POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:15:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636428
  • Total Topics: 48301
  • Online Today: 258
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Best Country to Live Well with HIV?  (Read 5651 times)

Online mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Best Country to Live Well with HIV?
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:19:44 AM »
Anyone know a ranking like this?

Which country offers the highest possible quality of life for people with HIV/AIDS?

Rankings are notoriously subjective. So it might be worthless to consider a rank such as this.
However  - when the public takes them seriously - concerned officials sometimes take ranks seriously.

Maybe some rich countries could be shamed into doing better???

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Iggy

Re: Best Country to Live Well with HIV?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:23:59 AM »
I don't think it's as simple as just placing countries in a ranking as best or worst (outside of extremes of worst) in regards to those with HIV.

Even within the United States there is great disparities between areas of the country and even different parts of the same state.

For a view of the world right now in regards to the epidemic, you may want to look at the UNAIDS 2008 Country monitoring progress reports which offers reports as submitted by the individual countries as well as outside entities.

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:35:02 AM »
well my only experience with the government and AIDS

has been  Las Vegas Nevada 25 years ! , and 

the OZARK MOUNTAINS  of Southern Missouri !

BOTH  have offered the MOST of the MOSTEST !

Las Vegas is VERY rich money wise , Missouri not quite as rich in places !

BUT THE CARE IS OUT THERE !

VOTE OBAMA ,AND THINGS WILL GET BETTER HERE IN THE USA  :)
                                                                      Karl
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:18:17 PM by weasel »
" Live and let Live "

Offline auspoz

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
While I can't put a ranking on the best, I'm very glad I live in Australia as I know it's not the worst.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
People I know personally that are HIV+ are well taken care of... and they're in the US.  Some have private insurance and others don't.  I think it's a bit more difficult, with a country the size of the US, to have much of anything consistent.  A person living in the middle of Kansas (ie middle of nowhere, no offense to anybody from Kansas) is unlikely to have similar experiences of a person living in NYC.  Not only do the various states have different programs, but services vary from county to county and city to city within a given state.  I think that what you've asked would be better posed as "Best Area to Live Well with HIV?"

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »
2 words: not america!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
2 words: not america!

That's the answer he wanted to hear.

Rankings are notoriously subjective. So it might be worthless to consider a rank such as this.
However  - when the public takes them seriously - concerned officials sometimes take ranks seriously.

Sometimes as in hypothetically? or as in trying to win votes at election time? Because nobody's talking about HIV/AIDS in America this month except for us.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »
Cuba is said to have better healthcare than the USA but I personally wouldn't want to live in Cuba.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
The answer to your questions depends on how you rate different factors that comprise your quality of life.  It will be different for everyone.  If you are talking about access to affordable healthcase, well, clearly that's one specific topic to discuss.

To my knowledge, there's no Forbes Magazine rating of the Best Places to Live for People with HIV/AIDS.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
The correct answer is: Andorra
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 03:49:49 PM »
That's the answer he wanted to hear.

Sometimes as in hypothetically? or as in trying to win votes at election time? Because nobody's talking about HIV/AIDS in America this month except for us.

Of the 52 Counties in California, 6 have Title I funding support for people who have no other way of paying for their care.  Sacramento (the State Capital), Santa Clara (Do you know the way to San Jose Jose) and Sonoma County lost their Title I funding in 2007.  Sonoma County lost $1.7 million per year.  When you lose that amount of funding from any organization, cuts in services will be made.  Having served on the Funding Allocation Working Group, we (persons living with HIV) had to make the decisions on which services to reduce or eliminate.  We were given 4 dollar amount scenarios to work with and ended up with 1/2 of our lowest possible dollar amount to work with.

A recent letter from The Center for HIV Prevention and Care stated that we may be billed for services which otherwise could have been paid for by the RWCA.  They can bill a person but at the time say they will take no collection activity.

There were 5 candidates for 5th Supervisorial District last March.  The 5th District is the Russian River area, all candidates promised quality healthcare for all as a major concern.  The run-off will be on November 4th with 2 candidates still in the running.

I sent both Candidates the same email question on how and if funding for HIV is important to them and what they would do to guarantee continued funding in HIV services.  Myself and Rick Dean, Director of our ASO presented to the Board of Supervisors when they rubber stamped approval of the RWCA Reauthorization Act, two years ago.  Rubber stamp approvals are no longer enough and "quality healthcare for all" is a political catch phrase, while there have been another 100 or so new HIV diagnosis clients added to the ASO and the AIDS Food Bank for Sonoma County in the past year.

Creighton mon dear, you are correct, we are the only ones talking about HIV during this election.  My Candidates have failed to respond to my questions and the quality and level of care are about as "grass roots as we are going to get.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
Uhm, I'd use one of my lifelines, Katie.

:D
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Online mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »
Thanks Iggy,

for the liink to the UNAIDS info.  Kind of along the lines I was thinking.

Farfetched and ridiculous as it sounds, a well-thought piece in an respected and mass market magazine, such as Forbes, or Time, etc, would get people thinking, at a time when in the USA as some have noted, the political discussion of the HIV/AIDS challenge has disappeared... And that in a year in which the CDC announced chronic underreporting of HIV rates????

Lots of interesting posts in my opinion.

I agree "best area" would often make more sense than best country.

Interesting that 1 (maybe 2) posters were thinking I was fishing for anti-American statements???

For what its worth - I have an American passport (among others) and I LOVE AMERICA.

I'm not fishing for anything.

(Universal health care would help me love America even more, however....)

If I had to choose all quality of life issues, perhaps a nice sunny climate with great hospitals, garanteed health access, and great beaches...  And the lowest public stigma possible.  If only Berlin were on the Mediterranean.

Cuba??? Well didn't the government lock up POZ people for many many years???

Best to all!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:01:41 PM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »
Mecch - Define "best" pls.

I think there are two factors to take into account:

1. Availability and cost of healthcare
2. The stigma and discrimination of HIV+ people

Factor 1 is easy to measure, factor 2 much less so. I am very satisfied with the healthcare I get here in Sweden. It is free and the personnel working at "my" hospital are very competent.

What I can't say is if the attitudes towards HIV+ is better here than other countries. All I know is that they still have a lot of room for improvement.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 08:04:11 AM »
Mecch - Define "best" pls.

I think there are two factors to take into account:

1. Availability and cost of healthcare
2. The stigma and discrimination of HIV+ people

Factor 1 is easy to measure, factor 2 much less so. I am very satisfied with the healthcare I get here in Sweden. It is free and the personnel working at "my" hospital are very competent.

What I can't say is if the attitudes towards HIV+ is better here than other countries. All I know is that they still have a lot of room for improvement.
A few other factors to be considered:

• Community awareness (and this certainly has it's variables)
  • The areas (country/region/etc) cultural attitudes about HIV/AIDS
  • Mental Health services
  • The availability of clean water and healthy foods
  • Access to other poz people in face to face settings.
  • Availability of well trained physicians who keep abreast of latest news

There are a further list of criteria that could also be conceived on this list that have nothing to do with HIV.  Why?  Because we are not just looking for a place to live and be this HIV inanimate object, but human beings who don't exist solely in regards to the virus.

Therefore I would also add a few factors that are not so readily linked to HIV but certainly have an effect on the quality of life for those living with it:

• Employment options
  • Safety net for those who don't have good job options.
  • Availability of Arts and culture
  • Political Environment
  • Racial makeup (and perceptions of racial identity) in an area
  • Ditto to religious/sexual orientation issues as well.
  • local environmental/weather factors
  • Education opportunities
  • Taxes
  • Government funds for retiree's and disability.

And this is the problems with Rankings idea in general.  They examine data for a specific item in a vacuum of the world around them; Until the day comes that HIV itself can be isolated and removed from our bodies, and I would have the ability to send it away to whatever place I think it would be best taken care of - it and me are stuck together for a long time, and out interests and needs rarely have much in common.

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 07:01:37 PM »
I do appreciate this subject, some friends of mine have thrown it around hypothetically.  While I really can't imagine not living in the US, fact is I have dual citizenship thanks to my Mom having been born in Ireland.  Now I've only been to Ireland once (about 10 years ago) and it was more for visiting my Mom's homeland, soaking up the gorgeous Irish countryside, kissing the Blarney Stone, and finding my name as the owner of an off-track betting shop (it was owned by my grandfather who passed away years before I was born, but I'm the eldest male in the family branch, though I get no money from it).  But I had no contact with any HIV community there, didn't even try to find a gay pub.  (Though we did pass a place called "The Pink Potato" but no, it wasn't a gay bar.)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.