HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Another oral sex question

(1/3) > >>

raider48:
I need help here. I did a really stupid thing last night. Got drunk and went to another guy's house that I had been chatting with on the internet and ended up giving him head. He didn't cum in my mouth but I suppose there probably was so pre-cum. Did this for about 20 minutes or so. I also brushed my teeth about 20 minutes or so before going over there and used mouthwash, didn't see any blood. He said he was clean but who knows? I'm pretty freaked out right now over my stupidity. Any comments would be appreciated...

Morgan:
Raider,

Performing fellatio without ejaculation carries a minuscule risk.  The mouth is a very inhospitable place for hiv.  Saliva actually inhibits hiv infection.  It is very rare for hiv infection to take place in the mouth.

Your risk is so low, I wouldn't even recommend testing.  You'd sooner win the lottery than become infected in this incident.

Morgan

raider48:
Morgan, thanks for the quick reply. This site is great as are the people on here. So you don't think I need testing? I hate the fact that I'm not smarter with this, I'm not a kid and should have been better informed and definetly made a better decision. I think rather than having anymore sex for awhile I'm going to educate myself first... I'm still sort of freaked out though, even though I'm reading through some other posts now and I do feel a bit better. Gosh I hope I can sleep, I didn't even lay down last night, I just paced all night... thanks

Morgan:
Raider,

This site is an excellent place to get up to speed where hiv is concerned. 

Morgan

Ann:
Raider,

I urge you to read through the Welcome Thread and follow the links found there.

In the transmission lesson, studies concerning oral sex are discussed. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but not for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. This shows us two things. One, condoms are very effective for the prevention of hiv transmission. Two, oral sex is much lower risk than previously believed. We now have the evidence that oral sex is a very low risk activity where hiv transmission is concerned.

While you do not need to test over this specific incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

If you do decide to test over this incident, wait at least six weeks because the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test postive by that point.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version