Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

Broken Teeth

<< < (2/2)

leatherman:

--- Quote from: pozhealthy on October 12, 2008, 09:34:48 PM ---how horrible are dentures? just wondering.

--- End quote ---

they aren't as horrible as having no front teeth or not being able to chew your food ;), so I give them a big thumbs up on nutrition intake ability and cosmetic function - which are good for health and self-esteem.  ;D Really though, dentures are not as bad as you think. I guess it's just the stigma of "being old and having false teeth" that makes them so tough a concept to deal with.

First the dentist made an impression of my remaining teeth and a mold was made correcting the defects. In about a week the dentures had been manufactured. An oral surgeon had me take a valium beforehand (woohoo! fun drugs not another hiv med :D ) and then shot me up with something when I got into the chair. Within seconds, I felt like I was asleep, though they tell me the med doesn't totally knock you out. I only have a vague memory of the doctor tugging at a tooth (if you've ever had just Novocaine to have a tooth pulled, this was way easier). Only seeming to me just a few minutes later, a nurse was waking me and asking me to move to another couch (to recover and wake up) until I was ready to leave. (oh don't worry. they don't let you leave with a driver ;) I fell back asleep on the way home)

When I had gone "under" I had most of my teeth, though not all, and many were in disrepair. When I was more awake about 10 mins later, I smiled at myself in a mirror and saw the smile I had in my 20s. True my jaws were sore, my cheeks were puffy, and my mouth was packed with cotton; but just seeing a smile that wasn't about to break and knowing that I could go back to eating "regular" food made it worth about a week of recovery (the first 3 days were the worst with some pain) eating a lot of mashed potatoes and soup (though "eating" made not be the right word to describe ingesting those items for dinner LOL).

So though the process was not entirely pain free, it wasn't all that bad, as you have to expect some irritation associated with a surgical process. To be honest, any pain and discomfort I had from acquiring the dentures (including the pain in my wallet LOL) was totally offset within a week from being able to eat WHATEVER I wanted and from being able to go in public, speaking, smiling, eating, laughing without the constant fear of losing another tooth - not to mention the immediate boost in self-esteem!

At first I was a little anxious about my new teeth; but soon I was eating nearly everything (apples and corn on the cob are a little tough to handle but I just bite down harder. LOL although I had to give up my 30 yr habit of biting my fingernails) And it was a good thing too that was I able to eat again. I had just been in the hospital twice in two years (with PCP and pneumonia), along with a lot of AIDS wasting. Part of my recovery from that was to eat and now I was equipped.  ;) Two months later, screaming on a roller coaster - without my teeth flying out of my head  :o - and I got over any remaining nervousness and haven't had a problem with them for nearly 10 yrs.

;D mikie

Moffie65:
There seems to be a correlation between HIV and tooth/bone health.  I cannot do the connections with the meds, because the HIV seems to be the biggest culprit.  I know Arizona has recently acquired a bang up dental contract that covers us very well, and I have really good dental care now.  For those of you who don't  have good insurance, check with your ASO and see if they can cover you.

Dental is now a required line item for Ryan White because of the connection to HIV, so everyone should be covered, if you fit into the earnings guidelines for your State. 

Currently one broken tooth, one crown, and one removal, all connected with HIV. 

bear60:
Its really hard for me to read some of these posts, because some hit home. But some dont.
My dentist has seen HIV lead to gum disease in some of his patients, which can cause tooth loss. 
Some of the drugs of the 80's caused bone density loss ( I am not well versed in this ).
But, serious problems with teeth does not happen in three months of being HIV poz.  If someone is suddenly having problems with their teeth this has had to be a long term problem.  Complications can be drug use such as meth, coke and smoking.  I know someone who had ALL of his teeth replaced with implants.... he was HIV poz....and a meth addict.
Stress causes grinding of teetth, and I wear a night guard which has saved my teeth from total disaster.
So, come on, a rise in CD4 count will not "stop" teeth problems.

deibster:
Hello all,
  I've never had a tooth problem. My gums have receded some, so I'm careful to take care of my teeth and go to the hygienist three times a year. I do take calcium with vitamin D in it, as I was headed towards osteoporosis. I started on AZT & have been on HART since the beginning. Obviously, I have good genes, as far as teeth are concerned. I don't know what explains the rest of it.

My problem is lipodystrophy, no fat layer at all in my forearms or lower legs. I've ended up in the clinic several times because the skin tears so easily on my legs.
Hugs, Deibster

Theyer:
Horrible gum and teeth and Dentist problems since first chemo in 2000 , exacerbated by off all things side effect off drug for osteoporosis , teeth cleaning always painfull,
Next dental appointment 22 Oct so I think you may all get familiar with it all.
Oh hateful mouth off mine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version