POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 05:54:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649801
  • Total Topics: 49594
  • Online Today: 284
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What to Do With Hotel Soap  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Roie

What to Do With Hotel Soap
« on: September 11, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
What to Do With Hotel Soap
The following letters are taken from an actual incident between a London hotel and one of its guests. The Hotel ended up submitting the letters to the London Sunday Times!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Maid,

Please do not leave any more of those little bars of soap in my bathroom since I have brought my own bath-sized Dial. Please remove the six unopened little bars from the shelf under the medicine chest and another three in the shower soap dish. They are in my way.

Thank you,
S. Berman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Room 635,

I am not your regular maid. She will be back tomorrow, Thursday, from her day off. I took the 3 hotel soaps out of the shower soap dish as you requested. The 6 bars on your shelf I took out of your way and put on top of your Kleenex dispenser in case you should change your mind. This leaves only the 3 bars I left today which my instructions from the management is to leave 3 soaps daily. I hope this is satisfactory.

Kathy,
Relief Maid

Dear Maid - I hope you are my regular maid.

Apparently Kathy did not tell you about my note to her concerning the little bars of soap. When I got back to my room this evening I found you had added 3 little Camays to the shelf under my medicine cabinet. I am going to be here in the hotel for two weeks and have brought my own bath-size Dial so I won't need those 6 little Camays which are on the shelf. They are in my way when shaving, brushing teeth, etc. Please remove them.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

My day off was last Wed. so the relief maid left 3 hotel soaps which we are instructed by the management. I took the 6 soaps which were in your way on the shelf and put them in the soap dish where your Dial was. I put the Dial in the medicine cabinet for your convenience. I didn't remove the 3 complimentary soaps which are always placed inside the medicine cabinet for all new check-ins and which you did not object to when you checked in last Monday. Please let me know if I can of further assistance.

Your regular maid,
Dotty

Dear Mr. Berman,

The assistant manager, Mr. Kensedder, informed me this morning that you called him last evening and said you were unhappy with your maid service. I have assigned a new girl to your room. I hope you will accept my apologies for any past inconvenience. If you have any future complaints please contact me so I can give it my personal attention. Call extension 1108 between 8AM and 5PM. Thank you.

Elaine Carmen
Housekeeper

Dear Miss Carmen,

It is impossible to contact you by phone since I leave the hotel for business at 7:45 AM and don't get back before 5:30 or 6PM. That's the reason I called Mr. Kensedder last night. You were already off duty. I only asked Mr. Kensedder if he could do anything about those little bars of soap. The new maid you assigned me must have thought I was a new check-in today, since she left another 3 bars of hotel soap in my medicine cabinet along with her regular delivery of 3 bars on the bath-room shelf. In just 5 days here I have accumulated 24 little bars of soap. Why are you doing this to me?

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

Your maid, Kathy, has been instructed to stop delivering soap to your room and remove the extra soaps. If I can be of further assistance, please call extension 1108 between 8AM and 5PM.Thank you,

Elaine Carmen,
Housekeeper

Dear Mr. Kensedder,

My bath-size Dial is missing. Every bar of soap was taken from my room including my own bath-size Dial. I came in late last night and had to call the bellhop to bring me 4 little Cashmere Bouquets.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

I have informed our housekeeper, Elaine Carmen, of your soap problem. I cannot understand why there was no soap in your room since our maids are instructed to leave 3 bars of soap each time they service a room. The situation will be rectified immediately. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Martin L. Kensedder
Assistant Manager

Dear Mrs. Carmen,

Who the hell left 54 little bars of Camay in my room? I came in last night and found 54 little bars of soap. I don't want 54 little bars of Camay. I want my one damn bar of bath-size Dial. Do you realize I have 54 bars of soap in here. All I want is my bath size Dial. Please give me back my bath-size Dial.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

You complained of too much soap in your room so I had them removed. Then you complained to Mr. Kensedder that all your soap was missing so I personally returned them. The 24 Camays which had been taken and the 3 Camays you are supposed to receive daily. I don't know anything about the 4 Cashmere Bouquets. Obviously your maid, Kathy, did not know I had returned your soaps so she also brought 24 Camays plus the 3 daily Camays. I don't know where you got the idea this hotel issues bath-size Dial. I was able to locate some bath-size Ivory which I left in your room.

Elaine Carmen
Housekeeper

Dear Mrs. Carmen,

Just a short note to bring you up-to-date on my latest soap inventory. As of today I possess:

On the shelf under medicine cabinet - 18 Camay in 4 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of 2.
On the Kleenex dispenser - 11 Camay in 2 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of 3.
On the bedroom dresser - 1 stack of 3 Cashmere Bouquet, - 1 stack of 4 hotel-size Ivory, and 8 Camay in 2 stacks of 4.
Inside the medicine cabinet - 14 Camay in 3 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of 2.
In the shower soap dish - 6 Camay, very moist.
On the northeast corner of tub - 1 Cashmere Bouquet, slightly used.
On the northwest corner of tub - 6 Camays in 2 stacks of 3.
Please ask Kathy when she services my room to make sure the stacks are neatly piled and dusted. Also, please advise her that stacks of more than 4 have a tendency to tip. May I suggest that my bedroom window sill is not in use and will make an excellent spot for future soap deliveries. One more item, I have purchased another bar of bath-sized Dial which I am keeping in the hotel vault in order to avoid further misunderstandings.

S. Berman

Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline jennynyc7

Re: What to Do With Hotel Soap
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »
Oh my goodness! This is great! Thanks for sharing!
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »
 :o

I have to ask,

Jenny what did you do with hotel soap before you read this thread?

MtD

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
I take every bar of soap I can get and give as souvenirs of my trip.  I know, I know, you don't have to tell me how thoughtful I am.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »
I take every bar of soap I can get and give as souvenirs of my trip.

So we've been told, Woodsy. :)

MtD

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »
ROFL...

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »
So funny but typical. I have many similar (not this funny) email chains in my work inbox.

Last week I stayed at doubletree Boston, for the first time in my hotel stays that I found small size netrogena (my favorate brand) face lotion with SPF, and foam face wash! Maid took away the usused portion the next day and gave me new ones so I started to hide the unused ones every morning, now I have enough supply for 2-3 weeks hotel stay and I can bring them onto my flights as carry on!
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:50:18 AM »
I use them to clean people's mouth's out-such as yours!

Mucho luv.

J
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
                cd4=1250
                cd4=1172 (55%)

cd4=1234

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »
Dear Jenny

Aside from washing peoples' mouths out, although that is a great way to deploy those bite-size bars, here's what I did with hotel/motel stuff when I travelled more.

I was a member of a women's service organization and many of us traveled in our professional lives. And, most of us had odd assortments of collected toiletries from hotels along the way. I suggested we speak with the local women's shelter and find out what women needed most when coming into the shelter with their kids and only their clothes on their backs.

What we learned is that if we added a washcloth, toothbrush, comb to the containers of shampoo, conditioner, soap, moisturizer, q-tips, etc. that we had, we could supply the basics they needed. We spoke to a dental supply rep, got free toothbrushes, bought washcloths, kleenex packs, combs and ziplock bags.

We pooled all of our stuff. Then, we held one meeting where we set up an assembly line and created 145 bags of toiletries and delivered them to the shelter. They were thrilled. Sadly, the administrators reported to us they distributed all of the bags in less than three months. Many women and children came through their doors leaving abusive husbands and boyfriends.

It's been years since I left the group, but my "Bag Ladies" project lives on. It's one of the best ways to recycle the stuff you're given as part of your stay in nearly every hotel on the planet. Why not give it to someone who needs it as it just takes a small space in your suitcase to bring home?

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »
That was a great idea. Boy, what I would do to have one of those bags!!  I just called the local food pantry and of course, as my luck goes, distribution is only on Tuesday and Thursday. Guess I will yet again feast on Ramen Noodles again this weekend.

I remember the good ole days, before I had children and didn't have to miss so much work, unpaid, I would donate all my outgrown clothes, can goods etc to local shelters, then when I did have kids I gave all my leftover formula & diapers to women's organizations. It really does feel good to give. Just wish that now, as greedy as it may sound, one of these organizations would "pay it forward" to me, but no such luck.  Anyway, thanks for sharing your soap story.

J
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
                cd4=1250
                cd4=1172 (55%)

cd4=1234

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »
Simple solution I think !!

I travel alot & I collect  the little soaps/shampoos etc & give them to the local Woman's Shelter.

They love them as they can make little kits to give to people who come in for short stays & have no toiletries when they arrive.

Plus you get a Tax Write Off with it!!!

Dennis

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »

Hi Dennis

I cannot imagine an accountant or IRS agent endorsing or allowing such a thing, respectively.

I'm trying to imagine an audit setting where one says, this is amount for the hotel soap I donated.

Em

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:04:49 AM »

Hi Dennis

I cannot imagine an accountant or IRS agent endorsing or allowing such a thing, respectively.

I'm trying to imagine an audit setting where one says, this is amount for the hotel soap I donated.

Em

Well ... as long as you recorded income for the value of the soap as you received it ...

:D

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%

Offline Roie

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »

These Americans are crazy...
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »
Hey every time I take a bag full of the stuff in they give me a blank Tax Ddudtion form to fill out & they have sigend it.
It's not much but something.

It's not the Deduction but the thought & the help that it provides.

You guys mad me laugh thank you been a bad weekend.

::)Dennis :P

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.