:39 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had heard of any progress on the therapeutic dendritic cell vaccine.  I recall some stories in the press a year or more ago about a team of French and Brazilian researchers who had devised a therapeutic vaccine using dendritic cells.  Since the original stories, I haven't heard much about it, and I was wondering if this seemingly promising vaccine was being further pursued.

Thanks

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline sfpvguy41

Re: Dendritic Cell Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:32:55 AM »
I actually know quite about this, since I met the lead researcher (flew to Paris to do so) as I was so excited about it.  It is a terribly long story, but here is the jist of it.  I spent weeks researching this and trying to help to get the research moving along, including volunteering to take the vaccine.

Basically because of the nature of the research, it's not something you can easily do here in the US, or many first world countries.  You have to take someone who is HIV+ and not on meds, give them these injections which manipulate their immune systems, and see what happens.  The catch is who knows if the manipulation (while in theory harmless) could have some undue effect?  So as you can imagine it is a long road of certifications, approvals, etc. 

The lead researcher on this is a brilliant man.  He is the head of the oncology dept at Pasteur University Hospital in Paris, Jean-Marie Andrieu.  He has studied HIV/AIDS passionately for decades, but from the perspective of a cancer researcher, rather than a drug company.  It lead to a unique perspective.  Jean-Marie had been working on manipulating the dendritic cell response to treat certain types of cancer (which can also be caused by viruses) but decided HIV was "easier" (his words, I think because it is clearly caused by one virus).  Since his vaccine is neither "a cure" nor a prevention, but almost like a long term treatment, it's hard to get support from the establishment...and they view his work as an outsider.

So if Jean-Marie wanted to start a company to bring this vaccine to market, and get it through trials (which has only happened once with an HIV vaccine that I know of, full clinical trials), it's a huge commitment, and one he can't make.

To quote him again "the science works" - he thinks it's a done deal.

Last I talked to him, almost a year ago, he was relying on help from the Chinese government.  One of his primary researchers, named Lu, is Chinese.  I won't venture to say how they can test such things, but they promised lots of help, and the chance for clinical trials.  Jean-Marie felt they now knew how to elicit a stronger dendritic cell response, which he felt would lead to a greater protection than the Brazil studies, but the prep work takes millions of dollars of sophisticated equipment, a clean lab, etc, so it can't be set up easily nor cheaply. 

To my best knowledge, those studies were slated to begin in China, and are probably going on, but no results could be expected for a year to 18 month.

He also spoke of a collaboration with Baylor University, a researcher there who was studying the same science to protect against melanomas.  I don't know where that went.

If you're interested, I can contact him and see if I can get an update.  I wanted to post this much since so many of us were so excited by the Brazilian studies.  The press dismissed it as something that would cost $4-5K/person, and require booster shots every year.  Well hell, I know many of us would love to pay that for one shot a year and no other meds!  Jean-Marie knows that too.

Meanwhile if anyone reading this knows anything about how to get a vaccine to trial (and by this I mean finding a person who is available and willing to take the ball and run with it) I know that in the past he wanted that help.

Hope this helps shed light on a really, really complicated subject.
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline bobino

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:24:41 PM »
Dear Options,

Many, many, many thanks for your long and exhaustive post.  It's good to know that this research is not dead, but distressing to hear that Andrieu has to go as far as China to get funding and assistance.  One would think that Western governments might be willing to provide it given what is at stake.  Of course, if the Chinese come up with a breakthrough, I suspect most of us will be checking on line for the next flight to Beijing . . .

The major news media did seem quite dismissive of this story.  It got page one play here in San Francisco, but I think most other major papers really didn't trumpet this discovery.

Anyway, thanks again for letting us know where things stand.  And if you are still in touch with Andrieu, I'd love to know if he has any news to report.  So if you hear anything, please post it.  I think we'd all like to know.

John

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline sfpvguy41

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:04:32 AM »
I just got word back from him.  He says the trials of over 100 people are slated to start December in China.   But I don't think we'll hear anything, results-wise, for at least a year after that.  At least they're happening!
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »
comments ::    Other than the disinterest on part of the Medical establishment  getting anything of this sort through the testing that is required by most Western Countries  is almost miraculous...I was in the Govt  for over 20 yrs  and then worked for a Govt contrator for 15 more.....There is a huge  NIH ( not invented here ) factor.  The govts sponsor many many studies of all kinds , this one,  and others like it didn't make the cut for some reason.Probably because the proposal for funding was not "sold " properly to the right people.  Getting something that has been "proven" in a country like China  is a real low probability....Most Western Govts have this sensitivity to Human Testing  which apparently is required by this substance....Both ethically and economically they are trying to minimize exposure  (( no lawsuits or demonstrations in the streets )   I hope something like this really works but we will probably have to travel to Canada or Mexico to get treated.
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline bobino

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:55:28 PM »
Thanks, Options, I really appreciate your following up on this.  I'm glad to hear that the study will at least go forward, even if it is in China.  If this is a success, it would be terrific news.  Perhaps, as pozniceguy says, we'll have to travel to Canada or Mexico to get it.  But if it works, that seems to me to be a small price to pay.
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:40:02 AM by Inchlingblue »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.