POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 03:44:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23381
  • Latest: Jon24
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636966
  • Total Topics: 48355
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 150
Total: 155

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help!!!!  (Read 1739 times)

Offline CWD6474

• 38 year old gay male
    • TulsaChip
Help!!!!
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:48:29 PM »
I have had the same problem now, for going on a year, however I am not on Atripla. I have lost 40 pounds, I live in the bathroom, and still no results.

I was diagnosed as having MAC (mycoavium bacterium complex) This is why my doc says I go and go and go and go.  I have been on the antibiotics along with my regular drugs and still no stopping the going and going and going.

The only way I am able to function is I am spending over $80.00 a month on Imodium AD. If anyone can help me, please feel free.  I will take all advice.

I am on
Lexiva, Viread, Combivir, Prednisone, Potassium, , Xifaxin, and Bactrim.

Please help if you can
Grinch

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 12:06:57 AM »
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with this..I'm sure you have looked this up already but it's all I can give you..I googled this but not sure if it's any help to you.

"Treatment for MAC involves taking a combination of antibiotics. MAC treatment must include at least two drugs, one of which should be either clarithromycin or azithromycin. Ethambutol is the recommended second drug. Rifabutin, ciprofloxacin, or amikacin may be added for people with more severe MAC. All of the drugs are pills except amikacin, which is given intravenously (IV).

In cases where people with MAC either do not respond to treatment at all or relapse after first responding to treatment, many doctors recommend a type of drug test that checks to see if the medications will work on the type of MAC a person has. This is called a drug susceptibility test. Susceptible means that the drugs will likely work, while resistant means that the drugs probably will not work. Susceptibility testing is recommended mainly for clarithromycin, azithromycin, and rifabutin, though other drugs might be tested as well.

MAC and the drugs used for treatment are hard on the body. You might consider visiting a nutritionist when you are first diagnosed with MAC so you can keep your weight up and prevent wasting. There are also medications available to help ease common MAC symptoms such pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, so do not be shy in asking for them".

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
Hey mate,

The antibiotics that you are taking could be contributing greatly to your problem.  Yoghurt with the right cultures or even culture supplements can help.  So can fiber and calcium supplements and as Annie says a dietitian will have professional advice.

Some people I know take their Immodium half an hour before they take their HIV meds - this can improve things greatly.  Boosted Lexiva is highly associated with gastro side effects - you might be able to discuss switching this component of your meds.  The AZT in combivir could be contributing as well.  Once the diarrhoea improves you should start to put on weight.

Here is a cool fact sheet - http://positivelife.org.au/factsheet/17

Here is another resource on managing side effects that includes an easy and inexpensive home-made rehydration formula - http://www.afao.org.au/library_docs/resources/Managing_Side_Effects.pdf

hope things improve soon.
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline Jacques

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:04:06 AM »
I'm not sure that the Xifaxan/Bactrim combo is a good  strategie for treating Mac. Those antibiotics are generally used to treat other kinds of infections. As Jan said in her post, clarithromycin or azithromycin ascociated with  Ethambutol  is the recommended first line treatment for Mac. Maybe you should review this with your doctor.

Jacques
Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:29:03 AM »
I was diagnosed with tuberculosis, an infection quite similar to MAC (as I understand it), a few months ago after a weight loss of around 40-45 pounds accompanied by complete loss of appetite.  Sometimes I wonder how the doctors could distinguish whether it was TB or MAC, as there was no actual testing done and the symptoms were similar - I had no lung troubles, though I never had any diarrhea at all.

I'm not expert but I think the antibiotic regimens for MAC are similar to those for TB.  I can report that within a week of beginning the standard regimen I felt great, appetite returned,  and I began to gain weight immediately.  So perhaps the docs evaluated their diagnosis by the success of treatment, or perhaps the treatment (rifampicin, isoniazid, ethambutol, and pyrazinamide) worked regardless of which bacterium/illness it was/is.

As far as I know these treatments are generally pretty effective, with a success rate in the 90%+ range, so I hope you can be treated.  I'm just a month away from the end of my six month short course and all is well.  TB doc says six months enough, hiv docs say go for nine months because we hiv-ers are more prone to the disease coming back.. I'll probably opt for the 'safer' option of the nine months if TB doc allows.

I have to admit that I still have a great deal of anxiety about whether this could be misdiagnosed MAC, and that the TB treatment might just be making it sort of 'in remission', only to come thundering back when treatment ends. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:34:04 AM by LordBerners »
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:33:09 AM »
CWD -- we've got a great lesson here on MAC that's been reviewed by HIV medical experts, so it's well worth a read, and even worth printing out for your doctor:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/MAC_6710.shtml
(first page of multipage lesson -- click "next" for next page)

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
Antibiotics kills the "good" bacteria in your gut and can lead to irregular bowel habits so you need to replace it with a probiotic. I use the powder form (usually acidophillus) and add it to water I am drinking.  Of course, talk to your Dr first before you try it.

j
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »
CWD6474,

I'm not sure what type of prescription insurance coverage you have, but there is a prescription Loperamide (Immodium) that you might ask your doctor to write for and you might not have to spend so much.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline CWD6474

• 38 year old gay male
    • TulsaChip
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:01:42 PM »
I want to say thanks for all of the help that you have offered, and the kind words, and I will give it and everything a shot and let you all know what happens.

Thanks again.
Grinch

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.