POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:57:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640693
  • Total Topics: 48667
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 203
Total: 209

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My First Labs  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Eyesing

My First Labs
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:03:45 PM »
Well, they are only partial, the genotype test won't be done for a couple weeks yet... and I'm not sure what the (%) number I see a lot of you use is, but here is what I do understand...

CD4 - 593
VL - 119,356 (ouch)

I seroconverted (I believe) sometime around February or March, and my doctor said that my VL could have been very very high during my conversion and so there is a possibility that my VL is still dropping.  Would that be normal for it to remain elevated so long?  I have heard that the strain predominant in Thailand (where I got this wonderful thing) is known to progress fast, so I was afraid I would see numbers like this.

My partner who seroconverted (we believe) in April, was showing numbers like CD4 800+ and VL 200... I was hoping for numbers like that, but I guess it wasn't my day.  My seroconversion was much worse than his I think... I think I had a bad sinus infection and my conversion at the same time, so it was pretty bad.

Hepatitis A&B vaccinations were good... and Hep C was negative.

My sodium levels and everything else on here was in the normal range.

Any comments?  I went back on Zoloft and Klonopin yesterday (which I had been off for a year or so) because I have general anxiety disorder and this wasn't helping me any... lol  My doctor was trying to stress that my numbers aren't terrible, but she was making it clear they are nothing to celebrate either since my infection is only about 8 months old.

Thoughts???

PS - now I just gotta meditate my way through the next couple of weeks and pray that my genotype tests don't show I have some crazy strain that is crazy resistant  :-[

Oh... and in keeping with the chain of weird events that me and my partner have been experiencing when getting test results back... the nurse originally grabbed the wrong paper off of the printer, and started telling me my CD4 was 900+ and my VL was <48... hahaha  She said it, and I jumped out of my chair... and then she said, 'um... something's not right, I'll be right back..."   Ugh!!!  I wanted to punch her. lol

Offline Eyesing

Re: My First Labs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
Oh, and according to my doctor... my partner's results are in the realm of where it is still possible he might get a negative result on a confirmatory test.  I have to find somewhere in bkk that does western blot though... it doesn't sound like he's actually gotten that test done yet, they keep doing actual blood work on him instead.  So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for him still!

I didn't get my confirmatory test back yet... but my doctor said I should expect a positive confirmation based on my numbers... no surprise there. ;(

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:30:28 PM »
Those #'s aren't bad at all. After being infected for only 2 months my cd4 was 585 and VL was 99,000.
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline Eyesing

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply, looks like we are pretty similar.  The nurse that originally ran over my numbers with me today actually thought the doctor would probably start meds for me (it looks like you started when you were at this point?), but like I said she wanted to wait a few weeks and do one more test first to see which way things are going.

How much can these numbers change in 3 weeks?  I'm really going to be anxious, because if my VL flies through the roof now in the next few weeks I'll be a wreck!  LoL

Offline randym431

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 04:46:34 AM »
I'd go with meds asap.
That vl will be zapped, and your cd4 is good, so you can side step nasty things like pcp and other not so fun stuff.
I had a friend that got pcp with a cd4 of 500.
On meds, in 6 months you'll be surprised how fast those numbers will improve.
Your cd4 could easily reach the 600-800 mark very soon.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 05:16:52 AM »
There is no reason of being on meds at this time. Your doctor with give you several labs before recommending medications.

Offline Eyesing

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »
I'm nervous as hell, I'm kind of a hypochondriac even before this, so I was kinda freaking when she showed me that... but she's been doing this for over 20 years, so I trust her.  She said she could go either way right now, but just wanted one more test, and said that there was no need to hit the panic button yet.

I don't know, I haven't read anything about someone having an elevated VL that was still going down 6 months or so after their seroconversion... but I'm not the doctor... I try to tell myself that. LoL  Besides that, we have to wait another week for the genotype testing, which is another thing I'm nervous of... I hope I finally get some GOOD news when I get those test results and medication will be easy should I need to go on it.

Do I have to wait a full month to do another set of labs? LoL  I don't want to find out my numbers have gotten 10x worse by then... so scared! :(  Plus now I'm on two anxiety meds, because I think I am starting to feel like ass... and I know at least half of that is just my anxiety.

Ok sorry to ramble... it's rough right now... I was really hoping to be one of those people that could at least go for 5 years or so without meds to give myself time to adjust to being positive and then go from there... but it looks like I might be jumping head first into this... AND I am moving back overseas in 6 weeks, and I'm just praying I don't need meds before then because we're not even sure exactly which meds I can get the cheapest there (they are allowed to make some generic versions of certain medicines over there - something to do with world health organization laws regarding health crisis and such...)

anyway thanks for the comments :):):)

Offline Eyesing

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
BTW... is there any point at which my CD4 will never fully recover?  Or have they figured out what that point is yet?  I definitely don't want to wait until I'm too far gone to start my meds.

-basket case hehe

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
You have plenty of time to adjust to being positive..   Relax..

Eric

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.