POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 06:45:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23730
  • Latest: lume
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642741
  • Total Topics: 48891
  • Online Today: 183
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 149
Total: 151

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Needlestick Injury, please help  (Read 5531 times)

Offline mcallic

Needlestick Injury, please help
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum, and have already lost my first attempt at posting, so bear with me. I am hoping you will be able to help me out. I am a cleaner, and whilst cleaning one of my clients houses sustained an injury from a needle, the vaccuum type, used to take blood,  the cap was on it loosly, but the seal was broken,  I knocked the tray it was on and it scratched my finger tip. The needle must ahve been there for a week -10 days as my clients are on holiday. I am very upset about this. The needle had no visable blood on it, either on the outside or up the hole in the centre of the needle. It cut rather than scraped my finger, like a paper cut, it was very sore, but didn't bleed, even when I squeezed it.
I know that Virus's like HIV and Hepatitis don't survive well outside the body, but this needle had a cap on, protecting it from light etc.
What I need to know is, am I at any risk of getting any virus's like HIV or hepatitis fom this incident? ( bearing in mind I don't know the status of anyone in the household, or if the needle was clean or dirty)
Has there been any documented cases of anyone getting HIV or Hepatitis outside a hospital or clinical setting from this sort of thing?
Obviously I have looked on the net, but havn't found anything concrete.
I hope someone can help, I'm a bit scared.
McAllice

Offline RapidRod

Re: Needlestick Injury, please help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »
No you were not at risk.

Offline mcallic

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:09:18 PM »
Is it no risk, cos I didn't bleed, or because of the time since it could have been used, or because there was no visable blood on the needle? Or all of these reasons?
I know its different to stabbing yourself with a fresh needle, and different from injecting drugs etc, but nether the less scary.
So I am hoping no documented cases of anything then? Cos i am guessing this is far from the first time this sort of thing has ahppened, afteralll, it happened to me.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »
You didn't have an injection. You had a scratch.

Offline mcallic

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:17:32 PM »
I know I didn't inject, but it broke my skin.
So is the reason I am not at risk, cos it didn't bleed?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
You didn't have a risk because you didn't inject anything into you.

Offline mcallic

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »
I know you are reassuring me, but even in a hospital where people have gotten HIV from a needlestick injury, they havn't injected in either, have they?
So in my case whats the difference between what happened to me, than what can happen in a hospital setting which makes it less of a risk?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 05:23:48 PM »
Hi mc

As Rod said there is no risk, to be at risk the needle would have to have fresh blood on it and penetrate severl layers of skin to get into the blood stream..this didn't happen in your case, so there is no need to worry about this..trust me I know about needle stick injuries.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mcallic

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
No need for a test then?
I am really scared.
I have read lots of conflicting information, some websites say Hepatitis for example can live for months, and beacuse I am not sure if the needle went right in or not, I am thinking worst case scenario here. All I have seen on the net is articles from newspaper's where kids have picked up a junkies needle, and are 'waiting for tests' but there doesn't seem to be much info out there on this sort of thing.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
mc,

Know why you never read newspaper articles about the outcome of those tests? Because none of the kids ever test positive. The whole hiv-needle-in-the-park thing is pretty much an urban myth.

A needle-stick injury in a medical setting is totally different to what happened to you. You didn't have a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mcallic

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 04:04:49 AM »
Can I ask something else, which I think might be on other people's minds as well,

I have read that if someone is co-infected with Hep C, that both HIV and Hep C are difficult to diagnose, Is this true, or are these cases rare? If it is, how are you supposed to know if you have caught anything?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 06:41:12 AM »
No that is not true.

Offline mcallic

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 06:53:57 AM »
So a standard 3 month antibody test would be conclusive, no matter what else you had picked up?
I am sorry about this, I am in a bit of a flap about things, and my mind is all over the place. I live in the UK, and intend to have a HIV DUO next week, at the 4 week mark, do you think this would provide conclusive results for me? I will also do a HCV antibodies at 3 months. I know you think it was a no risk event, but I really don't know how deep that needle went, or if it was clean or dirty, and won't be able to settle til I know for sure. I hope you understand.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »
What part of "You didn't have a risk" is it that you don't understand?

Offline mcallic

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 07:34:39 AM »
What I don't understand is, that if a kid pricks themselves on a needle found in a park or wherever, then they are screened, arn't they? Or given PEP.

So with that logic, that's why I think I would need to be screened, just in case.

I know I didn't see any blood on the needle, but it was opened, why would it be open if it was clean and sterile, it wouldn't would it?

Can you explain why I am not at risk, instead of just saying 'no risk', perhaps that would help me to understand. I know you can be irritated by someone who thinks they are at risk when they are not, but honestly I am asking for some help here.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:46:55 AM »
No that is not true, people are given PEP for a known exposure.  How about the person didn't realize that they already had one open? How many times do we have to explain to you why you were not at risk? Try reading the replies that you were given.

Offline mcallic

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »
No one has actually said why its no risk, and you're obviously not going to tell me. Anyone who can tell me, it'd help me get some sleep tonight.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »
anniebc did answer you. Read her reply.

Offline mcallic

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
Yes, I suppose she did, no fresh blood on needle, and not a deep wound. I am not sure how deep it was you see, I think I am just scared. I know lots of people are about this. There's so much conflicting info out there. The CDC says its a risk if you find a needle as well, so that doesn't help does it?

Offline mcallic

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 03:48:31 PM »
Hi again,
I have just been reading your responses to other threads, for example about the needle found on the beach, I don't want to bring their thread into mine, so to cut to the chase, you said to read the lesson on transmission, I have read that lesson, and I don't think it mentions discarded syringes or needles at all! So not sure how that helps.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 03:54:47 PM »
mc,

The transmission lesson lists the ways a person might become infected with hiv. Discarded needles don't appear because they are not a route through which transmission happens. It just doesn't.

I hope you read the posting guidelines in the Welcome thread while you were there, particularly this one:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mcallic

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »
OK Ann, Thank you. Its not easy. I know to be sure I will have to wait the 12 weeks, which takes me to December the 9th. I am lucky there is somewhere in my home town I can go for drop in session to get a test, so I'll do that, and hopefully put this whole sorry mess behind me. Thank you for your patience.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.