POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2014, 01:27:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639908
  • Total Topics: 48584
  • Online Today: 173
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 153
Total: 157

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Acyclovir -- One Reason Why I'm Still Alive?  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Acyclovir -- One Reason Why I'm Still Alive?
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:12:49 AM »
See my latest blog posting on this fascinating new study:

http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2008/09/acyclovir_one_r.html

If you comment here, please cut & paste your comment below my blog posting as well.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Acyclovir -- One Reason Why I'm Still Alive?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »
I wish they still made Zovirax cream . Once in awhile I get a cold sore that can become quite handsome . If I put Zovirax cream on at the first tingle that every one knows that's had a cold sore it will make it go away before it even turns red . 

Offline Finnboy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
I wish they still made Zovirax cream .

They do here in the UK. I can send you a supply; but what is bootleg Zovirax worth to you?  :P

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »
Peter,

Earlier today I came across an article at Aidsmap on this same study. There are some additional facts in the Aidsmap version so it's worth having a look.

Herpes drug has direct anti-HIV effect, could offer cheap addition to antiretroviral therapy for developing world

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
They do here in the UK. I can send you a supply; but what is bootleg Zovirax worth to you?  :P

I bet my American part d insurance isn't good in England  ;D

I rarely get the cold sores since I moved away from chicago to a warmer climate for some reason .
I take the pills if I have them if I feel one coming on , but they upset my tummy and don't seem to work as well for me .

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
I may be wrong but I think my GP put me on Acyclovir along with AZT in the 80's .
He was and still is willing to go " off label " with meds if he thinks it may be beneficial .   

Offline edfu

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »
Valaciclovir (Valtrex) is a pro-drug of acyclovir.  Does this study's ramifications also apply to it?

Valtrex is still proprietary, so it costs more than acyclovir, which is available generically. Its greatest asset is that it needs to be taken only once a day, whereas acyclovir needs to taken at least twice a day (for prophylaxis). 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 10:22:18 PM »
whereas acyclovir needs to taken at least twice a day (for prophylaxis).

I take 400mgs once a day with no problems. With my doctor's blessings. It works for me and it's easy to check it out to see if it works for you as well.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline edfu

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »
Thanks, Ann.  Obviously, that works OK for you.  I was simply pointing out the "standard recommended" prophylactic dosage, which is 400 mg. twice a day.  I was taking 400 mg. once a day, and when I changed doctors, the second doctor was horrified and told me that such a dosage could cause resistance to acyclovir.  Eventually, he recommended that I switch to Valtrex. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Finnboy

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 02:05:34 AM »
Valaciclovir (Valtrex) is a pro-drug of acyclovir.  Does this study's ramifications also apply to it

Yes. By the time valaciclovir has been broken down by your body, the active ingredient that hits your bloodstream (and any herpesvirus-infected tissues) is still aciclovir; but at higher levels than would have been possible had you just swallowed aciclovir / acyclovir. The downside of that delivery method is that it can be harder on the kidneys.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 02:23:25 AM by Finnboy »

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »
Peter,

See my latest blog posting on this fascinating new study:

http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2008/09/acyclovir_one_r.html

If you comment here, please cut & paste your comment below my blog posting as well.

Thanks for reading!

Interesting. I tested positive for both HSV1 and HSV2 earlier this year. I have never had any symptoms of either yet. I just wanted to have a complete STD panel and never had been tested for either. I am not on ARV at this point.
Would it still be a good idea for me to be on acyclovir for prophylaxis ?

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »
Peter,

Interesting. I tested positive for both HSV1 and HSV2 earlier this year. I have never had any symptoms of either yet. I just wanted to have a complete STD panel and never had been tested for either. I am not on ARV at this point.
Would it still be a good idea for me to be on acyclovir for prophylaxis ?

I'd say no.  If you start getting outbreaks, then yes, but until then, I wouldn't bother.  While acyclovir's antiviral effects are interesting, they aren't confirmed yet by other scientists.  Also, if it DOES act like an NRTI, then you'd be on monotherapy, which is a no-no.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.